Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Specialized Pitch Pro 2011 – Thoughts please
  • mdb
    Free Member

Who owns one and what they like?

Seems like alot of bike for the money and a good platform for future upgrades. I note forks this year not as good as 2010 but better brakes this year.

Planning on using it for a bit of fun at trail centres and local spots at North Downs and here in B-Right-On.

Cheers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Forks not as good? 10mm more travel, weighs about a lb less, same damper, which bits not as good?

mdb
    Free Member

Spoon – easy tiger, just personal choice that’s all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well if your after older heavier forks I’ve some marzocchi z1 RC2’s I’ll happily swap for them :p

mdb
    Free Member

And your thoughts on the bike itself?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Demo’d one of the older ones, great, if a bit too stable for my liking, felt more like a light DH bike where you could just point and shoot and pop it off lips. Whereas even bigger heavier bikes like the reign-x felt like they were more alive. It was a badly set up example (forks had obviously been jetwashed to within an inch of their life and were completely dry, shock was too hard) but the prophet I demo’d later was much more involving (although it had the oppoite problem, everything was loose, and isnt available anymore).

MentalMickey
    Free Member
    lucien

Buy one – will tackle anything you throw at it. I’ve got a 2010 with Pikes, put some ZTR flows on it and if I put a lower volume tyre then can razz most XC stuff and stay on the bike all day. Climbs fantastically well and I have one with an RP2 so can lock front and rear shocks which makes it even better climbing.

Took it to the alps last year as well – put a 200mm rotor on the back (comes with a 185 I think) and some Vanilla 36’s and it was equally as awesome – tackled some big drops (4/5ft) no problem, jumps well and handles well as BB is quite low.

I couldn’t recommened it enough and it’s my favoured ride in a stable of bikes

seanodav
    Free Member

The pitch is the same from 2008 onwards, just a few parts changed here and there. Was given 10 out of 10 from the mags in 2008.
    I love mine, couldnt think of anything i would change it for.
    Used for all day rides as well as playing about on.

ash

nice

Northwind

Only ridden the older model but it was bloody brilliant. Only reason I didn’t get one was that the used prices were so daft- one guy offered to sell me a well used one for £900 and would include the receipt, which showed he paid… £900. Ta but no. (there was a critical shortage of new Poo Brown ones and nothing else would do)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

tackled some big drops (4/5ft) no problem

It must be good

bloodynora
    Free Member

Concur what others have said. I have the 08 brown/bronze version. But think the latest ones still get good reviews and write-ups. As above used for XC, trails and messing about on. Excellent bike out of the box and very upgradeable if needs be. Buy one 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Love mine. It’s my only MTB and I wouldn’t swap it for anything.

sv

Love mine (now with Lyriks and a DHX5), prefer to use it for more downward pointing stuff 😉

sv

Forks not as good? 10mm more travel, weighs about a lb less, same damper, which bits not as good?

Less weight = more flexing, maybe?

BoardinBob

Hold off for a month until Dales in Glasgow do their usual 20% off everything post xmas sale. They’re Specialized dealers

waliboy

I’d be wary about waitng for the sale option, given their popularity I doubt you’ll be the only one and Specialized seem to have sold out of Pitches on numerous occasions over the last few years.

It’s a great bike if you’re going for a ‘one bike to rule them all’ option. I’ve got a 2009 Pitch Comp that has been upgraded over time, the wheels that came on mine were quite pants and didn’t last too many descents in the Lakes and I upgraded the rear shock to an RP23 but the current pro has an RP2 which is nice. You can lighten it to under 30lbs or bulk it up but unless you’re racing downhill or hucking massive drops (oooh I don’t think I’ve ever managed to use that comedy phrase before) you’ll break before it does.

bloodynora
    Free Member

sv… How you finding the Lyriks on yours? Have just ordered a set of 160 coils… Pikes have been ok but wanted a bit of extra travel

sv

Just got them and haven’t had a chance to test them yet! Feels a bit slacker again but have been out in my Inbred for the last couple of months so it probably would. Looking forward to a good hard run on them. The Pikes were fine and had just got mine Pushed, they are now for sale, typical.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Cheers sv…Same here really, been having fun on my Ti lately, though still love the Pitch and the ride it gives… Pikes for sale here too I guess!

sv

though still love the Pitch and the ride it gives…

It is indeed enjoyable!

pedalphile
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’09 Pitch Pro (in the poo brown, which i love). It’s a fantastic bike that can aim to do almost anything you need. I’ve got mine setup for “aggressive all mountain” use. I’ve done Fort William a couple times on it and it handled really well. Climbs great, stable, fast, and very capable. Best of all, this year’s colourway looks awesome!

They’re fantastic bikes for the money. If I had to I would absolutely buy mine all over again.

spock
    Free Member

The forks ARE worse than the pikes, the 2011 uses sektors with the turnkey damper so not the proper moco damper you get in the pikes.
    The forks i’ve used with turnkey dampers have been poor

Northwind

Nope, according the Specialized they’re motion control Sektors on the Pro, and Turnkey on the Comp. Though some shops do seem confused on this.

Turnkey’s OK I guess, I had it in my Toras but it’d really struggle with the use a Pitch is capable of.

mdb
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. Sounds like this could be the bike for me. Just need to get my leg over a large to find out for sure.

By the way the Pro comes with the Turn Key damper. Full spec here

So what is the issue with Turn Key exactly?

mdb
    Free Member

EDIT – on the Spesh website it says the Pro comes with Motion Control so i guess i need to see one in the flesh to be sure.

seanodav
    Free Member

Be carefull with size! they are quite big ime, the large is pretty LARGE

mdb
    Free Member

I’m 6 2″ so i’m certain size large will be ok but test ride will tell me for sure.

pedalphile
    Free Member

You can see the Motion Control sticker right there in the picture.

Naranjada
    Free Member

mdb – I have one, it’s a bog-standard 2010 (Feb) in L and hasn’t been used since June- it is in fantastic condition and is for sale at a good price.

I’m also 6’2″ and the L is a perfect size.

Drop me a mail (in profile) if you’d like to discuss.

Cheers,
    Iain

lucien

Mines a large and I’m 5′ 11″

monkeyg1
    Free Member

I really like the spec of this bike but prefer the colours of the FSR Comp (red/black). Is it easy enough to purchase the comp and upgrade the parts to be the same as the pro? Or is this just rediculous and expensive?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy the fsr comp. Carry one of these around with you if you want to look at nice colours you prefer.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch Pro 2011 – Thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.