Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Spades- really good ones ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Broke my 4th spade yesterday, this was a betterer £20 Homebase one but the plastic handle cracked. Who makes /sells really good spades with a flat ‘stirrup’ top for digging with flat pedal shoes on ? Need to be able to become an occasionl whacker downer, which is what broke mine 🙄

scruff
    Free Member

Oh, want a flat edge aswell.

honourablegeorge

Spades. I always call them that.

ski
    Free Member

checkout the Bulldog range of UK forged spades, only one I have not bust so far & I like abusing spades too 😉

Northwind

Most places only seem to be carrying the short-handled Roughnecks just now, but if you can find one the long-handled version is very good.

binners

Are you sure its not a bladed digging implement you’re looking for?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Lidl are doing some great ss spades for £9 a pop

neilb67
    Free Member

Ive got a real nice spade Scruff. I left it by the start of Wonkey Donkey hidden under a bush. Your more than welcome to have it but Im damned if I can find it…

scruff
    Free Member

Neil, Clixby’s probaly nicked it when they ruined Wonkey Donkey 😉

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Something like this is remarkably good for a lot of trailbuilding work: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10767656&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372012%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372021%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372063%7d%2fspecificationsProductType%3ddigging___planting_tools&fh_eds=%c3%9f&isSearch=false

Toolstation used to stock a really good one with a fibreglass handle (D handle or 48″ straight). The longer, straight pole style handle was much better and we ended up buying quite a few for trail building days. Were really good for pumptrack work.

Grafters / cable laying spades / trenching spades are a personal favourite too as being very versatile and better at doing most things other than simply “pure digging” in easy going soil.

Solid steel shafts are good for durability but can be quite cold (wuss!) and tend to be heavier and more of a chore to use for long periods. A fibre glass handle /shaft is a good compromise IMO.

Depends a bit what you’re digging and where. In the right situation azadas / chillington hoes are brilliant e.g. bench cutting trail in organic / mineral soils that don’t have a lot of bigger stone in them. See http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm. No use for tamping though.

I could go on about spades for ages :embarassed:

scruff
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey, official DH trails and other cheek, I tried one of those long round points and didnt like it, generally shifting mulch and digging out compacted sandy stony soil* but usually have a mattock and mcleod to hand aswell. Have tried the Azadas, seems like an easy 1 way trip to cutting your lower limbs off.

* Actually bunter pebble beds, comprised of a coarse conglomerate of pebbles, averaging around 2-10cm in diameter, loosely cemented in a markedly reddish-coloured sand, which is also present in the intervening sandstone strata

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Each to their own and all that, “one man’s pleasure is another man’s poison” etc.

I’d just say about the long handled ones, just like any other tool where there are a bunch of variants, it depends which one you get. For some of the work we’ve done they are absolutely brilliant. Point in, one or two foot jump, pull back and cast (longer and more accurately than a “short” D handle type). A lot depends on the shovel blade, profile, angle to the shaft etc. Maybe try a different brand?

Sod it though, I should stop evangelising 😉

From the sounds of what you’re digging through I’d try a pointy type shovel as they often break ground better than normal square blades (D handle, T or Long-straight). Only thing is that type of blade is often curved across its width and so doesn’t work quite as well as a slapper / tamper / compacter with the backside.

Never had that propblem with an Azada, the length of the handle (on the ones we’ve got) usually means the blade comes down a fair way from your tootsies. Not only that but they’re good at cutting through roots etc I found them better in many situations than a grubbing mattock.

If you’re going to give me a proper soil description I’d much rather it was to BS5930 or Eurocode 7 ;-P

In the end though it’s whatever works for you, isn’t it. Come up to Stainburn and you can try all our various stuff 😉

st

Scruff’s beard has now grown long enough to give him access to more official tools than you can shake a Mcleod at ;o)

My current spade* of choice, good balance of cost, weight, durability and effectivity

*technically a shovel but if you’re not insistant on calling a spade a spade…

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Those type of heavy duty Round point shovels are actually better if you grind/wear the point off. Dug many a grave using one of them in the past.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Dug many a grave using one of them in the past.

Comment of the day 😉

timber

Could just fix it.
    Most of our work spades have replacement handles. Especially if you have a head you’re happy with. The older spades we’ve got are better as properly forge made, lot of the newer welded and rolled spades split near the shaft join.

Wooden handles feel so much better too and you can fit them to the size and handle you want. 15 min workshop job.

Milkie
    Free Member

Just started building in our local wood, using one of these:

Saw comes in handy too, not sure I would want to saw anything bigger than 3″ tho! Works quite well as an axe type thing too.

Does anyone put anything on their spades to stop the mud/clay from sticking!?

jedi

flat unridged back is necessary for shaping jumps. i use a wilkingsonsword stainless steel job

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

wilkingsonsword stainless steel job

Flash bugger 😉

I’ve never had any success with those folding spades but if it works for you then great.

As for lubing a spade – you’re having a giraffe ;-P

Ambrose
    rangerbill

I bought a few all metal spades with kick plates from Williamson in Oldham (fire surplus) Dont know if they still sell them, Ive had it for 6 years. the only failure Ive had with one of them when the blade lost its strength after using it to support a rock I’d prised up with my 5ft crowbar.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Spades- really good ones ?’ is closed to new replies.