Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Some smashing news and car advice combined….
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, after a pretty awful year, my father has kicked cancer in to the long grass! 🙂

That’s the rather smashing news, and I cannot begin to tell you all how happy I am about that!

The car advice is related, as various elements of the year have meant that he can’t really get down in to a lower slung car any more so it’s time for something higher up. I’ve suggested a Range Rover, obviously, but mother won’t drive anything that big! So, anyone have any real world experience of any of the following;
    VW Tiguan
    Audi Q5
    New LR Freelander

Thanks in advance,

A very happy Captain Flash

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve got no car advice, but happy vibes on yer dad mate 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

Excellent news for your dad and the family.
    As for the car, I’d probably go for the Tiguan. The Audi is just too bling and costly for my liking (is it not just the VW in a frock?), plus it’ll always look like you wish you could afford a Q7. As for the Landy, well its a Landy and I don’t know what the reliability is like of the current cars, but I’d still wager the VAG cars being far better on that front.

Trekster

VW would be my choice. New one on the way so advice is buy current one with a bit of haggling to get price down 😀
    I am a VW Touran owner btw.
    Others to consider/test drive are Fords Kuga and the Kia Sportage

pinches
    Free Member

Q5 is as you say a dressed up Tiguan. They’re a good “cross over” but the only thing i think beats it in the real world is the Skoda Yeti! Dad used to work for VW, and then moved to skoda, and they can’t get enough of them!

Do you actually need a proper 4wd? other “cross over” vehicles like nissan juke (very highly rated also) have the better lifted driving position, but without the transmission drag and drink habbit of a full on 4wd.

steveh

Honest john regularly things like the honda jazz for people with limited mobility.

juan
    Free Member

I am glad to hear that… What about a ford fusion?

donsimon
    Free Member

Good news for your Pops, nothing on the car front.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs to be higher up than a Jazz and nicer than a Fusion, but thanks! He likes his cars to be a bit pleasurable, not exaclty low end, hence the RR suggestion!

Yeti might be worth a look, pinches, thanks. Not sure if they’ll do once with a tasty enough spec though.

iainc

X5 ?? arguably and possibly demonstrably much better than the RR

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    X5 ?? arguably and possibly demonstrably much better than the RR

Two points;
    1 – X5 better than a Range Rover? Are you quite mad?
    2 – Are you suggesting my father could be the sort of chap who drives a BMW? What exactly are you saying about him, eh? EH? EH?

😉

Merlinman

Great news about your dad from someone with recent personal experience.

The Yeti outshines the Tiguan in just about every department and in Elegance trim comes with everything as standard which is extra on the VW/Audi – costs around £5k less too 😉

Ask JC!

Pics of mine

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hummer.

iainc

CFH – LOL 😆

surely even you must admit some of the new X5’s are rather tasty ??

donsimon
    Free Member

The Yeti outshines the Tiguan in just about every department

Except the badge. 🙄

Merlinman

Badge Snob 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

,Good news but I am afraid I can only give out my std advice re. cars…mk1 MX5.

I think there should be a lot of good advice re. high horses on here 😉

PeteG55
    Free Member

surely even you must admit some of the new X5’s are rather tasty ??

Good grief no! Next you’ll be telling me the X6 is rather nice too! X5/6, Q7 and Cayenne are archetypal Chelsea tractors. Nothing classy about any of them.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Auntie has a Vauxhaull Meriva becuase the seats are higher up. Now I dunno about how her mobility compares to Flash Sr but it’s a thought. Of course it’d have to be a bit snazzier than a Vauxhall 🙂

Out of all those cars I like the Tig or the Freelander the best.

What about that new RR Evoque? Is it out yet? Supposed to be very efficient.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My folks drive a Toyota RAV4 for the same reason that it is easier to get into and out of. They have had three of them so far and have been very happy with them and the servicing is really good too.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just bought a Freelander 2 – seems a great car for what I need it for (actually driving it up/down rocky rutted tracks). Wouldn’t dream of having one in the UK though.

Not sure it’s of much help, but aren’t there plenty of higher, smaller cars these days?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Volvo XC50/70/90 etc??

AlasdairMc

I drive a Merc B Class, it’s not one that you have to step down into but the driving position feels better than it really should – quite a flat position despite being elevated.

infidel
    Free Member

I looked at the Tiguan when it first cane out and IIRC the 2 engine options are somewhat gutless. Mates dad has the new freelander and loves it.
    Infiniti fx35? Not sure if it’s easily available in the UK?

Edit: fx37 in the uk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Apparently the Q5 is a pretty firm ride – not everyone’s cup if tea in that sort of car. The Volvo is meant to be the best in that class at the mo’

lodious
    Free Member

Good news about your dad CFH. My Mrs has a Tiguan, it’s OK. We wanted a Yeti, but the waiting list was to long. She got a base model really cheap new from a dealer. I can’t say the build quality feels that good, but it was absolutely fantastic in the snow, and it’s a nice relaxing drive. It’s good on fuel (mid 40’s) and VW did a £300 service package for 3 years, which was money well spent.

My Mrs didn’t want anything big, and she finds it really good to drive.

djglover
    Free Member

Pimp a yeti

Kevevs
    Free Member

lodious, you’ve got me, where do I sign up?. I’m totally persuaded. it’s so thoughtful of you.

bobmac892

Subaru Forrester Diesel. My dad has mobility issues and loves his v-plate skooby as it’s the perfect height for him to swivel round and stand straight up from the seat. He hates the poor fuel economy of the old 2lt boxer engine and having looked at most of the above suggestions, he takes soooooo long to put his hand on his wallet and buy anything bigger than a packet of butteries, he’s settled on the new Subaru Forrester because…..Ta dah – he can swivel round and stand up straight from the seat. Dad’s eh?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can get nice Vauxhall Mariva’s or Ford Fusions quite cheap from dealers second hand, or if they are a bit on the expensive side for you, what about a Suzuki Jimmy, raised off the ground relatively compact, good value for money. 🙂

Failing that and they still want to splash the cash, I think the Volvo XC60 is a nice 4×4 ish car without making you look like too much of a c@ck.

Oh plus another vote for Honda Jazz. One of my work colleagues husbands unfortunately died of cancer last year. She used to have a 2 seater Jag, which she sold when he became ill. They looked at Range Rovers etc etc but decided on the Jazz as it was very good for what they needed. Even after her husband has passed away she went looking again but has stayed with the Jazz as its a much easier car to get on with every day.

cb

Look at WHat Car this month – they review the Landy, Q5 and Volvo

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Scooby Forester Turbo – I had one for a few weeks. Good for the hip height entry. Bad for fuel consumption. Good for straight line acceleration. Bad for cornering. Good for Q car stealth. Sold mine after a close incident with power on understeer and a truck

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Great advice, thanks all! Will look at teh Volvo V60 as well, as that might be a winner.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think a Freelander woudl be higher up than a Forrester, surely?

RustySpanner

Good news about your dad, chalk one up for humanity.

As to the car – comfy, good in winter, reliable, easy access, easy to drive, shockingly economical, plenty of space – only one choice really:

Non? 🙂

dogbert
    Free Member

Heard nothing but bad reviews of the Audi, personally the Tiguan or the freelander if it was my choice of your choices.

Other than that Have a look at the Japanese 4×4’s (Honda CRV or Suzuki) Ok they’re a bit less luxurious than what you’ve mentioned but they are bulletproof (disclaimer – not actually bulletproof.

Failing that I would seriously look at the Volvo XC90…..that’s a car and a half

zokes
    Free Member

I think a Freelander woudl be higher up than a Forrester, surely?

Having test-driven both, I concur…

Scooby Forester Turbo – I had one for a few weeks. Good for the hip height entry. Bad for fuel consumption. Good for straight line acceleration. Bad for cornering. Good for Q car stealth. Sold mine after a close incident with power on understeer and a truck

This was exactly my experience on a test drive – that much power needs a much better chassis and suspension. Quite impressive in a straight line, but I can safely say the Freely cornered better!

Marge
    Free Member

Volvo XC60 is really quite excellent. (hopefully my next company car)
    The XC90 is a great car too but perhaps a bit big considering your comments…

ps Congrats to your pa

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot to say, good news about the old chap. If it were me, I’d go for a fully pimped out freelander 🙂

cp

Great news about the old man!

Most of the cars higher up in the thread you havering basically climb up into which is just as bad as too low.

Have a look at the Subaru legacy outback- really easy to get in and out of- you pretty much just slide onto the seat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Some smashing news and car advice combined….’ is closed to new replies.