Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • South West Randonee / Exmoor Marathon
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Is there anyone on here that was booked onto last year's cancelled South West Randonee (now apparently renamed the Exmoor marathon)?

I understood that due to the cancellation we would be booked onto this year's event, but I have heard nothing in the run up to it and have just realised with a shock that it is in 2 weeks!

I also have no idea which route I would be booked on now as its all changed.

Anyone else in a similar predicament?

Dibbs
    Free Member

See this thread:-
    Exmoor-Bike-Marathon

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm in the same boat. Heard nothing yet.

I got very frustrated last year – yes it was very wet – so what? I'd trained in wet weather all summer so I went and rode the 60 mile course solo anyway. 8 hours and 5 mins but I was really wrecked – soaked and brown all over.

So I'm looking forward to the new format with more off-road content. I've done no focussed time/distance training this summer so I'm planning to do the 50km route – that's quite enough.

On the 5th of May I emailed an equiry about re-entry and got this:

Hi Stewart
    I have checked for you and your entry has been transferred to this years Exmoor bike marathon. All information can be found online at http://www.bhf.org.uk/exmoor You will receive your participant pack from 8 weeks before the event.
    We look forward to seeing you there on the 5th September.
    Kindest regards
    Charlotte

Have not

On the 7th July I got a email which said:

During the next 2 weeks you will receive your participant pack via email so keep a look out for the final set of information.

Still have not.

I'm going to email them again. If I get nothing I'm just turning up with a copy of that email!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I got this reply:

HI Stewart

Thanks for your email. We are sorry for the delay, you should have received the riders pack last week via email. I have now attached the details to this email.

We look forward to seeing you there in September.

Kindest regards

Charlotte

IMPORTANT BIT
    RIDER PACK LINKY TO GOOGLE DOCUMENTS
    ALL THE MAPS LINKY TO PICASAWEB

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have the GPS (GPX) files for all the routes now as well

My email is my profile if you need them.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks. I also emailed last night and got all the stuff through today. Now need to sort everything out.

Gearing – I don't fancy the ss and my other bike is set up as a 1×9 at the moment. Is it worth swapping everything over beforehand (and then back again after) to have a granny ring, or will it be ok with just a 32t up front?

I have never ridden down there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh God you need granny gears mate as there are some steep, closely packed hills. Don't even think about 50km+ on a singlespeed over there.

I'm delighted with the routes though – just using short sections of road for linking and some climbs – loads of cool singletrack descents. I know it's gonna nearly kill me, but I'm getting very excited 😀

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ok. I'd better dig out that front mech.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

BTW which route you going for?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Prob the 50km. I'm really not tough enough for 75km/100km with that much hilly off-road.

Do you notice the estimated times on the maps? 7hrs for 50km. On the HONC, a moderately fit rider can do 50km in sub-four hours. I think that shows the difference between these rides and the HONC.

I've loved the Exmoor riding I've done this year. Heheheheheh!

singletracksurfer

oh god get the granny ring on, its hilly 😯

Those times will be the cut off / slowest time allowed.

I did pretty much that 75km route in about 7hrs or so.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

What's the HONC?

I've decided to take your advice and get the granny ring on and I'm doing the 75km.

Should be fun. 😐

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Just checked and got my email as well. In the same boat about route length, though I'll probably opt for the 75km one 😯

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

thats_not_my_name – do you ride a black P7?

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Yep, used to! I was the one who come along for a ride about a year back with you and Mike. I was out on a ride with Mike at the weekend and did some of the trails on Pitch/Holmbury. May be catch-up on the BHF ride?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thought it might be you when I clicked on your name.

I'll get Mike to swap numbers and we'll see if we're in the same area at the same time.

Although I'm seriously starting to think of signing up for the 100k now…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘South West Randonee / Exmoor Marathon’ is closed to new replies.