Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fred Whitton – Anyone doing it this year?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Some friends of mine are doing it and one has had to drop out, so I’ve agreed to take his place. This is probably a really bad idea given that I’ve done next to no training and the event is in 3 1/2 weeks.

I’m thinking HIIT combined with a couple of long rides at the weekends between now and then in a vain attempt to get some gains out of the last minute training.

How badly am I going to suffer? Will I die? Was this a really really silly thing to do?

Anyone else who’s doing it give me some comfort about how under prepared you all are… please? 🙁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

you’ll be fine.
    I’m a complete punter and managed it last year, admittedly it took a long time.
    Just be prepared that there are a lot of significant hills on the southbound “coastal” section that you’ve probably never heard of but which are really hard work. Cold Fell being one of them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Enjoy it – and ensure you have the appropriate gearing!

I tried for 3 years and never got in – so gave up.

+1 on dont underestimate the S section!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry to much. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. A mate dropped out, I took his place and completed it without much bother. The furthest I’d ridden before the event was 40miles and I was on an old road bike with downtube shifters, flat pedals and a big chainset!

It did take me an age though (8 hours something) and I pushed up hardknott!

boxelder

You’ll struggle to take his place, unless you have arranged it with the boss – photo ID required to register to start this year.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

You’ll struggle to take his place, unless you have arranged it with the boss – photo ID required to register to start this year.

Yup, sorted with the organiser. Taken his place but need to pay and register separately.

Got a compact 34-25, which is usually enough to get up anything, even before hitting the 25 on the back, but i’ve never ridden anything as steep as 25% with 100 miles in the legs before! Just hope it’s a nice day 😀

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Yup, sorted with the organiser. Taken his place but need to pay and register separately.

Did the person you are replacing get a refund? I have just been asked to be a replacement but was unaware that photo ID etc was needed.

In a similar position op….I have been mostly pootling this year so very unprepared.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the usual approach is that the person dropping out loses their entry fee, and the person taking their place pays a full entry fee.

34-25 is okay but you’ll appreciate a 27t or 28t sprocket on Honister and HardKnott.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Did the person you are replacing get a refund? I

Nope, he loses his entry fee which goes to the charity, but he does get a reserved place next year (though still has to pay). Or thats how I understand it to work.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

good to know, ta.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Good luck to everyone on here who’s taking part this weekend! Weather is looking variable at best, but i’m sure it’ll be fin regardless!

stufive
    Free Member

Starting to feel a bit jittery..going to register tomorrow 6am start weather looks sh%t for a change.. 😕

ransos
    Free Member

Got a compact 34-25, which is usually enough to get up anything, even before hitting the 25 on the back, but i’ve never ridden anything as steep as 25% with 100 miles in the legs before! Just hope it’s a nice day

I hit a 25% incline at about 80 miles into a sportive last week. My advice is to fit a bigger cassette.

LardLover
    Free Member

I’m doing it, never done it before. Keep an eye out for a guy in M.Steels clothing (only one from the club doing it so should be the only one wearing Steels kit!).

I’ve bottled the 25 max and gone for a 29, with compact chainset. I still think I’ll be suffering.

Say hello if you pass me on the ups.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, it’s stopped raining (for now!)

Good luck everyone who’s doing it. I was gonna go round and take snaps with my mate, but I don’t think I’ll be in a fit state after the K2B. Might have a wander up Hardknott in the afternoon though, I’ll try and scrawl some words of encouragement on the road.

stufive
    Free Member

Well it’s over very wet and cold but got a time 7.40 so I’m happy sing as I only got a place nine days ago 😀

LardLover
    Free Member

Well done stufive 😀

I did it in 9hrs 59mins. First time for me so took it real easy as I didn’t know what to expect. We had a long stop at Calder Bridge, one of the guys I was doing it with had to retire with near hypothermia after Cold Fell. Really stoked that I managed to get over Hardknot with stopping, I am chuffed to bits 😀
    I will definitely try and get a place on next years, now I have a time I want to go back and better it.

All in all I loved it, despite being in a world of pain………at times.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well done everyone! Tough ride, especially with the crap weather over Cold Fell. 8:03 riding time, 8:57 total. Pleased with that considering the lack of training. Made it up all the climbs on the 25 with a bit of swearing and a lot of teeth gritting 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton – Anyone doing it this year?’ is closed to new replies.