• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rock.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • South Downs Way conditions
  • rock
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m planning on doing the south downs way in a day this weekend. Can anyone give me an idea of how wet it is at the moment? If there’s any sign of wet chalk, I reckon I’ll postpone.

Cheers all

bigsi
    Free Member

We did Worthing to Falmer (A27 crossing) yesterday in the pi**ing rain and howling wind.

It’s not too bad at the moment, didn’t really see any of it that was dodgy as its not been wet for a long enough period of time for the chalk to become green but then if we get too much rain this week that could all change.

In short its perfectly ridable just don’t grab too much brake on the decents 😉

Oh and good luck 😀

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I’m doing the doule this weekend, the forecast is looking OK(ish) for the weekend. There may be showers but it should be OK unless we get something really heavy.

rock
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Maybe see you on the trails Rob, (starting sat 7am from winchester)

thomthumb
    Free Member

lets see where we meet, starting eastbourne circa 9am 😀

DaRC_L

Yeah the trails are pretty dry – with this wind they’ll dry out pretty quickly after any rain

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Starting out from winchester 8am

rock
    Free Member

Wow, sounds like it’ll be a right old party on the trails. We’ll be on blue anthem x and a black scott scale. Good luck all!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ll be on a black scandal, mate on a red inbred and one undecided! say hello if you see us.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Make that two black scandals 😀

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I’ll be on my rocklobster

ash500
    Free Member

bone dry – perfect

wwaswas

There was yer actual dust on parts of the sdw last week 🙂

As has been said – the wind’ll dry the tops out pretty quick after the recent rain too.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Here’s the Met Office forecast for the weekend in that area.

The unsettled weather looks like continuing across the UK with most of the showers across Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland. In these areas the showers could be heavy and may merge at times into longer spells of rain. It will be quite windy with a risk of gales. For Wales and the rest of England there will also be some heavy showers but some spells of dry weather too. Temperatures will range from near or a little below normal in the north to near or a little above normal in the south and it could become warm at times in the south. From next Wednesday onwards the northwest remains unsettled with wind and rain at times whereas the southeast will be drier and become a lot warmer.

WipeOut
    Free Member

I forgot to ask, is this a well surfaced trail, that is can I leave the full suspension at home?

A group of us are doing the whole trail over the weekend.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t describe it as ‘well surfaced’ it is after all a bridleway.

However, it isn’t technical or rough. I would take a hardtail, just to save the weight. it is after all over 4000 M of climbing.

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s draining and drying out well at the moment, you should be fine. Wind direction might be your biggest enemy 😕

WipeOut
    Free Member

Hmm, my hardtail (30lbs) is heavier than my full suspension (23lbs). Heck I hate tough decisions 😉 I don’t want to trash the full sus bike, as the hard tail is full “winterised” with mud tyres and an alfine hub etc.

Any good pub recommendations, for a naughty pint or two on the way? Don’t want to go too far off the trail.

woodsman
    Free Member

I’d probably take the hardtail, I did it in 07 on a Rohloff’d steel framed bike, must be 30lb.

You can get a beer at Devils Dyke, 65 miles in or thereabouts, Alfriston – you’ll be riding through the village, quite a few pubs and a delli/snack shop if it’s open/you get there in good time. There must be more, that’s all that springs to mind right now though. Good luck!

wwaswas

the full suspension.

It’s really not at all muddy and although it’s not ‘rough’ those miles of flinty path take their toll.

speaking of flints a proper tyre patch is well worth taking with you.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you wont trash the full sus – it’s not that kinda mud. 23lbs sounds light what is it – i’d take that.

Paceman
    Free Member

Take the full-susser if it weighs 23lbs. The SDW trails can be rock hard this time of year and the flinty surface will take its toll on your back over 100 miles.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

rock
    Free Member

Agreed. I did it in 2 days last year on a hardtail, and am really looking forward to using the susser this year.

Who’s using crudcatchers?

bigsi
    Free Member

If your looking for a cake stop just before half way then the River Cafe @ Houghton Bridge is a nice spot, just off of the SDW where it drops down into the Arun Valley so no unnessesary climbing back onto the SDW after the pit stop, just Amberley Mount to tackle but thats on the route anyway 👿

Edit: Don’t bother with the cafe at Whiteways car park on top of Bury Hill unless you want grease in a bun and crap tea/coffee at stupid prices. 🙁

mudslinger
    Free Member

I’d definitely take the FS over the HT especially if it’s 7lbs lighter. If you are doing the full 105 miles you’ll appreciate the extra comfort & the difference in weight. Only do it on the HT if you are super fit & want the extra challenge.

If you don’t know the SDW it is easy to take the wrong track as there are so many bridleways crossing the SDW.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That climb out of Amberley (either direction) is a pig!
    Good point about tyre boot / patch. Slashed a Rampage there last time i rode it.

garlic
    Free Member

Definitely take a full-sus if you’ve got one, any XCish sub 30lbs will do it. I finished the 1 day SDW randonee a couple of years back and the guys on hardtails were effing & blinding their way down the last 3 hills.

rock
    Free Member

So how did everyone get on? thomthumb, think we saw you on the bridge outside pycombe.

It was how mountain biking should always be: blazing sunshine, 20 degrees, no mechanicals, and just a thin layer of dust on the bike at the end of the ride. Awesome

We managed it in exactly 12 hours, which we were pretty chuffed with. Not sure I could handle the double though….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way conditions’ is closed to new replies.