• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sonic boom/Explosion west of Cambridge
  • willard

Has anyone else living between Cambridge and St. Neots just heard a bloody loud bang?

I’ll admit that I thought my wife had dropped something large and heavy upstairs, but the local kids were all running around shouting that the world has ended, so I need some independent verification of what it was.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The RAF going supersonic or the sonic boom from a meteor entering the lower atnosphere?

allthepies
    Free Member

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Heard it in St Ives, sonic boom I think

Didn’t sound like an explosion, remember when I still lived in London and the IRA blew up Canary Wharf, different noise to this one

willard

Thanks all! Would be nice to know what caused it, but since we’ve not seen any overt signs of alien invasion, I’m guessing it was just some fast jet pilot getting frisky.

toys19
    Free Member

Pah they would say that! It was the vanguard of the alien invasion.

petrieboy

My 4 year old said it was a dragon.

It was great – they should do sonic booms every day!!

TheWrongTrousers

A pair of Typhoons from Conningsby launched on a QRA after an aircraft inbound to Heathrow lost comms

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can just imagine the grin on the Typhoon jockeys face when he hears something like, ‘Boxer you are cleared to go supersonic’.

Although he might be preoccupied. 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I know scrambling aircraft to intercept Airliners is not that uncommon but I don’t think they often go supersonic so I guess they must have been quite concerned. I hope the boom didn’t hurt anyone or cause much damage.

somouk
    Free Member

They’re not allowed to go supersonic over land unless authorised so they obviously had good reason.

Happened a couple of times over the last few months I think due to jets not responding and the like. I bet they love it!

samuri
    Free Member

The grin on the pilots face was my first thought too. 😉
    “Oh, you want me to get there fast do you? Well I can do that!”

Duffer
    Free Member

1130? At least he’ll have just caught the end of Jeremy Kyle before being stood up…

stanfree
    Free Member

When I was about 9 I was walking to school In Elgin and a pilot from RAF Lossie did this on his final flight . Absolutely awesome noise , being at the height of the Cold War I thought this was a russian bomb. 😆

oldnpastit

Alien invaders taking up a defensive position at Cambourne would have been a lot more interesting…

richmars

Alien invaders taking up a defensive position at Cambourne would have been a lot more interesting…

Aliens took over Cambourne many years ago.

Drac

Was it not Guile?

sbob
    Free Member

Tijuana Taxi – Member

Heard it in St Ives, sonic boom I think

I was leaving St. Ives at the time, but missed it due to some preponderant funk. 8)

sbob
    Free Member

richmars – Member

Aliens took over Cambourne many years ago.

I thought it was the aliens that built Cambourne…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sonic boom/Explosion west of Cambridge’ is closed to new replies.