• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sorry another computer question. What free AV?
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I have always used AVG but version 9 appears to have slowed my nasty knackered pc to the point it hardly works at all.. so its re-install XP (yes I need windows for the database) but what AV do I use now?

Cheers

jon1973
    Free Member

I've always used avg with no problem. – why do you think it's avg causing the issue?

juan
    Free Member

switch to avira them. I find it fairly good too

docrobster
    Free Member

I have also used AVG with no issues for years as well. better than paid for macafee or norton.
    Does it run loads quicker without AVG?

geoffj

Avast here (when I have to use a Windoze box).

simon_g

Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, light on resources, excellent.

nuke

Microsoft Security Essentials.

+1

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for Avast

GlenMore
    Free Member

MSE

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The pc is 5 years old & I think new progs & all the ancilliary bits they run had just got too much for it. The latest update I applied was AVG 9.0 & I suspect that was the final nail in the current configuration.

A start from scratch re-install appears to be working, its not crashing every 30 mins & even the ads on the side of this page are not causing hickups 🙂

Shakey
    Free Member

I have used AVG for a while but AVG 9.0 seems to be bit more hungry than previous releases and can tip some computers over the edge especially if they have a small amount of memory such as 512MB (XP O/S obviously, slightly too small for Vista).

I have also had problems installed version 9.0!!

Personally I would run with at least 2GB of memory!

MtbCol
    Free Member

Another vote for Avast here.
    I used to be an AVG user but found Avast to be a much better solution for me.

chvck
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials.

+1

And again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I've just swtiched to MSE as well. Seems very light on resources and my pooter starts and runs way quicker now. Impressed.

Free as well!

Drac

Avast same here tried AVG found it a bit poo and did slow my system down but that was a good few years back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sorry another computer question. What free AV?’ is closed to new replies.