Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Awning for a day van? Camper complete novice content
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My recently bought Transit connect (LWB High roof) stealth camper has a C rail installed along the passenger side above the sliding door. I’d like something reasonably priced to use at events/weekends away so that I can have the slide out bed inside the van left in place, and can cook/sit in an awning and a place to spanner etc, so I’d prefer sides, but I don’t really require a full on camping type set up.

My mates and I have a race size gazebo, but if I’m off on my own it’s a bit much.

I haven’t a clue where to start tbh, but obviously a lot of folks on here will have similar set ups/experiences.

VanHalen

Just get something that clips to the c rail.

Or I have a ‘sail’ which I can drape over van with a couple of front poles and guy ropes. It’s a glorified tarp but does the job. Would much prefer something tailor made but didn’t want to screw holes in van or a c rail as I wanted to keep the clean look. [Poncy vw owner]

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/tents-awnings
    Not sure if you can get sides in place of the full on tents, but they would be easy enouigh to make using tarps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Khyam do one with removable sides but they’re not waterproof (its meant to be more of a sun shade). Once you’ve factored in the sides etc its about £150 though I think.

We’ve got a massive Khyam awning for when we’re away for more than a few days – the rest of the time we have a Decathlon tarp which we’ve sewn a kador rail onto. Cost less than £30 – job done.

MrSparkle

I knocked this up out of an old tent. I finally got to use it when we bobbed over to Britanny last month. Its not ideal but it’s ok. Cost me nowt.

dknwhy

Decathlon tarp?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon Trap and Kador rail sounds okay, I’ll look into that.

What about this –

=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTDOOR-REVOLUTION-Tech-Canopy-240-sun-canopy-awning-camper-van-caravan-/301748798036?hash=item4641a14254

Mugboo

After much debate we’ve bought a Coleman Event Shelter. Thought it would work as a makeshift awning for our van or tent or rainy BBQ’s…

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Another vote for the Decathlon tarp,
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tarp-camping-shelter-dark-green-id_2363223.html

For £20 this is a really versatile bit of kit.
    We’ve used it at the front of a tent in a similar way to how you are proposing. Totally waterproof and comes with enough guy ropes and metal poles to configure in many ways.

There are riveted holes at each corner so you can go for a two pole at the front arrangement. We found the single pole better as you can get more height and the angle means rain runs off rather than forming a puddle. Poles come in short sections so you can build them up as required.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks ace, the single pole does look far better for rain pooling.

ElShalimo

Rain “pooling” is avoided with a two pole awning by having them set at different heights. If you go down the sacrificing an old tent route a hacksaw will be useful

nickjb
    Free Member

We use a coleman awning. Keeps the rain off and makes a nice big space. No sides but low enough to offer some shelter. Single curved pole at the front. We drape the whole thing over the roof to act as curtains but there are a few ways to mount it. Packs up small and quick to put up.

Stoner
    Free Member

any tarp can be fitted to a c rail by sewing a piping into one seam.

A couple of replacement tent poles from an online seller, a tarp and some nylon cord sewn in as a piping, 2 guys, and you have a simple awning.

This one is a reimo basic awning that slides into the reimo multi rail c section.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

4×4 meter DD tarp (£42) and two aldi telescopic washing line poles (£3.99 each) cheap and very efficient.

ive emailed you a couple of pics 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Awning for a day van? Camper complete novice content’ is closed to new replies.