Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sorry – best multitool?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Seem to have lost 2 Park ones somehow – what's the best out there for not silly money?

z1ppy

Best? No idea, but my Crank Bro 17 has been great for the last 6 years.

poppa
    Free Member

I am looking at the Lezyne Rap 13. Opinions welcome on that one.

U31
    Free Member

Crank brothers 17 – another vote here, survived 4 years of real abuse so far

SigmaF
    Free Member

Rap 13 good value….

Top Peak Mini 20 also really well finished….

Have a look at the Birzman stuff too!!

Tiger6791

I am looking at the Lezyne Rap 13. Opinions welcome on that one.

Got one, nice tool, my main choice at the moment but…….

No allen key for the securing pin on Elixir brakes.
    The + screw driver tool doesn't fit the SRAM mech adjusters
    No – screwdriver tool

It's nice, really solid to use, the chain tool is the best I've used, but it has a few niggles for me.

EDIT:
    to add to the above, for longer rides I also have a Leatherman and I have retro added a 2.5mm allen key (from a free MBUK multitool), this means makes for a pretty comprehensive tool kit but for short rides the RAP 13 is good. The above seemed over critical

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – CB 17 winning at the mo then.

That Lezyne one looks decent too though and is about half the price – anyone used it?

edit: oh…. ta 🙂

nickc

I have a Toepeak one looks like a penknife, can't remember it's name.

S'ok, haven't used it in all the years I've had it in my pack

U31
    Free Member

i use the chain tool on the CB more then i use my proper chain breaker, its the best one i've used so far

stumpy01

I've just had one of these delivered today:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11318

Topeak Mini 18+ tool and it looks good so far.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a topeak alien and I never carry any more tools as it has everything I need. Full set of allen keys in all the sizes on my bike, chainbreaker and tyre levers,ring spanners and screwdrivers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Alien II – for light weight trail
    Alien III – for day rides 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Topeak alien although i often carry my ratchet rocket instead as my alien is an old one and weighs quite a bit. My alien is about 9 years old now though and still as good as the day i bought it.

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 CB m17. Can't say much more than that it works, and well.

grumm
    Free Member

My finger is hovering over the order button on a CB 17… 🙂

ChrisL

I think that nickc is referring to the Topeak Hexus. I have one too, and I like it. It would be nice if the main body was metal and not plastic but that doesn't cause any real trouble. The built-in tyre levers are fairly nice and the little bit of wire for holding the chain together while you split or join it is a nice touch.

I have a Crank Bros one lying around somewhere (in my commuting bag I think) but I never got along with it particularly. Not sure which particular number it has, though!

Cougar

Heart my Alien II. Bought on a whim thinking "I don't really need this" and it's got me / others home far more times than I care to remember.

Northwind

Topeak Hexus by a country mile. Lezyne's are better made but the Hexus just works so well. If Lezyne made a Hexus with that design and their build quality, there'd be no point in anyone else making a multitool 😉 The chaintool's better than most workshop ones, the other tools are well judged and well made, it's comfortable in the hand… The tyre levers are an afterthought though but that's no big deal.

Alien is cool but overkill for most of us, unless you think you might have to stop halfway through a ride and build a climbing frame.

fivespot
    Free Member

Crank Bros 19 here. On the odd occasion I have needed a tool, it has always come to the rescue 😉

Cougar

Alien is cool but overkill for most of us, unless you think you might have to stop halfway through a ride and build a climbing frame.

Are you mad? I'm still looking for a Swiss Army Knife with a chainsaw.

(-:

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Topeak Alien gets my vote. Mind you with my lack of mechanical competence I just have a basic CB one with a couple of allen keys and a screwdriver which gets me along nicely most of the timel

grumm
    Free Member

Well I just bought the CB19 – thanks all.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I used to carry a topeak hexus as well as a Leatherman wave. I have ditched the hexus in favour of three good quality allen keys – a 4mm, 5mm and 6mm.

I always found the multitool tools very short and difficult to use. Especially as mechanicals always seem to occur when your exposed to the elements or the midge and you cant afford to faff about.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sorry – best multitool?’ is closed to new replies.