Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • sometimes I hate being over 40!
  • fastindian
    Free Member

I’ve never really been bothered about my age but one thing i’ve noticed is that the further past 40 I get the more nights of disturbed sleep I get, 4am this morning and needless to say couldnt get back to sleep till 10 minutes before the kids got up!

Anyone else, what other aliments do you suffer from?

loddrik
    Free Member

Do they kick in after 40? I’m 38 but nothing out of the ordinary happening yet…

seanlsy
    Free Member

I even hate being over 30

Coyote
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve noticed the sleep thing too. Glad it’s not just me.

Other than that, post 40 is fab!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeah, the sleep thing here too – and seeing as my job is fairly physical i’m shattered by the time the weekend comes around 🙁

I’ve just hit 40 – I only sleep between 5-6 hours a night normally due to the time I go to bed, so suits me

flip
    Free Member

Yes sleep thing here too, plus my joints ache slightly more each passing year….

Having alcohol the night before wastes at least a complete day after 😕

EDIT: I’m 42

donsimon
    Free Member

Life hasn’t been the same since passing the 21yr milestone. 😕

Alphabet

So it’s not just me with the sleep (or lack of) thing then.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Noticed I don’t need as much sleep, which I think is normal as you get older. Trust your body and not your mind. If you start thinking you need more sleep then you start feeling crap. Tell yourself your body is obviously rested enough and make the most of waking up early by getting out on your bike. Works for me.

dave65
    Free Member

same here with the sleep , 5 hours a night if im lucky.Seemed to get worse when i went from a physical job to an office job.thought it was just me !

takisawa2

Not a big sleeper here also. 5hrs…6 max for me, at a grand 43yrs & I’m up early (5am) running every other day. Feeling fitter these days than I have for 10yrs, thanks to losing weight. 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I never had a good night’s sleep since having kids (the oldest is now 30 -eek!), but the last few months I do seem to be sleeping through the night – the only problem is I ache more in the morning!

Harry_the_Spider

42. Haven’t had a good night’s sleep in years.

Stoner
    Free Member

35 and sleep like a log for 8hrs till the kids start screaming in the morning, alcohol or not.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

47 here and struggle to get more than 2 good nights sleep in a row.
    I don’t seem to have slowed down any on the bike but it’s easier to provoke various aches and pains. At the moment I’m blaming a completely manic summer at work for feeling knackered. Hopefully that’ll change after a quiet month or two.

DezB
    Free Member

After 40 for me, hair started going grey, sleep problems, worst thing though: BRUISES!
    Never used to bruise at all, now big black bruises, take ages to go! Other injuries take ages to heal too.

shooterman

I’ve just turned 40 and it’s the sleep thing here too. I had put it down to stress but maybe it’s just age!

fastindian
    Free Member

DezB – After 40 for me, hair started going grey

Lucky you I started going grey at 16! still got a nice full thick head of hair though,

downshep

Alcohol = diuretic = get up for a pee.
    Young children = needy = get up to tuck them back in.
    Cat = hungry = get up to throw it outside.

Sleep is apparently for others.

Downshep, Age 44 and 1/3.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yep, mother’s genetic payback kicked in at 40 and I inherited sleepless nights, no matter how much excercise I do or if I take a nytol or sominex. A re-org at work is not helping either.

I also notice that crash recovery takes a lot longer these days.

zippykona

My physio told me that the human body is not designed to go beyond 38 years. Things certainly don’t heal as well once you hit 40.
    As someone who went bald early I’m glad that at 46 my haircut is now not too out of place.

GJP
    Free Member

47 here, sleep is not so much a problem or at least not a chronic one. Just started to get that feeling though that it might be wise to go for a pee a hour or two before I get up.

Went on holiday with a friend about 10-12 years and he was up and down all night going for a pee, and his wife was not much better, so I may be doing well on this count.

No ED here yet, I wonder when I have that little gem to contend with 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve noticed i don’t sleep well when i drink, even the three beers i had last night made me restless 🙁

Also, due to yrs of manual work i’ve developed RSI-type damage to my elbows and wrists, i get reccurrences of sciatica, my knees are fecked due to my CMT conditions and my gran keeps making comments about how grey my hair is – you can talk!!!! 😯

iainc

45 here.
    fitter than I was 10 yrs ago and better on the bike……but, can’t handle booze, everything hurts, arthritis in knees, feet , hands.

sleep ok, unless I’ve had a drink, usually about 8 hrs, with a pee stop 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Holy crap! If any of you lot were horses, they’d be calling the vet for the most humane solution. 😛

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I can hear the rattle of the glue factory cart outside my door…. 😆

Just one of those things, but the really strange thing is that most of the time i ache and bits hurt etc, when i get on the bike it just seems to disappear – comes back with a vengeance when i get off though!

samuri
    Free Member

I haven’t had a good nights sleep since I was 23. I’m 44 now.

But as for passing 40, I think the only thing I’ve really noticed is that if I go for a proper hard ride, it takes me a little longer to recover nowadays. Apart from that, it’s much of the same.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s not the glue factory, it’s the Cloaked skeletal figure standing behind me in my mirror reflection that scares the willies out of me; keeps tapping the hour glass he’s holding and there’s more sand in the bottom than the top!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

40 was a walk in the park

Try 50…

But I sleep as long as I want 6 out of 7 nights, life is good, and I am heavy but fit. The impending need for reading glasses is a pain, and one of my cars is insured by Saga… but life is pretty good… Hangovers suck more though.

The Grim Reaper is getting closer and closer, and whilst I am sure I will be skiing at 80, I can see MTBing may only have another 5-10 years.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Must admit, thats a thought that worries me – how long i’ve got left doing this hobby!

mogrim

Bollocks, less than a week to go til the big four-oh… I’m heading off to bed now, best get the sleep hours in!

skiboy
    Free Member

stoats brother excuse me but thats crap bub,

one of my riding buddies is 63 this year, he’s not quite as fast as he was a few years back but still makes me work and i’m 20 yrs his junior and fit, i’ve been riding 80 miles every week for over 7 yrs, he rides about the same just a little slower on sunday, probably due to the bottle of wine he has saturday nights.

i know i will be riding in 20yrs time thanks to him, don’t sell yourself short mate, oh and he had a heart attack 4yrs ago. (genetic problem not weight related).

sleep wise, kids eh..bummer, wouldn’t be without them, reminds me of my childhood always first out in the morning on the paper round, now tho’ i go off to work on my bike at 520am, i could take the car and go at 745am but the kids usually wake around 6-630am so might as well just go enjoy the morn.

stumpyjon

Same experiences as eveyone else really. Two plus points though.

1. An ever larger percentage of the female population is now looking attractive.
    2. A new mattress (how much are good mattresses!!!!) whilst not necessarily imporving the amount of sleep seems to have stopped me waking up feeling like I’ve just fallen down the stairs.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh yes, the ‘more attractive women’ thing. Whilst the extreme younger end of the spectrum (be careful!) are looking less attractive, the number of attractive ladies in their 30’s 40’s and beyond has exploded it seems 🙂

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Wait ’til you get the other of 50 . . . .

TiRed

44, sleep a sound 7 hours every night. I’m pretty binary mind, instantly awake and instantly asleep. None of this slowly dropping off nonsense. I also used to wake for the kids, settle them and return to bed before their mother stirred. The first five years were the worst. Now, I’m the one waking the teenager 😈

millcar
    Free Member

Weirdly. I’m fitter but since 40 i’ve fell from bike rupturing artery (!!) had 6 hours in theatre having it prepared, prolapsed a neck disc and had 3 months on floor sleeping, ruptured ulna collateral ligament skiing had a repair but it failed, diagnosed with high BP and cholesterol WTF im fitter Why??? and i think finally at least to date fracture my radial head in my elbow convalesd with minimum bike time upto D2D raced,19th in pairs and 5 laps for me was worth it, now it hurts as it did 6 weeks ago…. :’-)

I’m just turned 44.

and why did i stop sleeping though!!?? i thought it was just me… Research project anyone??

Houns

Also hate being over 30 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

44 here. No sleep problems, solid 7-8 hours most nights, 9.5 hours last night, even waking up needing a pee only happens about twice a year.

General fitness has dropped off but I put that as much down to working from home and no longer getting the miles in commuting as I do to ageing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘sometimes I hate being over 40!’ is closed to new replies.