Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Specialized Grid Side Wall Issues ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Been very impressed so far with my Purgatory, Slaughter Grid combo on my short travel bike, so much so I was thinking of using the Butcher Slaughter combo on the longer travel bike I’m taking to Spain next month.

…but Specialized tyres I believe come with a reputation for crap side walls and seeing a Control version destroyed recently I wondered if anyone had any experience of the new Grid versions on more aggressive terrain ?

Cheers.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the butcher GRID and slaughter GRID are two difference carcasses over the purgatory GRID

the butcher and slaughter GRID’s are much beefier/thicker than the purg grids (that I slashed) they haven’t redisgned the case on the purgatory grid for some reason

if your short travel bike has a slaughter GRID on the back then that’s as beefy as they get,

I wouldn’t touch control personally unless folk always ride trail centres, and I wouldn’t have another purgatory grid, until they update it to the latest carcass like on the butcher/slaughter GRID

for reference which is always a good thing to go off for slash-a-bility look at the weights on the American spesh site

purgatory grid = 725 grams (or similar)

slaughter grid = 950 grams

butcher grid = 920 grams

I wouldn’t touch anything under 900 grams for a allmount tyre really and when I have ive had them slashed/fail pretty much immediately

devash
    Free Member

Never had any issues with either the Control or Grid casings I’ve been running for the past year and I ride very rocky alpine trains in the north of Italy where I’m currently living.

I’d recommend the Grid primarily because for only an extra fiver you get a little bit more piece of mind and the weight penalty is only 50 grams or so (weighed on my own scales).

EDIT: I’m currently running a Purg Grid on the front and Ground Control Grid rear.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Garburn, Ullock pike, Three passes, Four passes, Sticks pass, Dollywaggon pike….. and many more have failed to put as much as a mark on my Purg grid sidewalls. They’re going to Ciclo Montana next month too, great tyre.

I’m 6’2″, 16 stone and not the most graceful rider either. 😆

excitable1
    Free Member

Understand that… so anyone tried the new Butcher and Slaughter Grid in tough terrain ? These tyres are 100g lighter and cheaper than most others eg WTB Trail Boss & Mavic Roam, so I’m just trying to see if thats at the expense of side walls that can withstand gnarly conditions, even if they have been redesigned.

excitable1
    Free Member

Garburn, Ullock pike, Three passes, Four passes, Sticks pass, Dollywaggon pike….. and many more have failed to put as much as a mark on my Purg grid sidewalls. They’re going to Ciclo Montana next month too, great tyre.

…there you go, thats exactly the answer I was looking for, and I suppose if the Butcher, Slaughter Grid is a new improved design over that then I should be fine !

Thanks Nobeerinthefridge. You should check out the Slaughter BTW, very impressed so far !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Grid Side Wall Issues ?’ is closed to new replies.