Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SPD TRAIL PEDALS
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

so do the new style of spd pedals with the cage ie XT Trail really give better platform or is the clip to proud of rest of pedal for shoe to touch?

rocketman
    Free Member

Depends on your shoes. They have to work with all SPD shoes & I can feel the cage through my old MP66s but not enough to make any difference. Can’t feel it through some newer M162s.

The cage makes it easier to flick them round and clip in and it can be a psychological prop when not clipped in but for me they feel like any other SPD pedal

Bregante

I have both and really can’t tell the difference once clipped in tbh

glen815
    Free Member

I have both and prefer the caged. So much so I have two sets of XT.

Gotama
    Free Member

I have both and prefer the ones without the cage. Using both with race style shoes and am45. In my opinion the cage doesn’t really do anything more than the body of the un-caged pedal if you’re stabbing at it and miss the cleat. You can sort of perch on both but with negligible grip. In fact i tend to find it harder to hit the cleat first time with the caged version as opposed to the uncaged version. With both shoes the cage gives no support when clipped in. You would need really flexy shoes to get that. Perhaps the crank brothers mallets would provide extra support but not the shimano spds.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Great i have 2 pairs of XT and one M540s.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t think you get any extra support once clipped in but they do seem easier to locate and clip into and I’m less scared of riding unclipped for a few seconds. That’s with 661 Filter SPDs by the way.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Had ‘trail’ pedals for a while now – I wouldn’t go back to conventional spds again.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a set of the XT 785 Trail pedals for sale at £35 if anyone is interested. Used once so in great condition.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

cheers guys

pretty much as i thought so not convinced they would be any better for me.

righog
    Free Member

What Grum said, I cant really tell much difference when clipped in, but i can clip in much faster with the caged pedals.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am a recent convert (from plain spds) but not convinced.

Main plus – much easier to locate and clip in (snow and ice excepted)
    Marginal plus – feeling of bigger platform (not sure how real this is)
    Major minus – (mine) need more precision clipping out especially at low speed. Need to be exited more precisely and this has led to many falls on short steep bits when going really slowly and suddenly need to be dabbed down. They only release at very specific angles even on loosest settings and I find this very disconcerting!

chrismac

Much prefer the trail ones as I can clip in much quicker and easier. I also like the fact that the cage takes the rock strikes and not the rest of the pedal.

chris_db
    Free Member

Much better than the old ones imho, got them on both my bikes now.

Chris

bigyinn
    Free Member

M540s.

These aren’t trail pedals though.

james
    Free Member

“i tend to find it harder to hit the cleat first time with the caged version as opposed to the uncaged version. With both shoes the cage gives no support when clipped in. You would need really flexy shoes to get that”

+1
    With ‘race’/xc stylee SPD shoes I find caged M530’s harder to locate/clip into than ‘cageless’ M520 or M540
    With ‘hike-a-bike’ shoes (Spesh Tahoe’s) that do have a flexyish sole, to the point that using with M520 orM540 over alpine/big lakes descents they make for ‘hot spots’ on your feet around the cleat.
    Using Tahoe’s with M530’s they don’t do this. There is a small amount more of ‘platform’ just around the cleat inself. The ‘bars/bumper’s out front/back are too low to do anything bar smash into things, thouhg ime M520’s/M540’s will take loads of rock smashes and things no problem at all

IainAhh
    Free Member

Are these any better than the older style.

Something like the Shimano M545 with the aluminum platform.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=771

Have had them on bikes for years. Do give something to put your foot on if not clipped in.

mboy
    Free Member

Mister P

Can’t find an email address for you… Still got the M785 Trails? And do they come with any cleats?

Cheers

Mister-P
    Free Member

YGM

singlespeedstu

The XT trail pedal has a bigger support area than the xt race pedal.
    The front and back bit of the cage make no difference to the support though.

That’s why some people have been buying the trail pedal and sawing the cage off.

These are XTR’s but it shows the difference between trail and race.

boxfish
    Free Member

Another point you may like to consider is, if your SPD shoes have toe studs, the cage on the 985s can make clipping in/out trickier.

crush83
    Free Member

I have the xt trail caged spd’s they work for me because when I’m not on the trail I cycle to work on them just in boots. Saves changing pedals mid week.

andyl
    Free Member

I have M540s and M530 trail spds. Much prefer the trail ones. Want to get some more.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Sorry meant M530s have to many pedals 😀

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Swapped to M530s from Eggbeaters. I prefer the feel of the SPDs to the CBs. Don’t really know how much of a difference the cage makes, but for a mincer like me it’s a psychological boost to know I won’t slip right off the pedal and thump my head on my stem if I miss the engagement.

Mackem

I bought the M530 as a cheap interim pedal. 2 years later, still using them, great pedal, dirt cheap, a few grams heavier and look like they have more of a platform than the proper XT trail pedals.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i bought a pair of m530’s for a try, having used conventional spds for ages… i’m pretty indifferent about them… i’ll keep trying them for a bit longer, but if i still draw a blank, i’ll swap back to conventional spds to save a bit of weight.

my next project however is to convert two pairs of a530 touring pedals by fitting proper pedal pins to the non-spd side.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SPD TRAIL PEDALS’ is closed to new replies.