Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Specialized BG Defroster boot – stinking!
  • TheYeti
    Free Member

Can anyone help?

I bought these from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop in Edin in November, have used them three times, dried them well after each ride, now they smell of cat piss and I have to keep them outside. Nice. £100 mind!

I’ve tried washing them, washing-machine-ing them with disinfectant (x2), de-odorants and talcum powder. An improvement but they still smell.

EBC aren’t interested. They don’t think they are that bad, apparently some odour is to be expected(!) and I am the only one that has complained.

Any advice?

shortcut

I can offer you sympathy. My Spesh BG Defrosters don’t stink. But my Shimano M82’s (I think) that really honked after about 4 rides, the last which was the Mountain Mayhem and therefore quite wet.

If it helps I am using trainer tamers or something similar to keep the smell of my M82’s at bay and they are now allowed in the kitchen. I wouldn’t want to leave them in the car overnight though.

I did some something on Watchdog some time ago about Nike (I think) having to recall some specific models of shoe or boot for the same reason. I believe something to do with either glue or lining.

thomthumb
    Free Member

have you tried one of thoise microwave things? some walking shops have them.

nuke the buggers

Albanach
    Free Member
    JAG

You could put them in a plastic bag and then put the bag and shoes in the freezer over night.

The cold (-22C) will kill the bacteria that are causing the smell.

GrahamA
    Free Member

now they smell of cat piss and I have to keep them outside

Are you sure that they are not being pissed on by a cat?

TheYeti
    Free Member

Fair question! but no, they went manky in the house. by “outside” I mean in the car actually, so no, not actually pissed on :O)

mrnmissespanda

How do the Defrosters compare to lake mxz302 in terms of warmth?

Thanks

Panda

shinsplints

what albanach said – been there with my sons football boots with the catpiss smell,its vile.Left bicarb in them for a few days,kept topping it up,just enough to cover the insole.Sorted. 😀

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Did anyone see watchdog a while back? Had an article on the stinky football boots. It was caused by a layer of cotton sandwiched between man made stuff. It was getting wet but was sealed well enough to lock the moisture in and it wasn’t being able to dry out – major design fault

TheYeti
    Free Member

Update:

Freezing them for a week had no affect whatsoever.

Soaking in bicarb for three days helped quite a bit, say 50% reduction in pong. They are now not stinking out the flat.

Good work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Specialized BG Defroster boot – stinking!’ is closed to new replies.