Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Someone bought my boy wrong football strip.
  • ThePinkster

FFS When are adult football fans going to start behaving like grownups, start setting decent examples to kids & realise at the end of the day it’s only a chuffin’ game?

geoffj

A flute maybe?

Or even an imaginary one?

simondbarnes

This thread makes me sad. Poor kid, having a birthday prezzie taken away by his own dad 🙁

eskay

simondbarnes – Member

This thread makes me sad. Poor kid, having a birthday prezzie taken away by his own dad

That is the bottom line but the kid is a pawn in a game that is being played by his dad’s mate. All done in jest but of course the kid does not understand it.

People attach themselves to teams. Sometimes it is due to nationality, sometimes it is local geography, sometimes it is handed down through the generations.

People are quick to brandish football as a demon for this type of thing but how would a Welsh/Scottish rugby fan feel is their child was given an England rugby kit as a prank? Or, the child of a macho father to be given a Barbie doll?

cookeaa

I am really glad I have two, quite girly girls.

Football still seems to make some people into utter knobs, others seem able to just enjoy it as a game…

OP’s kid, his choice how to raise him, so long as he’s happy he’s not instilling any future issues then crack on…

slowoldman

Have you ever noticed how people who don’t play the flute have no idea how one is held?

Anyway, re. the shirt. Lose it in the wash. It won’t be missed for long.

binners

I’ve had this, with mates of the bluer mancanian hue trying to draw daughter number one (who bloody loves her football) over to the dark side, when she was younger. It didn’t work. She’s more sense than that! And now wears the green and white of the team she plays for, and a proper red one off-pitch 😀

If they’d bought her a top, i’d have burnt it! i’m not having that shit in the house!

Nice to see the egg chasers tediously holding up their sport as a bastion of fairness and gentlemenly conduct though. I can’t quite square that with the messages of venomous hatred I’ve been reading today from Ireland fans towards England.

And then there’s the fact that rugby is just shit. But somehow I seem to manage not to feel the need to go on the rugby thread to point this out. If only the rugby fans could do the same Eh? I live in hope…. 😉

Northwind

binners – Member

And then there’s the fact that rugby is just shit.

Only if you’re scottish.

Anyway, I presume that this thread is all because he didn’t get a nice maroon top, perhaps with Zeefiuk on the back.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t like the whole bigotry that alway creeps in with this team…

An excellent example of irony!

You’ve just introduced your son to bigotry by using his father as an example.

Go you.

^^This

It’s attitudes like yours which are keeping sectarianism alive.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Take the ball off him too because of all the bigotry and crap that comes with it.

sc-xc

I decided not to move into a new house because I didn’t like the garden and the bigger tree that came with it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I don’t think the OP mentioned whether he supports the rival team, is it bigoted or sectarian if you detest both equally. FWIW assuming it is Rangers/Celtic, if either strip arrived for my 7yo it’d be in the bin.

jools182
    Free Member

This is exactly why I don’t like football

It causes grown men to act like 2 year olds

It’s a game

It’s a colour

And now you’re upsetting your child because of some ridiculous bigotry

steveoath
    Free Member

If indeed it was rangers/celtic then either would be on the bbq as far as i am concerned.

OP – Swap it for jersey/tickets to an international.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It is a bit of a leap to conclude that the OP is a bigot for objecting to bigotry, based on the limited information provided.

oldnpastit

It’s not easy being a dad 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s not easy being a dad

Well, I hope we all realise how stupid we are. It doesn’t matter in the slightest what happens with the strip!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jools182 – Member
    This is exactly why I don’t like ________

It causes grown men to act like 2 year olds

Fill in the blank
    Religion
    Beer
    Christmas shopping

It’s not football thats making it happen.

nealglover
    Free Member

People are quick to brandish football as a demon for this type of thing but how would a Welsh/Scottish rugby fan feel is their child was given an England rugby kit as a prank?

The opposite way round happened to my brother, he wasn’t bothered.

His daughter was bought a Wales kit and she loved it because her uncle bought her it (not me) and she wore it all the time, for a while. Nobody cared.

His son also has a football kit from the nemesis of the team his dad supports (season ticket holder for years)

They wind each other up for a bit of fun, but again, nobody really cares.

creamegg
    Free Member

A mate of mine bought me a n england rugby top as a piss take birthday presant (im welsh). I didnt have a strop about it and wore it with pride… It was the ideal attire for things like car or bike maintenance

kennyp
    Free Member

but how would a Welsh/Scottish rugby fan feel is their child was given an England rugby kit as a prank?

Easy answer. They would have a bit of a laugh, sit down and have a beer with the bloke that bought it, and the kid would be delighted. I know because I’ve seen it happen.

The OP thing about detesting another team is another example of why so many folk can’t be bothered with football. And don’t get me started on the of/off thing in the OP either!! (-:

Years ago, my dad gave my daughter a Sheffield Wednesday top. I support Sheffield United. The top stayed in a drawer and eventually disappeared. As it happened, my daughter would never have worn it, but at the time it made my old man happy to play his little prank and maybe feel that he had influenced his grandaughters taste in football. No-one died, no-one got upset and I have no idea what happened to the top 8)

mjsmke

This is so typical of what football does to people. It’s just colours and a club name. Let your son wear what he wants to wear and support who he wants to support. I feel sorry for your son if you take his gift away from him just because you don’t like that particular team.

kilo

mjsmke – Member
    I feel sorry for your son if you take his gift away from him just because you don’t like that particular team.

Isn’t the relvant bit in the OP

…but all the bigotry and crap that comes with it….”

so rather than it being footballing dislike the OP assocaites the strip with bigotry, if that’s how he feels I think his actions are fine.

findo_gask
    Free Member

I have to assume the strip is blue and bears the crest of a struggling giant from the West of Scotland? If that is the case; with all due respect to the rugby fans and English folk commenting ‘bad dad’ etc, you’re wrong and don’t understand the heavy symbolism at play.

This is not a simple football strip. If you’re even vaguely leftie or right-on in any way this would be like letting your kid wear the confederate flag on a trip to the southern US.

If the boy chose to wear it himself then you’d begrudgingly accept that – but it’s not something to be foisted by anyone else.

If you wonder why many right-thinking Scots don’t like the union flag understand this: it has nothing to do with England or anti-englishness. It’s because it has been entirely co-opted up here by bigots. It’s become a symbol of a sort of watered-down fascism. The shirt even more so.

The irony is not lost on me that all this makes me a massive bigot myself. I don’t care. I like football. I want any Scottish team to do well on the European stage. I like Glasgow. Some of my friends are Gers fans (though most of those have grown out of it). There are lots of nice bears fans in the same way I’m sure there are lots of UKIPers who aren’t bats**t crazy – but that doesn’t mean I’d ever consider voting for them.

I have a young son who I love and I want him to do things that make him happy… But I wouldn’t want him to wear the blue of Rangers.

nealglover
    Free Member

with all due respect to the rugby fans and English folk commenting ‘bad dad’ etc, you’re wrong and don’t understand the heavy symbolism at play.

Or, something you don’t seem to have taken into account, they do understand but still disagree with you.

scandal42
    Free Member

Correct decision, well done.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Do you understand though, NealGlover? ‘Cos it doesn’t sound like you do.

If the man has a decent reason to feel that way, that’s good enough for me. I was merely giving a relatable example from my part of the country.

grum
    Free Member

If you wonder why many right-thinking Scots don’t like the union flag

Is ‘right-thinking Scots’ code for ‘people who agree with me’?

Just wondering, are there any bigots who support other football teams, like Celtic for instance? There does seem to be a special breed of scumbag that supports Rangers though!

nealglover
    Free Member

Do you understand though, NealGlover? ‘Cos it doesn’t sound like you do.

What have a I said that makes you think I don’t understand.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Findo_gask +1

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

why not sell the shirt and let the poor kid buy what they really want ..shame to waste a decent present 🙂

mrmoofo

Whilst Rangers have a particularly scumming attitude to sectarianism, Celtic haven’t exactly been victims have they …
    Singing rebel songs and peppering the Fields of Athenry with IRA chants for example …
    It is a shame any friend would use kids to have a pop at a friend TBH. But is does sound like you are both part of the problem.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s interesting that people have jumped to conclusions as to what team’s shirt it is. There are more clubs out there who have bigotted fans than Rangers and Celtic.

williamnot
    Free Member

[/quote] is not a simple football strip. If you’re even vaguely leftie or right-on in any way this would be like letting your kid wear the confederate flag on a trip to the southern US.

This says far more about your own prejudices than anybody else’s

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s interesting that people have jumped to conclusions as to what team’s shirt it is.

I would say it’s more interesting that the OP decided not to say which team shirt it was that is so “wrong”

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I would say it’s more interesting that the OP decided not to say which team shirt it was that is so “wrong”

It’s because it’s a blatant troll.

julianwilson
    Free Member

💡 Perhaps the Op is researching for his psychology 101 coursework.

z1ppy

I’d be telling my m8 to get back and apologies to your son, for “using him”, that or dropping the prick if he won’t. Your “m8” is in the wrong, and has caused this, he either fixes it or **** off
    Football is great, go get on and play some… football supporter are different story.

TheSanityAssassin

Why not just take it back and swap it for a *Scotland kit?

* delete and add appropriate national team as applicable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Someone bought my boy wrong football strip.’ is closed to new replies.