Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • SPDs … training
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Took delivery of my new SPDs last Friday and, thanks to all the advice on this fourm, was certainly aware of plenty of the common pitfalls/pratfalls. I haven't come a cropper yet, but have been taking it steady, from clipping in/out propped up in the kitchen, to road practice, to easy trail so far. A few near misses …

The only hiccups I've had so far have been with an over-enthusiastic fussy dog (with no fear of bikes) and a sudden steep and rocky ascent that was enough to make me unclip and walk. I'm not sure if I would have walked it on flat pedals … would have been a close call.

All in all, so far, I love the feeling of being clipped in and not having the risk of my feet slipping off – I do prefer this. It's really positive on the uphill bits.

I suppose my next question is, how do I push the limits of what I can do? Is it a steady progression of trying things out and tottering off when all else fails, or are there SPD-specific techniques that you guys can advise on? I'm up for giving it a go and can't realistically see myself going back to flats for the time-being. Thanks for the heads up on this 😆

BTW I've got bog standard Shimano M520s (on the slackest setting) and (comfortable but deeply unfashionable) Shimano WM41s.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's all nonsense about better pedalling and all that. Best thing about SPDS is no slipping and the cheating that comes from lifting the back wheel with your feet!

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Ok, so how do I do bunny hops? Had a little try the other day and could see the potential (to crash if I don't land right)

Actually the pedalling felt smoother though …

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘SPDs … training’ is closed to new replies.