Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Spicy 516 vs Canyon Strive AL 8
  • jsinglet

I’m after a longish travel bike, and have come down to these 2.

I prefer the spec of the Spicy, but don’t like the press fit BB and extra 600 quid

The spec of the Canyon looks good, but don’t like the brakes, and I’m still a little nervous of buying a bike I’ve not ridden from Germany.

Opinions? Anyone ridden both?

Ta.

Sancho
    Free Member

Spicy for me as I know how good it is and how it fits. I cant comment on a bike I havent seen or ridden and cant do either without finding someone who owns one to let me have a go.
    I dont trust magazine reviews so like to look / feel before I buy, also Spicy 516 is getting thin on the ground now as sold out in a few sizes so shops with stock are all thats left.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d go for the Spicy too.

Last time I was bike buying I went for something that had a HT2 BB and discounted the Spicy for that reason – and tbh I think I made the wrong decision.

Assuming they’ve solved the short-lived press fit BBs issue on Lapierres now anyway.

EDIT: The YT Wicked 160 looks a lot more comparable to a Spicy though, in terms of the suspension layout.

jsinglet

I’ve looked at the YT WIcked too, don’t fancy BOS suspension though, and didn’t like the spec on the cheaper one.

I might be able to overlook the BB issue, just the £ issue now….

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, yeah I gave the YT a swerve because of Bos’ reputation for customer service.

🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

i have a spicy and i’m pretty sure it’s a regular BB not pressfit. it f*****g rocks!

guy sitting opposite me has ordered a wicked pro. it should have been here this week. he’s not a happy bunny as it isn’t and was already delayed by a fortnight….

flyingfox
    Free Member

It’s your donald duck unfortunately re BB. Almost all of the Zestys and Spicys we’ve sold this year have had Hollowtech bottom brackets but we have had one through with a Pressfit. They are getting phased out so you never know, you might get lucky.

Regardless, you seriously cannot go wrong with a Spicy regardless. Only other bike I’d be buying like that would be a Pivot Firebird.

somafunk

We’ve got a new/unused 2011 medium 316 spicy frame and Float R shock/seatpost/seat/f-mech for sale if you’re interested in a slightly older frame. £600

nickdavies

Before you discount the YT, I think BOS are shortly about to have a UK service centre courtesy of surf sales?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned about any warranty issues with YT with the way that that have comprehensively ignored my mates emails since he paid for his bike.

Twin
    Free Member

Just for balance, I’ve got a strive and its great. Its really good uphill, and comes into its own on the downhill sections, has given me a huge confidence boost. My strava placings on my local trail (Cwmcarn) have gone from being at the 200 mark on my Meta to top 10 on most of the downhill sections – there was a step change about 2 weeks after I’d changed bikes. Full on skill compensation!
    With regard to service issues, Canyon sorted my reverb in a week when it leaked air, contrast that with my mate whose LBS took 5 weeks to sort his.
    Be happy for you to have a go if you’re anywhere near, mine’s a large.

jsinglet

Thanks, but I’m miles away. Did you use the online tool to work out your size? Mine has come out as medium I’m 5’10

marco
    Free Member

Strive ES8 here too. Best bike ive had, Climbs great, goes down even better. Alps, scotland you name it, great spec. Dodgy bearings though!!
    Changed all after 12 months

mikey74
    Free Member

BOS are now serviced by Surf Sales. I have exchanged e-mails with their service technician and they are all set up and ready to go. He was really helpful when I asked some questions about setup.

JTech also service BOS, as do Mad Elk cycles in Ireland, all of which I contacted prior to purchasing my bike.

I have air shocks both front and rear on my Morewood and can thoroughly recommend them. However, they are not like other suspension units in that they are setup from the factory and need very little fettling. Also, the car park test is useless with BOS as they almost feel as if they aren’t working properly, but when you get them on the trail…. 😯

In short: Don’t be put off by the BOS suspension.

sprocker
    Free Member

2010 spicy is the best bike I have ever had and I have had a lot. If only that 2011 was a large 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Spicy 516 vs Canyon Strive AL 8’ is closed to new replies.