Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spectacles Online
  • Marge
    Free Member

Anyone got any good recommendations for online spectacle shops?

I need a new pair of glasses & the service I receive locally isn’t good enough to generate any kind of loyalty…

footflaps
    thehustler
    Free Member

And you think you will get better from an online spectacle shop? who is going to do the measuring/fitting of the new glasses? Oh the irony……….

theotherjonv

I read it more as that he doesn’t get very good service in physical shops, so why pay the premium when he can get similar service online?

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I went on Saturday to my local independent after buying online last year and never really being happy with the fit of the glasses etc.

Great experience from the eye test and how things were explained to selecting the glasses and lenses

Superb service and with discounts I believe not far off the price of going online, certainly not cheap but got some Oakley frames with interchangeable lenses in end so happy enough.

If near Sheffield then I recommend Bird Opticians

Marge
    Free Member

an online spectacle shop? who is going to do the measuring/fitting of the new glasses? Oh the irony……….

That’s just it…
    They didn’t seemingly do anything.
    I’m only a specs wearer & not an optician so if I’m overlooking something apologies to those in the trade

The rayban frames that I currently have feel identical to the ‘0ff the shelf’ ones in the shop

My prescription hasn’t changed in I don’t know how long so not sure what service they are providing

Honest question: if I’m over simplifying it tell me….

Rio

For my last pair I used specsuperstore. Very fast service and good if you know what you’re looking for, i.e. all the measurements.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few from Zenni. http://www.zennioptical.com/
    They are based in California, but seems the glasses are actually made in Hong Kong, and shipped direct from there. Delivery took a couple of weeks.
    I paid about $50 per pair, I have a pretty strong prescription, so costs a bit more for thin lenses etc.

windydave13
    Free Member

Glasses123 for me. Sign up the the newsletter for extra discount. Used them for my last 4 sets of oakleys.

slowoldman

Hrrmph. Another online service which says I can’t have the prescription I’m currently wearing in the style of frames I’m currently wearing.

jkomo

Make sure you can return for any reason, I’ve seen some shocking specs from online, and some which looked okay.
    One was from a Far East manufacturer, so wouldn’t accept a return.
    Price up a proper shop though, online isn’t always a lot cheaper.

jeff

Had 2 pairs from http://www.rxsport.co.uk/ now – seems good service and it’s easy to talk to helpful people on the phone.

RustyNissanPrairie

Bought quite a few pairs of Alain Miki and starkk glasses from Pretavoir. Good prices and quick.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Glasses direct. Often with vouchers from money saving expert. They are happy to discuss and advise and clear on what they can’t do. Good trial frames service. It has allowed me to have several pairs of decent glasses in several places.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Honest question: if I’m over simplifying it tell me….

My usual optician (bless ’em) remembers who I am vaguely and where I work, and we have a little chat while he’s checking how much blinder I’ve got.

His lovely assistant then spends ages putting different frames on me and sizing me up, which she does with a sort of slightly-flirty cheerfulness that makes me think that the set of frames she prefers must make me look absolutely amazing. She once said “I feel sorry for the wives. It’s such an important decision, buying glasses, and I’m the one making it”. All this results in me being very pleased with my glasses.

I don’t claim that any of this is worth the premium I pay, but there you are!

8)

footflaps

Price up a proper shop though, online isn’t always a lot cheaper.

In my experience about 1/3 the price and with better service.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spectacles Online’ is closed to new replies.