Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sore teeth after cycling?
  • druidh
    Free Member

30-60 minutes after cycling I often experience a broad toothache across a large part of my mouth – usually the bottom set of teeth.

I’m not clenching my teeth with cycling. Nor(as far as I can tell so far) is it to do with breathing in cold air.

It seems to last for 15-60 minutes and is very uncomfortable.

I don’t have any fillings around that part of my mouth, so it’s not related to that.

Am I alone in this?

Harry_the_Spider

The guy riding this yesterday also has sore teeth.

https://picasaweb.google.com/paulbikey/HITTHENORTHMANCHESTER#5572896470837489202

I’d guess it could be down to cold air. However I am frequently wrong about many things.

fasthaggis

It will be those alien implants trying to send signals to the mothership. 😉

or

you are smiling too much while cycling 😀

fasthaggis
    99percentchimp
    Free Member

Druid – I used to get a very painful upper jaw that actually throbbed during and after cycling – but this was in the base of root filled tooth – had to have the root canal redone (shades of Marathon Man – no anesthetic!)… but you say no fillings in the area – mine was a minor abcess – maybe something like that – when your blood pressure is up, and the pain is difficult to relate to the point source at the base of (hopefully) one tooth?? Was for me – cured (instantly too!).
    by some drilling in my case
    I used to get a very cold lower jaw too when winter climbing – this went right into the bone/teeth (or that’s how it felt) – cured by a rather fetching balaclava…. maybe not what you want to hear in terms of advice on sartorial elegance.

druidh
    Free Member

Power of the interweb

Yeah – I had a look, but nothing matched my symptoms.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

My first thought is also to elevated blood pressure affecting localised inflamation. Have you had your 6-month check-up?

igm

Tooth ache from riding? Richard at Fulford Cycles is the man you need to ask. Mind you he lost the front end on a time trial bike and is just finishing the bone graft and facial reconstruction stuff.

MSP

Do you ride a singlespeed? It could be all the teeth clenching and gurning you have to do to get up a hill.

Dr_Bike
    Free Member

You’re not alone….I get tooth pain after commuting when it’s cold i.e. anywhere less than 3-4 degrees, it can last most of the day sometimes and appears to vary depending on temperature. I now use a buff in winter to breath through and that has sorted the problem.

druidh
    Free Member

As I wrote above, the pain isn’t experienced while cycling.

scaredypants

do you eat/drink a load of sugary shite, gels etc ? – maybe it’s yer teeth dissolving

bullit
    Free Member

Druidh- I get this exact same tooth pain following morning commute. Ride to work takes about 25mins and lower front teeth ache about 30 mins after riding and lasts up to an hour. Really pisses me off. Dentist advice was stop clenching teeth in sleep! Not much use really and would like to know how else it may be avoided. Not obviously confined to cold weather either.

druidh
    Free Member

A bump to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Haze

Bite down on an inner tube?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Yeah I get this sometimes, not while riding but running. Feels like sugar is attacking my teeth/gums and I really want to brush my teeth, despite not eating or drinking suggary things. Not had it for a while now and I think it is diet/hydration related but not sure.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sore teeth after cycling?’ is closed to new replies.