Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Speeding on a bike – does this look real/photoshopped?
  • Pieface

Flash on GAtso's is top left corner IIRC – just where that little black square is

wwaswas

would be bottom right looking from front according to this.

njee20
    Free Member

Huh? Wouldn't it be top right, where the flashy looking thing is, as pieface said?

Me and a friend set one off a few years back, 53 in a 40 IIRC, 2 of us though, so bigger 'target' which I suspect is the issue. Never done it since.

martinxyz
    Free Member

is he wearing goggles riding down the street?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I set off the one at the bottom of the hill coming into Brighton on the L2B a couple of years back. I was doing 50 something according to the computer on my bars. I think it is 40mph limit.

Can't remember if I had other riders around me or was on my own. Got a round of applause from the coppers parked there though.

richcc
    Free Member

On occasion I've thought about getting one of these

a yachties radar reflector – tying it to my back and going for a brisk ride around a few speed cameras… Just in the name of science

nbt

Aren't speed cameras digital now?

njee20 – Member

Huh? Wouldn't it be top right, where the flashy looking thing is, as pieface said?

From that pic, top right would be the actual camera…

matthew_h
    Free Member

I think we've probably established that the photo is a set up but I actually quite like it as a shot and think it is quite funny. It's a fun idea and pretty well executed.

Not sure why everyone is getting so hung up on whether it is faked or not. What does it matter?

Andy

matthew_h agreed! I like it and that it is so obviously contrived makes me more impressed!

marionheck
    Free Member

I think it si a very good picture, yes we all knwo it is fake with a remote flash, but the idea behind it is original and well executed.

Good work, i might have to go and replicate it, but with no g@y goggles…

crazy-legs

Similar style of photo here (can't paste it direct, just click on the link):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peakcyclehire/4334772865/in/set-72157623366815508/

taken by Richpips
    his flickr site

aracer
    Free Member

On occasion I've thought about getting one of these

I've thought about making one – advice from somebody in work who works with radar is that the inside corner of a cardboard box covered in alu foil should work quite well (you only need to reflect in one direction). The trouble is, the best local candidate is on the flat after the bottom of the downhill, and it's pretty tough for me to sustain even 32 or 33mph past it.

toys19
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

it's elbry, so it must be true, the highways agency must be his latest sponsor

He is a sponsored rider though see here: link mountain cycles website

I like the pic, who cares if its as et up , its still cool.

samuri
    Free Member

It's not difficult to set of the proper gatso speed cameras. I trigger one near wigan every time I go through it, keep meaning to video myself doing it.

Actually, I'm heading out that way now, do you want me to try and get it on camera?

toys19
    Free Member

Do it! That would be a lot of fun.

samuri
    Free Member

I'll see what I can do, I just need to clear out the memory card of videos of crazy-legs crashing. 😉

samuri
    Free Member

Well this is embarrassing. Every single time, every single time before I've tripped it! Stick a camera on the bike and it stays completely quiet.

Ho hum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ka6PqNN7ew

igm

Fake – what are the chances of timing your shot so that the gatso's flash and your's coincide?

Could be done with an open shutter and a optical slave flash so that the Gatso triggers your (slave flash) but that wasn't how it was done.

The flash by the Gatso is real – either that or someone has spent far to long touching up the shadows – but the power of the camera's flash should drown out the Gatso's flash if it were real – it doesn't look at the shadows on the wall.

If the Gatso's flash was that powerful it would be a road safety hazard for any drvers coming the other way – a little bit blinding.

Oh and the flash by the Gatso is clear of the yellow box by a foot or so.

Overall – nice idea poorly executed (they should have taped the flash to the Gatso and turned the output down a stop or two).

Now I did once get one of the "30 slow down" signs to trigger when I was out on my single speed – checking the Garmin data later said I was doing 30.5mph. It was at the bottom of a big old hill out South Kirby way.

diz

Can you be prosecuted for speeding on a bike?

samuri
    Free Member

They've got to catch you first.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Speeding on a bike – does this look real/photoshopped?’ is closed to new replies.