Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • choice between used mondeo / smax / galaxy, any opinons?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

looking at 2014/2015 smax / galaxy / mondeo estate are any of these ones best avoided of best to go for?

cheers

johndoh
    Free Member

Following with interest….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Biggest one you can afford.

No one ever got into a car like that, looked around and sighed disappointedly to themselves…. ” I wish there were less space in here!”

johndoh
    Free Member

Biggest one you can afford.

I don’t agree with that – I now need to drive a bigger car because of children/dog (currently have an A6) but I much prefer the size of our second car (a Mazda 3).

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t agree with that

Don’t buy a people carrier then. If you do buy one though, I’d recommend a biggun.

I would much prefer a Jaguar XJ to my S-max but it won’t take 6 of us.

Sometimes, reality pisses all over your personal preferences.

Them’s the breaks!

My original point stands though. I know lots of people who have bought various MPV’s – Zafiras, Tourans, c-max etc and regret the decision not to “go large”.

I hvee previously had Mondeos and a Galaxy and currently have an S-max and wish I’d gone for another Galaxy.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t buy a people carrier then. If you do buy one though, I’d recommend a biggun.

But some people (like me) need a bigger car but don’t like driving the biggest one….

I have an S-max and wish I’d gone for another Galaxy.

Whereas I think I would prefer an S-Max as it is smaller yet still has 7 seats.

(In fact I would prefer a Mondeo estate but my wife wants a higher car).

peterno51

Footprint wise aren’t they all within a gnats wotsit of each other and its just the height that varies?

We have an ’09 S-Max and it’s a very nice place to be, well it would be if the kids hadn’t turned it into a compost heap.

Nothing major has gone wrong, but as always YMMV.

Some mates have a Galaxy and I prefer the central console thing in theirs. It’s the bit that’s under your elbow (or not) the S-Max console gets right in the way changing gear and is a PITA.

From a bikey point of view I get just about get all our bikes on roof carriers (I’m 6’1″) if I stand on the sills.

If I was to do it again I would be casting intriguing glances at the Tourneo Custom as it seems a better use of space and function for family/kid related clobber.

Good luck.

P.

jeffl

S-Max and I think Galaxy had a new model released in 2015 so may be a price jump between old and new models.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Footprint wise aren’t they all within a gnats wotsit of each other and its just the height that varies

Correct – although the height matters more than you would imagine.

The taller they are, the less space tends to be taken up by the engine bay so more internal space is freed up within the same footprint.

sbob
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

Correct – although the height matters more than you would imagine.

The taller they are, the less space tends to be taken up by the engine bay so more internal space is freed up within the same footprint.

The taller they are, the less efficient they will be.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

After having SMax’s and Galaxy’s and even (god forbid) a Grand Voyager, the current Grand Scenic is just the job.

Bigger is better when you are full up to the rafters with kid crap, but the rest of the year they are a bit ponderous to just nip out in.

The Citroen Grand Picasso is another. The size of a small estate, but taller.

If you are carrying 6 big blokes, the Galaxy is great, the rest of the time it’s a bit much.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We use SMAX in work. Terrible vehicles. Loads of problems with DPF and electrical faults.
    Edit- they range from 2012 models to brand new 2016 models. Two of the 2016 models have had immobiliser issues and have gone into limp mode for no reason.

mj27
    Free Member

S max here in petrol 2.0 auto. to avoid DPF issues with short journeys.

We looked a loads of cars to take 3 in the back and not many fit the criteria. It came down to the Smax and Galaxy, galaxy is an all day 7 seater while the s max is 5 + 2. There is more storage in the Galaxy but we could not think what it would be useful for.

S max is easy to drive, especially in auto and the dimension difference between the smax and Galaxy is +/- 50mm and both cars are big.

matt_outandabout

Galaxy owner here, 56 with 130k on clock of 2.0tdci, way more reliable and cheaper than our old Touran.

Galaxy – huge. Just massive. Useful if like us you have family of 5, bikes, canoes and a job that requires a near van full of kit. Less efficient. Wobbles more. Pain to park due to extra 30cm.

Smax – big, still three separate seats, useful for big family. More efficient, better handling, noticeably less space.

Mondeo – most efficient, best handling, quietest, warmest/coldest as they are less greenhouse like, cheaper. Smaller. Much smaller. Especially with bench back seat and transmission tunnel.

Lots of kit = get the 2.0 engine. The 1.8 in smax and Galaxy wheezes along, and does less mpg.

johndoh
    Free Member

Will the S-Max take three full size child seats across the single row of main passenger seats?

matt_outandabout

I forgot – avoid cheap models if you want more comfort, cruise and a stereo that isn’t tinny.

ads678

Smax has 3 full seat in the back, so take 3 child seats. Rear most seats are child only, unless it’s just short trips.

Our Smax takes an age to heat up in the mornings. The fan is pathetic. No other problems with it though apart from fitting roof bars. I think any car that size should have rails. I’m only 5’9″ and getting stuff out of the roof box can be a pain in the arse.

Good car though, esp on long journeys.

What PP says is true for us, we thought the Smax would be fine size wise, but we sort of wish we’d gone for the Galaxy. I’m now looking at vans though, we don’t really need 7 seats anymore but still need SPACE. I’ll probably replace the Smax with a smaller run around if I sort a van.

franksinatra

Will the S-Max take three full size child seats across the single row of main passenger seats?

Yes, with ease, and this was the reason we went back to an s-max.

We are on our second and both have been faultless. Nice car to drive, bit of a tardis and as much as I want a different car, the s-max ticks every box of what I need

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmmm, might put the SMax back on the shopping list for next year then – if I can convince my wife that it is a suitable alternative to a soft-roader (she wants a Quasqai+2

stick_man

The Galaxy is about 3 inches taller and 4 inches longer than the S Max. In reality quite a bit more room. This gives you a car that can take camping kit for a 2 week family holiday in the boot, with bikes on the back or roof. The tallness is also handy if you need to stand bikes up inside with the front wheels removed.

It’s quite a bit bigger than a C Max or a Scenic, but it’s not bad at all to drive.

If you want even more space the VW Caddy Maxi might be an option.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The only difference between the smax and galaxy is the galaxy has more headroom at the very back and as a result the 6th and 7th seats are a bit higher making them more comfortable for ferrying adults about. You can fit adults in the back of an smax but the seats are a bit lower so not quite as comfy. In theory the galaxy has more volume but it’s not usable volume as it’s all in the roof at the very back as the smax roof line slopes down a bit.

They both share the same floorpan as the mondy estate, so same wheel base and width and basic footprint.

My Smax has been the biz. It’s the 170bhp 2.2 tdci so doesn’t hang about. It’s he first gen one so no dpf issues as no dpf. Can’t fault it really. Pretty perfect family car.

They’re no less reliable than any other car. I’ve had very few issues with mine and none that have left me stranded. If you think you’re going to be ferrying adults in the rearmost seats I’d go for a galaxy. If not the smax will be best.

Cougar

my wife wants a higher car

You’ll need to be leasing rather than buying, then.

djflexure

Has a 2.0 td smax (2008) – nice car to drive but the sloping rear roof wasn’t great for us – 3 kids/ dogs/ camping/ biking.

Went on to a 2.2 td Galaxy. Definitely does not handle as well (no real surprise), but drives very nicely on mways, the 2.2 has loads of torque. Done several return journeys fully laden to S France pulling a trailer.

The Galaxy suits us more, due to the much increased payload. Footprints look similar between the two vehicles but in reality the Galaxy can carry quite a bit more while still giving the kids decent legroom.

Wife has it day to day and loves it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The galaxy would be better if you are putting bikes in the back upright. My SMax is fine but I have to lower the saddles down on the dropper post to clear the roof. However I have to remove the seat post if carrying road bikes or bikes without droppers. The Galaxy might have enough headroom in that rearmost corner unless you’ve got really long legs.

CountZero

I can only comment from a driving point of view, but I’ve driven B-Max, C-Max, S-Max and Galaxy, all fairly recent models, the Galaxy I drove last month was a 16 plate, (April), Titanium X spec 2.0 TDi, with 2034 miles on it, and I was surprised how well it drove around the twisty roads from Chew Magna, but all of these vehicles drive well, just like the cars they’re based on.
    The auto-dipping headlights on the Galaxy were an extra I found very handy while acquainting myself with a strange car in the dark, too.
    I don’t have kids, or any real requirement for cars like these, but having slidey rear doors makes life so much easier accessing the interior, and of all the varieties of MPV I’ve driven, like the Zafira, Carens, Picasso, etc, the Fords are best equipped, best handling, and most comfy.
    The heated screen alone makes a significant case for them.
    Personally, my favourite is the B-Max, so much fun to drive!

oldnpastit

I have a Galaxy. It’s great for transporting bikes around and large numbers of people.

I have an MX5 for when lots of space is not required.

takisawa2

Older Galaxy here, one where you can load bikes fully built upright.
    Has spoilt me now, when I get in normal cars, they seem too be a compromise.
    Next care will be a van.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Funny you should say that Takisawa, the practically of my smax is leaning me towards a van for a replacement rather than a smaller vehicle. A combination of the fact I can’t afford the cars I really want and that the practically of a big vehicle like an Smax means a van might be the answer. The wife has a nice sporty car if I want a car for a short journey, but for hauling kids, bikes, camping gear etc around a van has to be the best option.

takisawa2

i fancy something as a bit of a project.
    I like the idea of taking something that’s served a purpose as a work vehicle, & giving it a new lease of life as a family vehicle. Could probably go out & lash £30k on a new one but there would be little fun in it, other than looking mint from the off. No, I’ve my eye on an 05 reg that I can make my own. The T5 is a boring old choice, with a hefty scene tax, but the chaps who run the garage I use both run them & swear by them. Not at all interested in building a Camper (one of the other reasons I have a big vehicle like the Galaxy is that we have a caravan). After getting a right drenching at Bije Park Wales when I shared a lift with a mate in a car, I watched the chaos with vans casually sitting under those huge tailgates in the dry, loading full bikes in rather than faffing with bike racks etc. Even the Wife has relented these days, & isntbso averse to the idea.

takisawa2

[stupid iPhone spell check]

Harry_the_Spider

My SMax is perfect for us at the moment, but when my kids are full size I’ll probably go for a Galaxy if we still need a six seater.

1.8 diesel is a little underpowered. The 2.0 was my preferred option.

Reliability wise it has been fine.

growinglad
    Free Member

Had an S-Max for 6 years.

Comfy, does the job, plenty of room.

Actually holds the road pretty well without little roll.

I think at that age it should have 6 gears, ours is a bit old now and only has the 5 speed box which is a tad noisy on the autobahns. Had it on the German autobahns last week and even with a 2.0 petrol engine with 170000KM it’s still going okay.

I’ll probably run this one into the ground and then get another for family duties.

johndoh
    Free Member

my wife wants a higher car

You’ll need to be leasing rather than buying, then.

Boom! Boom! Tish!

matt_outandabout

The only difference between the smax and galaxy is the galaxy has more headroom at the very back and as a result the 6th and 7th seats are a bit higher making them more comfortable for ferrying adults about.
    They both share the same floorpan as the mondy estate, so same wheel base and width and basic footprint.

The Galaxy is 40cm longer – all in the boot!
    It is an additional 350lt of space, below the covered area alone. That is like an additional Fiesta boot added. Use the space above the cover on holiday (as we do) and the additional space for kit lugging is spectacular. The Galaxy also has a bigger ‘hidden’ bin, that I get a 60lt rucksack in, below the floor.

When going to south France on holidays I unbolt the very rear most row (8 bolts) and leave them at home.

The galaxy really is a bus compared to the Smax.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has an SMax, and I’m always underwhelmed by the space inside, and that’s coming from an Octavia estate. They still need a trailer when they go camping.

If you really carry a load of kit semi regularly, get the biggest you can afford.

If I was going that big, with kids, I’d also get something else with sliding rear doors for easier access and less denting opportunities. Maybe the Alhambra.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Galaxy is 40cm longer – all in the boot!

Only on the inside. 😀

Externally the Galaxy is 4820mm long and the S-Max is 4768mm, a difference of only 52mm.

mtbfix

We’ve got an SMax and it copes happily with all our clobber plus dog. For a given age, model and mileage the Galaxy is cheaper used than the SMax. It also has (iirc) 3 Isofix seats on the middle row. SMax only has Isofix on the outer two.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yep, Galaxy is a mere 52mm longer than an SMax and all that is in the bumper, interior space is the same. The additional volume comes with the higher roofline.

If you’re underwhelmed by the boot space of an SMax or Galaxy then your only next option is a van. Somebody needing a trailer for camping isn’t much of a an indication of anything whatsoever. It all depends on what else other than the camping stuff they’ve got too. My SMax swallows up a big 5 man family tent, awning, 4 camp beds, 4 foldaway seats, several items of fold up tent furniture, all the cooking paraphernalia, torches, toys, everything you need for a full on family camping trip. It all fits internally with the kids sat in the seats properly. It’s rammed full with every cubic mm utilised, but no need for a trailer, roof box or anything. There will always be people who want to take more stuff with them, or have more kids, or dogs, or in-laws etc. and need more space.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘choice between used mondeo / smax / galaxy, any opinons?’ is closed to new replies.