Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Sometimes, you really COULDN'T make it up…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I know I've said I'm not going to keep going on about it and I REALLY AM trying not to respond as expected to mentions of the big daddy in the sky stuff, so PLEASE forgive me for this, but I just couldn't resist it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7911918/Cerebral-palsy-sufferer-broke-both-legs-on-healing-pilgrimage.html

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh, the irony… 😕

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ace!
    That just leaves the vegan thread missing now 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Mrs Featherstone, 60, said: "You go to Lourdes to get cured and she came back with two broken legs. It's unbelievable."

😯

TheFlyingOx

Hang on. She broke her legs in 2005 and died in Feb this year, and her family want to blame her death on the broken legs?

\It's an outrage!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That's actually a very sad story, about someone who suffered from a terrible illness and who'd also battled cancer. Not exactly something to take the piss out of, I wouldn't have thought. The poor lady had a condition which medical science couldn't cure, so she turned to her faith. Nothing wrong with that, and if it gave her comfort, then that's a good thing surely?

Or maybe I just lack a sense of humour, and instead should mercilessly mock something I don't myself believe in?

Cougar

The poor lady had a condition which medical science couldn't cure

Yeah, religion.

Harry_the_Spider

They are going to sue God? Who is is lawyer?

It wouldn't have happened if she'd drunk Slurm™

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, religion.

No I meant Cerebral Palsy actually. But you knew that.

The family suing thing does sound a bit desperate.

highclimber
    Free Member

OOOOOOOhhhhh, the Irony.

its terrible that she died but I fail to see whom the family might seek damages from regarding her death.

molgrips
    Free Member

Very sad, but Woppit doesn't give a flying sh*t about that since he's a complete bastard. Some carers dropped her, she was badly injured – not hard to see how a claim could be reasonable here.

Not really anything to do with religion either – she could've been on a trip to the Superbowl, wouldn't've made any difference would it? The fact it was Lourdes just adds irony. Sad irony, but there you go.

Cougar

Whilst I sympathise in so far as they've every right to claim compensation for an accident occuring due to someone else's negligence, the problem here is that they haven't claimed(*) for the broken legs, they've waited five years till she's rolled off the mortal coil and then are claiming for death. That's not seeking compensation, that's grubbing.

(* – or maybe they have and this is a second claim? Either way, point stands)

wwaswas

I fail to see whom the family might seek damages from regarding her death.

the goon who failed to use a hoist properly I'd guess, but as above it all seems a bit late and a little sad now.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and if it gave her comfort, then that's a good thing surely?

two broken legs ent very comfortable 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Very sad, but Woppit doesn't give a flying sh*t about that since he's a complete bastard.

Keyboard warrior types furious accusations about someone he's never met, shocker…

Cougar

Also on a point of pedantry, the victim in the story is varyingly "Ms," "Mrs" and "Mr," *insert here a weary comment about the state of journalism today*

belgianbob

Just bought a 12-pack of Slurm. Any advice on how long it will take to cure my bad back?
    Thanks all.

Cougar

(unless it was Mr Mitchell who the volunteers were bathing, I suppose. It'd explain why they were distracted enough to drop the hoist)

surfer
    Free Member

Not really anything to do with religion either

Really?

Cougar

Visited Lourdes and then five short years later, got to meet god. Sounds like a successful trip to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, really.

She had an accident, possibly caused by someone's negligence. Why does it matter where she was and why?

Keyboard warrior types furious accusations about someone he's never met, shocker…

a) it's not furious
    b) it's how you come across on here, I'd be happy to be proved wrong but given how you seem thrilled to be able to post a thread about an unfortunate old woman, I just dunno

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It's not about the woman.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What's it about then, Mr Woppit? Please, do tell.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Horses and water, probably.

dave360

"Woppit doesn't give a flying sh*t about that since he's a complete bastard"

I can't believe that. Come on Woppit, let's have some redeeming features.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, I'm fond of kittens… Although I DO resort to personal abuse. Apparently.

wwaswas

Woppit, relaxing;

MrWoppit
    Free Member

😆 Eeeeexcelllent!!

deluded
    Free Member

It's a fact of life that on occasions the best comedy is more often born of tragedy.

Why is it that none of the attendees that go to Lourdes, do so for the miraculous re-growth of a severed limb?

I should imagine that more people come away with diarrhea from submersion in those feted communal waters than receive a miracle.

I suppose it boils down to whatever gives you hope. Personally I'd rather draw it from elsewhere.

All the best.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Or maybe I just lack a sense of humour

nail on the head, well spotted

I should imagine that more people come away with diarrhea from submersion in those feted communal waters than receive a miracle.

Or, they come back less full of religious sh*t than when they went – it's a miracle

BermBandit
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with that, and if it gave her comfort, then that's a good thing surely?

What a sinister and rather nasty organisation making a handsome living out of conning gullible and desperate people?? I would say thats appalling frankly, and in any right minded society it would clearly be illegal and high on the hangmans to do list!

Cougar

In the same vein, how irresponsible is it of her family to be giving false hope to an ill old woman? "Yeah, let's blow a load of money on going to Lourdes, you'll be cured and it'll be a miracle!" That's pretty sick.

Even if you "believe," what's it tell you when it doesn't work? "Sorry, your god hates you really."

willard

Steady on there chap, I've only just got this keyboard you know!

Faith healing is all well and good to some people, but apparently it could not cure my torn left hamstring or my dodgy knees. Mind you, it was back in the late 90's that they told me that (faith healing session at chapel next to my old local off license in West London), so maybe their techniques have improved a bit and they can now cure my hayfever.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and in any right minded society it would clearly be illegal and high on the hangmans to do list!

must all right minded societies condone institutional murder ? Is there any evidence that prohibition works any better for religions than it does for drugs ?

BermBandit
    Free Member

**** me it's a miracle SFB's back from the dead!

molgrips
    Free Member

If someone wants to go to Lourdes to pray, why would you stop them paying for it?

Stalin banned religion, didn't he?

geoffj

I'm no God botherer, but as I get older I've become a lot more tolerant of those that choose to indulge in the Sunday morning singing and clapping.

I think of it as a big club that they belong to. They like to be in the club and they like seeing their friends at their club (probably a bit like a bog trotters outing I would imagine).

I suspect a lot of folk get a lot of pleasure and comfort from going to Lourdes and they should. It could be a nice little holiday that leaves them a bit more refreshed and capable of dealing the world. Nowt wrong with that.

Carers dropping patients and breaking their legs is wrong, but so is leaving it 5 years and then trying to find someone to sue, to make some money out of it.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

The organisation (that I can find on google, dunno about t'other) appears to be a registered charity. Are they allowed to make a handsome living?

BermBandit
    Free Member

The organisation (that I can find on google, dunno about t'other) appears to be a registered charity.

Type in C-A-T-H-O-L-I-C{space}C-H-U-R-C-H

willard

Bloody right… Charged me 7 euros to go up St. Peter's Basilica last week, and then proceeded to fleece me another 15 or something to see the Sistene Chapel. Blatant profiteering I tell you! We weren't even allowed to take photos in there either (still did though).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sometimes, you really COULDN'T make it up…’ is closed to new replies.