Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • SPD to flats – is it worth it?
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve ridden spd for about 15 years but recently wanted to try flats after struggling to get my feet down in time on a few occasions. I bought some five ten impact 2 and some superstar nanos over xmas with the plan of using them over the next few months in preparation for the alps in the summer. I haven’t had the balls to fit them to my mega yet and test them out.

After reading a post where people struggled with flats, I’m wondering: Is it really worth the effort or should I just stick to SPDs? Will it make me a better rider?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I rode clipped in, first with cleats and then with SPDs when they finally launched for about 18 years before finally deciding to give flats a go. That was back in 2006 and I’ve never gone back.

Making the switch definitely made me a better rider because I learned how to properly control the bike, rather than rely on picking it up with my feet. I also gained a higher degree of confidence in turns, which allowed me to try hitting turns faster.

Flats are not inherently faster though; a quick glance of the World Cup DH field will tell you that and even suggest the contrary. But for most people in the real world, if you can’t ride flats then learning to do so, even if you then go back, will make you a more skilled rider.

br
    Free Member

Also add some shin pads for the first few rides, as pins n’ shins don’t mix

geetee1972
    Free Member

Shin pads for sure, but where them reversed. You can always tell someone who’s made the switch late in life as it’s their calves that bear the scars. I never hit my shins, it’s always your calves that you tear strips off.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Sounds like I’ll have to dig out my 661 race knee/shin pads then 🙂

svalgis
    Free Member

The only time I’ve hit my shins (or calves) was when I tried to clip in, slipped and catapulted the pedal half a revolution. I’ve ridden flats without shin pads ever since.

GEDA
    Free Member

Why are you planning to ride with flats? I am quite happy with both. Flats for when you want to be able to leave contact with the bike as safely as possible, like today at a bmx track, manuals and generally messing around. Clips for riding fast or long distance. Once you get any speed up there is no difference in clipped in or flats as it is just as hard to bail with both. Just remember to drop your heels riding both and learn to bunny hop and manual with flats and jobs a gudun. I do like the extra control and power from clips and being able to get your foot back quickly on the pedals after cornering with flats.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I just want to see how it feels really. See whether it gives me any more confidence on the more twisty, rocky, technical descents as I can put my foot down faster if I need to (that’s the theory anyway). If I don’t like it I might have some five tens and nano tech pedals going cheap 🙂

jock-muttley

Gotta agree about SPD’s making you technically “lazy”. I swap between SPDs and Flats as needed but over winter deliberately went to flats to improve my technique. Whole new learning curve again.

maxtorque

Coming from an XC race background, my entire MTB history had been on SPD’s till this year. But, wanting to push my low speed balance and tricky terrain skills a bit further i made the move to flats. An initially, wow, what a disaster! My riding went so far backwards it wasn’t funny. But now, 2 months into the ney year, i’m back on par, and moving forwards. i still ride SPD’s and i’m still faster everywhere in them, but i can now swap to flats without too much thought when required. I have some Jedi training booked in a couple of months to hopefully nail the jumping in flats stuff properly 😉

svalgis
    Free Member

I just want to see how it feels really

So do it, did you really need yet another SPD/flats thread for that? 😉

mulv1976
    Free Member

So do it, did you really need yet another SPD/flats thread for that?

No not really. I know the only way to find out is ride with them. I just needed a kick up the arse 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

So do it, did you really need yet another SPD/flats thread for that?

Ooh handbags!

svalgis
    Free Member

I just needed a kick up the arse 😉

That’s fair, as good a reason as any!

fortyonethirty
    Free Member

only one way to find out!seriosly though,all you need is a pair of vans and some v8,s.stick with it and you,ll never look back.never had spd’s,never will.no need.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I rode SPD’s for years before switching to flats because I got more into DH / jumpy stuff and have never looked back go be honest. SPD’s are faster / more efficient but I’m more interested in having fun.

I’ve gone back to SPD’s for the odd ride but am much more confident on technical stuff on flats. SPD’S are great but hey do make you lazy in regards to hopping etc.

Just give it go and see how you get on…but you’ll need to give it a bit of time. I hated flats at first, but got the hang of them fairly quickly with regards to hops etc.

Spin
    Free Member

Having reached what I consider to be a reasonable standard of bike ability riding SPDs I know I should give flats a go.

Unfortunately, I’m struggling to motivate myself to take a step back to take a step forward.

GEDA
    Free Member

Sorry but there is next to no learning curve. I forgot my SPD shoes on a trip to ladybower once and ended up riding in a pair of office shoes with not much difficulty on SPD pedals. The learning curve is the hopping and jumping. Trying to get your body in a good position is possible with any pedals. Maybe its like Dumbo’s magic feather. “I have flat pedals and have ditched my spds, now I am gnarr!”

Northwind

GEDA – Member

Sorry but there is next to no learning curve. I forgot my SPD shoes on a trip to ladybower once and ended up riding in a pair of office shoes with not much difficulty on SPD pedals.

Not everyone finds the same- it basically depends on how much you’re depending on the SPDs to hold you on the bike, some people are very dependent and find everything difficult. As you say, you can have good body and foot positioning on SPDs, but, you can get away with bad.

(I was like this- tbh I think flats did my riding a lot of good, it took away that “perch on the bike” thing, sometimes being a bit of a passenger and making the bike work very hard, and made me ride with it. And that transferred back to SPDs when I picked them up again.)

Anyway- to the OP, the difference between pedals is not so much that it overrules personal preference, and you can never know what you prefer til you try both. And try properly, get as comfortable on flats as you are on spds (or, try hard enough that you know you never will be). Don’t be the guy that does one ride then spits the dummy 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I race on spd as for me it seems to give better power on the limit uphill
    But for most of my social riding , trail centres etc i use flats

But that’s what suits me. You may not be the same , just try it and see

sambob
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the transition to flats so far, not trashed my shins yet either.

love
    Free Member

some questions to ask yourself…
    can you control/move the bike through your feet?
    can you bunnyhop?
    try to do the above with flats

longj
    Free Member

I just want to see how it feels really. See whether it gives me any more confidence on the more twisty, rocky, technical descents as I can put my foot down faster if I need to (that’s the theory anyway)

I’ve never used SPDs for this reason and due to my own incompetence, put my foot down more often than I probably should. Then got thinking maybe I should use SPDs in order to force me to keep my feet on the pedals. hmmm… or maybe I will just end up keeling over and it’s that thought that keeps me on flats.

longmover
    Free Member

I spent a long time learning to ride on flats and have the shins to prove it! I keep swapping between flat and SPDs on my XC bike depending on how I want to ride that day, disco slippers and party pedals if I want to just spin and feel lazy and flats if I want to ride more technically demanding trails. I am far more comfortable on flats than SPDs but that is probably down to learning to ride properly on flats before trying .

V8s have been mentioned a lot, personally I did not find them very grippy and they had a tendancy to roll under my front foot, Easton Flatboys are my pedal of choice.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

switched to flat after xmas(been using spds for years)got some DMR V8s and a cheapish pair of airwalk half cab skate shoes and so far so good pedals cheapish can be pumped full of grease and there seams to be loads of spares for them and as an engineer grub screws are free/cheap so replacment pins not a prob,shoes seam to holding up so far not sure i needed half cabs but got them for ankle protection and on that front have done there job a few times so all is good 🙂 (touch wood)

baldman
    Free Member

I think it will be for me eventually as many above have said. It’s made me realise the way I was using my spd’s the lift the bike. I’m a few rides in, but already starting to feel more confident on the flats. Will still use spd’s for a lot of my riding but enjoying learning to control the bike properly – give it a go.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Started out on flats, but moved to SPDs after about 6 months. I’m using the easy release variety. They’ll pop out if you try to lift the bike with them, but help massively on the uphills. Also will always release if you need to dab a foot.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Yes, next question…

richardmoss
    Free Member

I used to ride spd’s without a thought until some brambles caught the end of my bars and sent me OTB whilst travelling at some pace. I must have described a magnificent arc as I fell on the back of my neck, resulting in an unpleasant exploding sound/feeling in my back which signalled the partial surrender of T4.
    This was four years ago and I was back on the bike after a few weeks but… I always wondered whether I would have had the same result with flats. I’ve thought about it a lot and I think that the spds kept my feet on the bike ’til last and by that time I was completely head first. I’m not saying that you are less likely to break your back with flats, or be at all certain that I wouldn’t have had the same result if I’d been wearing flats, but I’ve used flats/5tens since and wouldn’t go back. Maybe multi directional exit spd’s would have been better, or maybe they were new cleats or a bit on the tight side so It’s obviously not an unchallengable analysis on multiple levels, but I feel very happy with the switch.
    Also, I’d agree that you have to learn to keep your feet on the pedals, where you just assume spds are going to keep you attached. I think it’s forced me into better technique, but fundamentally I’ll always be as talentless as I am enthusiastic.

FOG

Im a new returnee to flats after 20 years on spds after having several rubbish rides with ice choking pedals and cleats. I expected to just keep the flats for winter ,wearing trainer/boot type things but I have enjoyed them so much I have bought some dedicated shoes and ride with them all the time.
    It was worth it to see the expression on Mrs FOGs face when she saw the old bloke in rad to the power of sick young dude shoes!
    ps my other bike still has spds and gets used for big trail days out that involve road work between tracks.

fourbanger
    Free Member

SPDs for getting on (XC, Trail and DH). Flats for having fun.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘SPD to flats – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.