Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Someone not paying road tax – report them?
  • BoardinBob

I’ve been walking the dog on a new route in the mornings for the last week or so and I’ve noticed a house that has 15 – 20 cars parked in the garden or on the street in front of the house. The house sits on it’s own in the street with open land for about 100 feet either side so it’s fair to assume the cars belong to that house.

There are a lot of nice cars; mercs, jags & audis. On closer inspection this morning none of them have road tax. Now for the ones parked in the garden, they could be declared SORN, but for the ones on the road if they’re declared SORN, he’s breaking the law. The road is a public road in a residential area.

Judging by the amount of cars the owner is probably involved in the motor trade. Quite a few of the cars have tax discs that expired back in 2007, some are sitting with flat tires and clearly haven’t moved in a while. If he’s a motor trader, does that make a difference to the road tax situation (there are no trade plates on any vehicle).

So would you be a good citizen and report them, or just ignore it as it’s none of your business?

woody2000

I would, shop ’em!

5thElefant
    Free Member

No difference between sorn for motor trade and private.

They get automatically sent a fine for not sorning like the rest of us. If the fact they’re parked on the road rather than off-road upsets you that much, sure, go for it. I can’t say I could give a monkeys.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Does it really bother you? Do you want to cause someone grief and aggro when they have done nothing against you?

I’d leave it, no big deal. The village I grew up in was like that, and it was just life, perfectly normal, not tainted by the big brother brush that hits people nowadays with it’s rules and rising costs/fines.

djglover
    Free Member

NIMBY

BoardinBob

NIMBY

No actually. It’s a fair bit away from where i stay.

BoardinBob

Does it really bother you? Do you want to cause someone grief and aggro when they have done nothing against you?

Yeah that’s true, but then again, you and I are contributing and other people think they can just not bother.

If it was a person that was fraudulently claiming benefits while you were working hard and paying your taxes…

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Yes but the thing here is that they are not out and about causing wear and tear on the roads…so you’re not paying anything for them to park the cars on the road in front of their house. I’m sure as a small business he is struggling to pay the bills and keep on top of all of his legal obligations as it is.

djglover
    Free Member

Again we are here, picking on the small man, you don’t know his circumstances. perhaps you could find a better cause to fight?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Or make your own decision based on your morality instead of asking strangers on the internet

sofatester
    Free Member

Why do you think its right to shop this person? What would you feel like if you got a brown envelope drop on your mat?

Besides, im sure you don’t clear up every last drop of dog waste when you go on a walk. What if someone shopped you for that?

colnagokid

It may be a private road so they may not be on the ‘road’ as such. If hes a dealer they wont be registerd to him, just grass him up anyway!

jon1973
    Free Member

What would you feel like if you got a brown envelope drop on your mat?

I pay my road tax.

Besides, chances are, not tax means no insurance and no MOT.

davidrussell
    Free Member

fair point sofa but why should I pay if he doesn’t? Would you do the same if you found someone was uninsured?

ton

GRASS 😈

mrmo
    Free Member

I would say, are the cars blocking the road, are they dangerously parked, etc. If they are just on the road and not causing a problem leave it, if they are blocking the road or pavement and never move then maybe.

richc
    Free Member

if it isn’t hurting anyone then I would leave be, as he could be a small motor trader (who are currently a bit buggered) and the fines could send him under and cost him and his employee’s their jobs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Would you do the same if you found someone was uninsured?
    I guess it would depend if the car was being driven or not. If it’s parked up with flat tyres I wouldn’t be too worried.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As long as the cars are not being driven then what harm is it doing? If they’re being driven on the road then that’s a different matter.

Conor
    Free Member

Got a new van through work last wednesday. brand new, delivered by dealer. No tax disk. boss says, not to worry as it IS taxed. Disc is in the post. Eventually turned up today… bet by the time I get out to it this evening (parked mile from office) I’ll have a ticket!!

BoardinBob

would say, are the cars blocking the road, are they dangerously parked, etc

Yes, they’re abandoned everywhere and although some have been sitting for a while, others are parked in different places each day so they’re being driven at some point.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

It comes down to the old stupid attidtude of “It’s not fair, I want something that someone else has got”.

Just forget it! Never mind insurance this, benefit cheat that…life is a lot simpler than some people try to make it.

You say the cars are parked all over the place and dangerously… are you being serious? It sounds like exaggeration to me. What if you inadvertently had one tyre with tread below 4mm. Someone walking past noticed it and told DVLA, who then hit you with all the fines/points under the sun. How would you feel about that person? Would you sit there and understand how you affected their life and they had every right to grass you in, or would you in fact think “my my what a sad little person that is”?

josemctavish
    Free Member

Reminds me of a couple of years back when myself and two neighbours had fully taxed cars parked in the lane behind the gardens but had also simultaneously forgotten to stick our new tax discs in the window. Some “Good Samaritan” obviously took offence to this and we all received nice fines from the police for our absent-mindedness.

BoardinBob

It sounds like exaggeration to me.

At what point have I exaggerated anything?

I’ve been very careful to only state facts.

At no point did I indicate my preference to report or ignore.

But in true STW style the usual suspects jump to conclusions…

davidrussell
    Free Member

@ murdoch and Jose –

why have laws if there are acceptable criteria that make it ok to not participate?

that train of thought has serious consequences…

jon1973
    Free Member

Got a new van through work last wednesday. brand new, delivered by dealer. No tax disk. boss says, not to worry as it IS taxed. Disc is in the post. Eventually turned up today… bet by the time I get out to it this evening (parked mile from office) I’ll have a ticket!!

If you have paid for your road tax, on line for example you won’t get a ticket even if it’s not displayed because they can do an immdediate on-line check.

BoardinBob

why have laws if there are acceptable criteria that make it ok to not participate?

Unfortunately there are people who think the rules don’t apply to them

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to shop him.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

How are they parked dangerously? Do they bite children? Trip up joggers?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yep.

if the cars properly registered, he’d have got fined anyway.

if its not, its most likely not in a suitable condition to be on the road.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the law. I’d hazard a guess that most people on here choose not to obey the law on fitting pedal reflectors.

davidrussell
    Free Member

“I guess it depends on the law. I’d hazard a guess that most people on here choose not to obey the law on fitting pedal reflectors. “

And thus you should be willing to accept the consequences.

rights and responsibilities….

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Shop’em. If I have to pay a tax i can barely afford i dont see why someone with X many cars should openly flaunt it.

If its legit it isnt going to be a problem for them, if it isnt then they will get the fine they deserve.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

david russell… accept consequences when the authorities find you breaking the law yes.

NOT when your neighbour phones the police to say you cycle without pedal reflectors and they come knocking.

The issue with this thread isn’t the law anyway, it’s about one man’s decision whether to put a neighbour in trouble or not. Right or wrong, acceptable or not. It comes down to whether you have a basic desire to see black and white upheld at cost to fellow people, or whether you have a basic instinct of caring for and to look after other people around you. No rationale really, I am the latter, I don’t like seeing hurt to anyone regardless of the circumstances.

BoardinBob

How are they parked dangerously? Do they bite children? Trip up joggers?

They’re partially blocking the road/ parked on verges/ pavements/ parked at all angles.

5thElefant
    Free Member

And thus you should be willing to accept the consequences.

Crap. I’m worried now. What are the consequences?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Maybe better to phone the council re the blocking of pavements.

djglover
    Free Member

Must be a troll, no one in the real world is this anal, appart from on the daily mail message board.

josemctavish
    Free Member

If you have paid for your road tax, on line for example you won’t get a ticket even if it’s not displayed because they can do an immdediate on-line check.

You can’t get a ticket for not having tax but you can get one for not displaying your disc, as I found out!

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

josemctavish – Member

You can’t get a ticket for not having tax but you can get one for not displaying your disc, as I found out!

This is what I’m trying to tell my girlfriend who always leaves it until 2 days before the end of the month to apply online for hers. Virtually had to drag her to the post office this week to do it in person!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Someone not paying road tax – report them?’ is closed to new replies.