Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Specialized Enduro 29er – have we hated this yet?
  • alex222
    Free Member

Can people not work on their gears or something?

Ive never had any issues with either sram or shimano.

Not the function of either. It’s the way a sram mech will smash into a million shards if you look at it wrong.

[edit]Plus Shimano a)has pedigree and b)looks way nicer[/edit]

Tracey

On my third Enduro and they just get better. Latest one is fitted with Sram kit which feels alot smoother than our other bikes XT kit

First one

Second

Latest

You can still buy the full range of 26rs in the US but are limmited to whats on offer here

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice Enduros there Tracey.

No idea what’s going on with the SRAM hating, love mine. But then I like my Avids too.

Lots of compromise is made for a frame to accept a front mech, glad someone is starting to do things the right way round.

Am wondering why people just don’t use BB mounted front mechs? Are they rubbish? Use a BB mounted chain guide which works just fine.

wwaswas

problem is getting tyre clearnace to run a front mech mrblobby – 29ers with reasonable length chainstays tend to pusah the tyre very close to the chainset and the mech hits the tyre.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Even with a BB mounted one? I thought the problem was usually the need for a seatpost and the clamp. Or does the gubbins of the mech still get in the way? Gone 1×10 some time ago which is a much better solution!

honourablegeorge

deanfbm – Member
    Can people not work on their gears or something?

Ive never had any issues with either sram or shimano.

I can’t be the only one who is uttely indifferent to the whole debate, am I? SRAM & Shimano are all the same to me, as long as it works, and they both work fine, in my experience. TBH, gears are way done the list of priorities, below things like tyres, brakes, suspension, etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

SRAM 9spd was always great, 10spd is dire by comparison.

There is a reason why SRAM’s aftermarket groupset sales are virtually non existent in the UK. No one wants it.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

It is unfortunate that the big companies seem to get better deals with SRAM than Shimano.
    People who ride SRAM either use it because it came on their complete bike or they are quite keen on anodized bits to match the rest of their bike.
    A mate even specced SRAM redline on his custom build Heckler so that all the red bits of everything matched up – bad choice in my view.
    ‘Form over Function’.

traildog
    Free Member

My SRAM stuff worked great to start with as well. But fell apart after about 6 months. Nothing to do with working on gears, the stuff just wasn’t as well made and didn’t last as long as Shimano, so I eventually swapped back after several sets. It all shifts gears well, and feels nice to start with, but I’m someone who likes stuff to last a while rather than always having to ‘upgrade’.

Just run 10speed and stop worrying about having to have 11gears. I’m using 1×9 at the moment and will lose no sleep over not having a very expensive 11speed setup.

I love the look of the bike. 29ers are apparently great for enduro – do none of you read Dirt?

ac282

Am ia the only one who likes gripshift? I;e just got STIs again and I’m finding them annoying

Mikkel
    Free Member

I want my Camber painted like that.

alex222
    Free Member

Am ia the only one who likes gripshift?

Yes

flange
    Free Member

I don’t know why Spec insists on running cables under the BB like that. Its the same on my 29er Camber and they just look a mess.

Enduro looks lovely. I’m inclined to agree with those that say a long travel 9’er isn’t going to ride our UK trails as well as a 26 inch, mine feels quite a bit more cumbersome on some stuff than the Five I also had. However, climbing and flat/gradual up hill stuff its much faster so IMO the bigger wheels are a compromise. I’m still not convinced it’s as much fun to ride as my Five but I think once I get used to it I’ll feel as confident again.

I do like that S Works paint job though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t know why Spec insists on running cables under the BB like that

Easiest way of avoiding all the shock and linkages?

And short of trials I can’t envisage a trail twisty enough that 26″ would be advantageous. Heck even trials seems to have gone upto 24″ (or down from 26″, but arguably those moving down are doing so becasue the bigger option is now there rather than 20″).

Gotama
    Free Member

On the plus side the front mech mount is not proprietary tech so hopefully we’ll start seeing more manufacturers shortening chainstays.

Northwind

Orangejohn – Member

People who ride SRAM either use it because it came on their complete bike

I used 9-speed SRAM because I liked it more than Shimano- less finicky, better shifting feel, none of that orrible wooly “is the lever connected to anything” thing. And sure the mechs weren’t as well made but on the other hand, they still worked after they were wobbly and dented.

I use 10-speed Shimano because the first thing Shimano did when designing their 10-speed kit was to steal all of SRAM’s best ideas. So the shifters feel like SRAM 9, clunk click, and the cable pull is almost identical to SRAM. (but not quite! Because that would be too obvious). My Saint-on-XT set is a very moving homage to my old X9. (whereas 10-speed XTR still feels like 9-speed Shimano, ie, like it’s broken)

Course, you have to be mental to buy a SRAM groupset because it’ll have a Truvativ crank and Avid brakes.

flange
    Free Member

And short of trials I can’t envisage a trail twisty enough that 26″ would be advantageous. Heck even trials seems to have gone upto 24″ (or down from 26″, but arguably those moving down are doing so becasue the bigger option is now there rather than 20″).

To be fair, I’ve noticed it on normal trails like Swinley. I’m not talking about ‘perform a 3 point turn to get round’ type of stuff, but more fairly sharp corners where it takes a noticeable effort over a 26’er to get it turned. It could also be that I seem to be moving faster and hence everything is happening a bit quicker – but it’s definitely more effort to get a niner round a corner…

wrecker
    Free Member

Each to his own. I prefer 26ers and I think I always will.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

People who ride SRAM either use it because it came on their complete bike or they are quite keen on anodized bits to match the rest of their bike.

Or because we prefer it.

Also just moved to grip shift post thumb injury. Wish I’d tried it sooner.

I would also avoid the cranks and brakes so not buying a groupset.

ask1974
    Free Member

Had my first experience with sram when lent a ride by LBS whilst my bike was serviced. XO throughout, I appreciate I have just the one experience to go by but it was so good to give it back, XT/XTR on my bike much better IMO. Nothing wrong with SRAM but I can see why some don’t like it.

Love the look of the Enduro, couldn’t give a monkeys about wheel size just as long as it rides nice. Totally agree with everyone’s comments about knocking a bike without testing, how anyone can assume they know how a bike performs without trying it is beyond me…

nicemates
    Free Member

Think it looks great, but no one seems to have mentioned the alarming lack of tyre clearance. Not sure the super short chainstays are worth that mud faff?
    I had a 2011 Enduro, the bikes have definitely come of age, ridiculously good at climbing, yet have the stable feeling of downhill bike when it’s point the right way, no reason to think why this isn’t even better… as long as you live in California..

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro 29er – have we hated this yet?’ is closed to new replies.