Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sourround sound system help, connecting all my bits up?? (Numpty Alert)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Afternoon all…

Were getting an extension built which will become the new 'living room'..

I want to get all the bits in there and do a proper job, flat screen on the wall, sky + box, PS3 all set up properly, run cables under the flooring.

I want to get a surround sound system, set of speakers.

Haven't got a tidy stereo to run it all through, so i guess the only option is a dedicated speaker system.

trouble is most of them seem to come with a DVD player which I dont need as I use the PS3 .

Can anybody suggest a good system, and the best way to connect it up.

Our Toshiba LCD TV has a fancy 'optical' input? I know the biggest mistake is people buying it

I'll have a max budget of about £200, i know its not alot and will struggle for optimum sound.

i saw this on richer sounds?

SPEAKERS

cheers

monkey_boy
    Free Member

I know the biggest mistake is people buying it

didn't finish…

people buying it and not connecting it up with proper cables etc

ScottChegg
    Free Member

With that package you will (still) need an AV amp.

Get to Richer Sound and have a browse, tell them the budget and what can they do for you. Or hit eBay, I got my last Yamaha DSP amp off there for £100, and a set of Mission speakers for £50. Speaker sets tend to be collect only due to size so if you are in the area you may get a bargain.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Oh, and the optical link is likely to need a standard optical digital connect. Ebay again, £5ish

votchy
    Free Member

Do NOT use optical link from tv to AV amp, this will only give a stereo sound source, optical link from sky+ and from ps3 (if it has one, not familiar with ps3) in to av amp, this will give 5.1 sound inputs to the amp that it can then process properly. Position of tv and speakers is most important part of getting the best out of the system, what hifi has a good rule of thumb guide to positioning, best to have tv in centre of one wall, not in a corner. Finally, position of the sub can help with the clarity of the bass, again the what hifi guide is quite useful. Even though your budget is quite modest (compared to what some people pay) you will notice a huge improvement in sound quality and overall viewing/gaming pleasure. Would be worth looking at the all in one systems and some bargains available on ebay, just cos they have a dvd doesn't mean you have to use it.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers ..

dull question, i would use a HDMI cable from tv to AV amp then?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sourround sound system help, connecting all my bits up?? (Numpty Alert)’ is closed to new replies.