Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Space savers
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I currently don’t have a spare tyre as the car came with a bottle of goo which is now out of date…apart from e-bay or the local scrappy, where is the best place to get a spare probably space saver?

whytesky
    Free Member

In all honesty, ebay or the local scrappy! I genuinely can’t think of anywhere else.

Unless you’re prepared to pay several times more to buy from a main dealer.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I always get my glasses from them.

martymac

Juluuk, nah mate, your thinking of spEcsavers

batfink
    Free Member

if you’ve got a bottle of goo (mini or beemer?) then you have probably got run-flats.

Watch the topgear vid on runflats….. you really don’t need to carry a spare.

km79
    Free Member

if you’ve got a bottle of goo (mini or beemer?) then you have probably got run-flats.

Lots of cars don’t have run-flats and come with a bottle of goo instead of a spare. Something to do with trying to reduce as much weight as they can.

sbob
    Free Member

You can’t use the space you’ve saved if you need to use your space saver.
    Utterly ridiculous and totally illogical idea.
    Whoever came up with the idea is right up there on my list of people I’d punch in the mouth, along with Graeme Norton and those who keep butter in the fridge.

milky1980
    Free Member

My Fabia came as standard with just sealant and a pump but had the well for a spare, thankfully there was the option to have a full-size spare (but still marked up as 80kmh only…) for £50. It did bump the VED band up slightly but I’ve had two punctures now that the sealant wouldn’t touch so the extra fuel used and VED it’s cost me has been worth it. Wouldn’t buy a car now if I couldn’t at least put a cheap spare in the boot, stupid idea to rely on just sealant!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My sealant system has had two opportunities to work and failed spectacularly both times. Run flats or another wheel are the only two completely reliable options. Granted they’re the only 2 punctures I’ve had in about 20 years, but a real PITA when they do happen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i wouldnt discount the main dealer

Ive found certainly in peugeots case their spare steel wheels were very reasonably priced compared to the local scrappy – who wanted 50 quid for the most awful wheel you ever saw with a tire that stevie wonder him self would fail at mot…..

Peugeot were 69 quid for a new steelie – but i needed 2 and 2 tires…. Still didnt buy one from them mind – i bought a set of 5 with a winter tire package off someplace online to use as my winters and give each car a fullsize spare.

mrchrispy

what motor is it for?
    some cars are not rated (I think thats the term) for a space saver.
    The ones from an Audi TT will fit my Yeit, I’ve been meaning to pick on up for a while now, it’d only ever be used to get me somewhere to fix the wheel but there is a good change the insurance would tell me to do one if I had a bump with it on.

yetidave
    Free Member

the Car is a Seat Altea. prob something from VAG would fit. Not run flats, not that sporty!!

Why would the VED be changed?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Whoever came up with the idea is right up there on my list of people I’d punch in the mouth, along with Graeme Norton and those who keep butter in the fridge.

Blame the public.
    Want a car that is bigger? Erm, yes
    Want it to be safer? Yes
    Want it with more gadgets? Yes
    Want it to do more mpg? Yes
    And so forth.

The laws of physics often take over and to do all those things they have to make cars lighter. Thats why they have a bottle of goo, electronic handbrakes etc.

Cougar

Something to do with trying to reduce as much weight as they can.

To save money, more like. I expect the cost difference between a big fat alloy wheel and a crap steelie is fairly considerable.

SaxonRider

I always get my glasses from them.

Obviously not recently.

benp1

jujuuk68 – nice 😀

eBay is a resource for that, scrappy too

brassneck

Saves weight which allows further gaming of emission stats and ‘green’ production credentials.

Don’t buy one if there is nowhere proper to put it (my SMax for example, no wheel well or external fixing) – you don’t want that flying forward in an accident.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Obviously not recently.

It’s gone so far over your head it hasn’t parted your hair…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Space savers’ is closed to new replies.