Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Speeding fines: I'm a bit confused.
  • druidh
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17115011

Sunderland footballer Nicklas Bendtner has been banned from driving for 56 days and fined £660 after he was caught speeding in his Porsche.

The 24-year-old striker was clocked at 103mph on the Woolsington bypass, near Newcastle Airport, in December.[quote]The solicitor said his client had “substantial” disposable income and could pay the fine immediately with a credit card.
    Chairman of the bench Edward Wardrobe imposed the 56-day driving ban, and fined the footballer £660, plus £30 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

No penalty points were added to the three Bendtner has on his licence.[/quote]???

wwaswas

Ban instead of points.

scaredypants

No points because he wasn’t endangering anyone – that useless arse couldn’t hit something if he tried !!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So does a 56 day ban equate to 3 points then?

druidh
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

That would be an interesting option to offer.

jon1973
    Free Member

I don’t think it was an alternative, just the penalty he was given. His licence will still be endorsed long after the ban I would imagine.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No points because he wasn’t endangering anyone

I don’t believe I was either while doing 36 in a 30 zone at 06.42 one Sunday morning last June, on the way to work. I STILL GOT 3 POINTS THOUGH!!

druidh
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member
    His licence will still be endorsed.

But not with points?

donsimon
    Free Member

Non UK licence?

jon1973
    Free Member

But not with points?

No, but it’s still something you have to declare to the insurance company. I’d say a ban is probably worse than points in insurance terms. With drink driving, for example you don’t get points, you get a ban and an endorsement.

edit. Effectively it’s like accumulating 12 points in one go/

druidh
    Free Member

Except that it doesn’t “tot up”, so if you can do without your vehicle for a few weeks and you have a well-above-average income, it’s carte blanche to be a danger on the roads?

cchris2lou

yes probably foreign licence , I dont have uk one and never get points , just fines .

jon1973
    Free Member

dunno, if you accumulate 12 points, you get a ban, and then get your licence back after a certain time and presumably loose some of those points, it’s sort of the same thing really, except you get it in one go.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

You don’t get points AND a ban. It’s one or the other.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No, but it’s still something you have to declare to the insurance company. I’d say a ban is probably worse than points in insurance terms.
    Thats probly true, I’ve just got some quotes for my insurance & declared said 3 POINTS! on my app & amazingly had a quote for £23 less than I paid last year!

donsimon
    Free Member

With drink driving, for example you don’t get points, you get a ban and an endorsement.

Except that, and unless the law has changed since my DR10, you do get points (3 I think) for the following ten years. Not something to take lightly.

jon1973
    Free Member

my mate got done and he never got any points, just a fine and a ban, and an endorsement that stayed on his licence for 10 years, that was about 10 years ago.

donsimon
    Free Member

There must have been a change then, mine was nearly 30 yrs ago. 😆
    I think I had 7 points for 3 years followed by 3 points until the ten years was up.
    It was a good job the first car I bought after the ban still had 1100cc on the log book to keep the insurance down. 😈

Tracker1972
    Free Member

12 points isn’t an automatic ban. I got 12 totting up but they didn’t ban me as I would have lost my job. Really felt like I got away with it (and would have lost the job I had) and was more cautious of speed limits after that so in my case it was reasonably effective.

Cougar

12 points isn’t an automatic ban; speeding isn’t an automatic three+ points.

The law says (IIRC and paraphrasing) that you’re “eligible” for a ban / points. In practical terms, this means that you will get them unless there’s a reason not to. So, you’d probably escape a ban in “unnecessary hardship” cases, and escape points where a ban was more appropriately enforced instead.

I think.

Cougar

12 points isn’t an automatic ban. I got 12 totting up but they didn’t ban me as I would have lost my job. Really felt like I got away with it

Yeah, that would be unnecessary hardship. You probably didn’t get away with it though; they’d have rammed the fine right up instead.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Yea, £300 and it was about 17 years ago? But was still less than a weeks wage at the time, so yea, I was lucky/grateful.

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Magistrates’ Court, consistency and logic not to be expected. Although the sentence in this case may have been entirely appropriate of course.

nick1962
    Free Member

Isn’t it about time they updated “costs” .£30 quid wouldn’t even cover the the brief’s lunch!
    And WTF is the £15 victim surcharge in a speeding case all about?

pottsathome
    Free Member

12 years ago I was on 9 points all for speeding in work vans. Silly I know but I got caught again and instead of giving me more points I got a month ban. Got licence back still with 9 points and the ban on it aswell. Cracking months holiday though

jon1973
    Free Member

And WTF is the £15 victim surcharge in a speeding case all about?

I think that entitles you to punch the magistrate on the nose on the way out of the court.

GrahamS

12 points isn’t an automatic ban;

Almost half of all drivers with 12 points do not receive a ban!

vinnyeh

yes probably foreign licence , I dont have uk one and never get points , just fines .

unlikely, you can’t drive on a foreign licence for more than a year

Additionally, he already has 3 points on his licence.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

If you get banned for 8 weeks or over, then you get your license back clean. If the ban is for less than 8 weeks, you get the license back with the points on. Looks like Bendtner’s solicitor has done his job well.

jota180
    Free Member

unlikely, you can’t drive on a foreign licence for more than a year

Surely you can with a EU licence?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Most insurance companies take no notice of 3 points for speeding. Many don’t load you for 6 points for speeding. They all increase premiums for a ban and usually ask if you have ever been disqualified but are only concerned about speeding points in the last 5 years.
    Years ago a pal and I went to court for the same speeding offence. We were “chased” by an unmarked Police car for more than 20 miles. The summons went on for 3 pages listing every single speed limit that we broke on our mid eighties sports bikes. The summons made no mention of the bloke in the Maserati that we “making progress” with along the dual carriage way and he did not get pulled over.
    So both motorcyclists end up in court on different days. My mate got a 56 day ban and I got away with 3 points and a £100 fine. The only difference was that I had a letter from my then boss who was a big cheese in the Free Masons and I can only presume that the Magistrate was a trouser roller too.

compositepro
    Free Member

Substantial disposable income and footballer. Cant see how he’s going to be bothered how much his insurance goes up really

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Speeding fines: I'm a bit confused.’ is closed to new replies.