Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • South Downs Way Double Tyre choice
  • dunsby21
    Free Member

So ive decided that im going to attempt to ride the South Downs Way Double (200 miles, all off road, loads of climbing) this summer with a few mates for charity in 24 hours.

What would people tyre recommendations be for long distance xc riding.

Also are there any locals to the South Downs who would have a better idea about tyre choice than me, as i’ve only previously ridden there once.

I will obviously need something quick rolling and puncture proof.

Cheers

Lummox

Well we attempted the same last year and are re attempting this year.

Last year in the drier months on good trials we trained with Michelin dry xc’s and they were fantastic, but then the rain came and to be honest the only tyre that was anything less than lethal was panaracer trail rakers. However they are very skittery on the harder packed chalk with the green slime top coat.

Basically no tyre is a fit and forget, in drier conditions and firm I’d go with a dry conditions small blocked tyre with a tough casing(flint) in wet I’d look for something that clears easy but with shorter spikes as unless its proper damp they’ll deflect and you’ll be off and on your arse in a split second.

In fact if its been raining or starts raining heavy bin it, It was the most miserable 60 miles I’ve ever ridden, and the chaps that did complete took 21hours to go one way (including 2 broken ribs, 4 sets of pads destroyed and one person refusing to eat and drink anymore)

gee
    Free Member

Something wide and durable – 2.25 Ralph Snakeskin would be my suggestion.

rewski
    Free Member

Make your choice a few days before, if it’s bone dry I use small block 8s, if its been wet then spesh storm controls or mud x. You’ll be riding a mixture of muddy or dusty bridle paths, grass, flint, chalk and the odd stretch of tarmac. If you’re being supported then take spare tyres.

ajc
    Free Member

I would have thought that most people capable of riding the double sub 24hr wouldn’t need to post a what tyre thread. Otherwise see above.

superfli
    Free Member

Yup, with rewski on this. Mudx/storm if wet – but dont even bother, as lummox says, it wont be fun, cancel it. In the dry, you wont be needing too much tread, but you will need pretty tough sidewalls as flints can rip em. Saying that, I did the SDW last year on NN evo and was fine, although I did have a support vehicle with spares if needed.

rewski
    Free Member

Wind is another factor, I’m too embarrassed to say how long it took me from devils dyke to Eastbourne in a 20+ mph headwind, it was brutal, I was pedalling on the downhills.

Moda
    Free Member

I ride the SDW all year around from Amberley to Eastbourne. As gee says Racing Ralph snakeskin hold up pretty well on the flinty terrain…

dunsby21
    Free Member

was origonally gonna go for specialized fast traks but i think ill wait it out now and see what the weather forecast is gonna be like the week before.

Painey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Ralphs and can’t stress enough how different it can be due to the weather. If it’s been dry for a while the chalk will bake rock hard and be like tarmac in places whereas if it’s been wet it can be as slippery as ice.

Conti race kings are good too.

DrP

I would have thought that most people capable of riding the double sub 24hr wouldn’t need to post a what tyre thread. Otherwise see above.

Similar thoughts….

I used NNs cos that what was on my bike. The floor was dry, they went round, and stopped me at the bottom of hills…

DrP

br
    Free Member

I did it a couple of years ago, dry and hard conditions worked great with Ralph UST’s.

njee20
    Free Member

2.25 Ralph Snakeskin would be my suggestion.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Double Tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.