Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Solutions for riding without a back-pack???
  • stanley

Can anybody give me some ideas here?

I’ve suffered discoid eczema for the last few years- Weird… I got to almost 40 without any skin problems, got stressed, and developed eczema :-/

Anyway, it is worse on my back, and any covering or build up of heat there makes it flare up a lot (Big red lumps that need steroids and take ages to calm down).

I’ve binned the bib-shorts and “technical fabrics”, finding that a cotton T-shirt is the least irritating. Next step is to try and lose the Camelbak.
    So short local rides are ok……… just take a water bottle and small under seat pack for tube, gas and multi-tool.
    But what for longer rides?
    How to carry more water, jacket, phone, food, keys, etc.
    Any ideas?

pedalhead
    Free Member

As a recent covert to road cycling, I’m learning just how much you can carry without needing a backpack. Amazing what you can fit into a few pockets on the back of a jersey. Problem is, if you’re definitely stuck with a cotton T, you’re unlikely to find any with pockets I suspect. Have you tried a sportswool top?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Old skool bumbag? seemed to work fine for everyone 15 years ago.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I only carry a rucksac in winter or for long rides out in the wilds.

Bottle(s) on frame – 2 is plenty as you can always refill if going out for longer than 5 or 6 hrs
    Multitool. stram links, tube, puncture kit, bits and bobs in a small seat pouch. food in jersey pockets, keys in pockets

I don’t carry a jacket, (apart from a very small waterproof n jersey pockets if rain forecast) a phone or anything else unneeded

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you need more space than a seat pack how about a bar or frame pack as well?

singlespeedstu

http://www.buggybags.co.uk/pages/BikeBagOptions.htm

Have a word with Jon and he’ll build you a suitable frame bag.

singletracksurfer

Wingnut Hyper 2.5 backpack sits very low, on the lower back only. Soooo much nicer in this hot weather.

Alternatively I use a couple of water bottles on the frame and seat pack (ortleib 1 litre for small rides or the big 3 litre ortlieb one for bigger rides with gilet, etc) for tools etc, and rear jersey pockets for trail food etc.

Arm & leg warmers, buff & gilet are all good if you don’t have much space. All fit in the larger saddle bag with tools too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bumbag/waist pack (North Face, Osprey or similar) or something like a Wingnut (if you can find one)?

Edit: did it really take me 9 minutes to find those links? I should amend to Wingnut +1. 🙂

t_i_m
    Free Member

I’ve got a small CamelBak designed for jogging (like a glorified bumbag with a small bladder) that I used for matathon training. This works ok on a bike. Feels a little wield on steep drops as it can ride up a bit but overall its fine.

poly
    Free Member

The ortileb large saddle bag will fit a huge amount of stuff. I used one on a torridon trip recently – and whilst I think that is probably a bit too bouncy for it really (it did need extra care to ensure properly closed so it couldn’t work open, and some of the contents got a bit shaken to pieces) – it survived the trip, and a “normal” MTB route should be fine for it. Large water bottle and refill is required (if close to civilisation tap water shouldn’t be too tricky to find, if rural then a stream (with purification if you are worried)). I find it amusing that so many people spend fortunes saving hundreds of grams from their bike, or months on weird diets to loose a few pounds and then pack 2kg more water than they need onto their back…

nedrapier

stanley,

have a spin through the luggage posts in here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sick-as-a-dog-so-show-me-you-bivi-bikepacking-adventure-racing-gear

I’d get a seatpost bag, or maybe a seatpost/bar bag combo if you’re going to be going up a lot of steep climbs and you want to balance the weight more towards the front.

If you go for a frame bag, that’ll get in the way of your water bottle/s

richmars

If you’ve got a spare bottle mount you can get bottles with large screw cap, into which you can fit a load of stuff.

stanley

Hey, thanks for all of these suggestions.

Smartwool? I’ve got a few Merino tops (Howies, Icebreaker) but they seem to make things worse:-(

Thinking that maybe I use a combination of ideas. I’d thought of a bumbag but dismissed them as I hadn’t realised how technical they now are! If I could get one to sit really low down, then maybe that would be good.

Possibly a small frame bag…. would certainly be good for over-nighters.

I only have one water bottle cage mount (Two bikes- both Turners) so need to make maximum use of that.
    What cages/bottles would people recommend? I’m using an old one lifted of a road bike, but it isn’t very secure.

And what bar bags? I’m assuming that a roll-bag is best?

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can clamp on bottle mounts as well

sweepy
    Free Member

I have a north face lumbar pack, 2 bottle pockets plus around 5 litres of cargo space. Its easily enough for most rides, and no sweaty back.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Possibly a small frame bag

have a look (on ebay) for jandd quite cheap and universal. nbot massive but good enough for a jacket/ few bars etc.

singletracksurfer
    toys19
    Free Member

I have a wingnut rucksack and it is indeed good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Solutions for riding without a back-pack???’ is closed to new replies.