Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized Butcher and Purgatory control 29er
  • widge34
    Free Member

Are these tyres any good in the wet and mud?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes

trusty

Yes, but as good as storms around here.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Limited experience so far, but yes.

widge34
    Free Member

I’m sure the Storms would be better. Have you got storms front and back Trusty?

trusty

Yep. I’d talk to climb on and try to do a deal with the bike on some. Unless you can get those beavers cheap still in 29?

h4muf
    Free Member

Storm rear and Purg front for me.

Sketchy but predictable imho.

widge34
    Free Member

I can get two storms for £48

failedengineer

I’ve been using a Purg. Control on the rear, in the mud. Seems OK. Let’s face it, when it’s really muddy, no MTB tyres are much use. The Purg. Control rolls quite fast, too, so it’s win-win.

JCL
    Free Member

They’re 50a so not quite as sticky as Minions but they’re still good tires (Butcher Especially).

The better tyre is the Grid as opposed to Control as the sidewalls offer a bit more support and are less pingy.
    Not a huge weight penalty and definitely the way to go on the front at least.

davenorth1
    Free Member

good tyres pal

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I use Purg Control F & R.

Excellent in all conditions so far.

Bought one from my local Specialized dealer that is 2.2 & one off eBay that is 2.3?

The tread is very slightly different too…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Storms are fantastically grippy on mud in a straight line, very much less so as soon as you lean into a corner. The purg grids look like a very good compromise between the purg and the storm, I’ll need to get a hold of one.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Is the Purg Grid not just a Purg Control with extra sidewall protection?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Butcher and Purgatory control 29er’ is closed to new replies.