Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Someone bought my boy wrong football strip.
  • bryan-g-

For his birthday my 7 year old was bought a football strip by a friend as a wee bit of a wind up joke as it is a team I detest not just because of the team but all the bigotry and crap that comes with it. So I have taken it of him and am returning it and now have a very upset boy, not because he supports or even knows anything about it. What woul you do. Most of my friends on both sides say the same that it would be taken of the child.

plyphon
    Free Member

I would get a good night sleep and not worry about it because it’s

A: Just football
    B: A tshirt.

robowns
    Free Member

Erm let him keep it? Don’t really understand how you can detest a team in a game?

Northwind

I’m going to make a wild guess here, is it possible you’re scottish 😆

We got a mate’s baby a celtic strip, I think he may have burned it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My immediate thought was it’s just a football kit, but if you have genuine reason for not liking that team then fair enough. Poor form to use your kid to play a prank on you. What would I do? Buy my boy another strip if my feelings about the other team were strong enough.

MoreCashThanDash

You took a (non dangerous) present off your 7 year old because you have a problem with it?

You need to have a word with yourself.

PMK2060

Football fans are a weird bunch :).

nealglover
    Free Member

..and now have a very upset boy

What woul you do

The opposite of what you did I reckon.

It’s the lads birthday and you’ve basically nicked one of his presents, and upset him, because it doesn’t match what you think.

pipiom
    Free Member

If it’s Manure I applaud you…if not you’re ill

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your “friends” are out of order and you wont be able to explain it to a non football fan

Like NW I suspect there are sectarian overtones to this which i am glad to have left behind in Scotland ;the attitudes shames the game and the country.

Northwind

ITS LIEK GIVIN A BLACK KID A KKK COSTUME!!tWO& LOL

It’s not really.

bryan-g-

Not really that interested in football any more but like I said I don’t like the whole bigotry that alway creeps in with this team.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Buy their kid a drum kit next birthday.

zippykona

Keep the kit and sew your teams badge on it.
    It’s like planting your flag on foreign soil.

epicyclo

You did the right thing. Don’t encourage kids to play wendyball.

Buy him a cycling jersey instead. 🙂

jam-bo

Beaten too it.

This is sTW, any football strip is the wrong one.

timmys

…I don’t like the whole bigotry that alway creeps in with this team.

Eugh, Chelsea I presume. Fun for all the family.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

So I have taken it of him and am returning it and now have a very upset boy

not this, its his birthday and you take away his present? Nice going. You’ve just exhibited the same bigotry and sectarianism

bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d have let him keep it, but explain to him why you find it so offensive, and let him make up his own mind about what he wants to wear.

bryan-g-

Cycling tops he has a plenty.

taxi25
    Free Member

Is it a Celtic/Rangers thing ? I reckon the whole buisness with those two teams is madness, but I understand how the wrong kit could be inappropriate.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Like others I’m thinking Rangers/Celtic? Replace it with a non-sectarian alternative if the lad’s a football fan. Let your friend know what an @rse he is.

wwaswas

I don’t think children should wear clothing that sends a message they’re not old enough to understand.

If your boy is able to comprehend what the sort means to those looking at him then I’d hope he would choose not to wear it, if he can’t understand then you have to make the decision for him.

I’d offer an alternative if he doesn’t keep it though.

higgo
    Free Member

Let him keep the kit for his birthday.
    Replace it with one of your choice in a few days.
    Have a word with your ‘mate’ for using your kid in the hilarious prank.

theotherjonv

I used to play in goal for a side that had a strong Irish connection. They insisted on playing in green and white hoops. So I retaliated

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Replace it with a non-sectarian alternative

A simple football top isn’t sectarian.

breadcrumb

Accidentally boil wash it and replace with a more caring teams shirt?

matts
    Free Member

Football?

They’re all a bunch of pricks. So as long you don’t indoctrinate him, you did him a favour.

scotroutes

You’ve just introduced your son to bigotry by using his father as an example.

Go you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’re right, just stick it in the bin and get him an England shirt with Rooney on the back instead

StirlingCrispin

I can see where the OP is coming from, but I say: Let him keep it.

But take your seven-year old to watch your local lower-league team, buy him (or her) a scarf and a meat-pie, and make him a fan for life.

Our neighbour took Thump to watch a certain green/white hooped team, and gave him a scarf too. Thump had a great time but several Stirling Albion games later is an Albion fan through and through.

( The same neighbour also took a life-long Juventus fan to watch them at Celtic Park last year – travelled through on the team bus, sat with season-ticket holders in his Juventus kit and had the time of his life! )

onlysteel
    Free Member

Football loyalties aren’t simple in much of Scotland, and not limited to Rangers/Celtic. Ever been to Larkhall?

AlasdairMc

most of my friend on both sides

Of what? Just buy him the other strip and they’ll cancel each other out.

brakes
    Free Member

take it off him and buy him something that he wants more.
    kick your mate in the bawbag.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Ever been to Larkhall?

There are no green traffic lights in Larkhall.

johnnystorm

What brakes said. On one hand taking a pressie from a child seems daft…. but if your mate genuinely bought it to annoy you, and used your child he’s a **** for putting you in that position.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

THM – I wouldnt go showing rugby up as the “good” “clean” sport given that it has by far the most people serving doping bans….

ninfan
    Free Member

Could you swap it for something more practical and educational, like a musical instrument?

A flute maybe?

ninfan
    Free Member

(weird double post deleted)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Someone bought my boy wrong football strip.’ is closed to new replies.