Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Solo ride in Cyprus
  • jkomo

So I’ve got a couple of days free, during a trip to Cyprus for a family wedding. The plan is to stay in Troodos or Platres for a couple of nights, hire a bike, and do a couple of big loops, over a day and a half.
    There are some good routes available to download, but I’d really like some recommendations, from those who have done it first hand. I’m guessing I’ll be on a basic hard tail, so mainly xc, track, trail and road.
    Mountain bike Cyprus are all booked up btw.
    Also wondering whether I need to take a massive amount of water, or are there plenty of shops and cafés dotted around.
    Has anyone rented from a hotel in the area, I’ve emailed a couple trying to find out the exact type of bike they have, but so far no reply.
    Thanks

jkomo

No one?

crapjumper
    Free Member

Look for stoddys . I think he lives there . I asked for advice on here about a trip in August to Cyprus and he gave me some good advice

crapjumper
    Free Member

YGM

jkomo

Got it cheers crapjumper

Furious

I’d be interested in any information on this. I’m staying in Pissouri in early August and wondering if I should take the bike for a couple of days riding. Any tips?

Mugboo

I did a ride with the boss of one of the companies a few years ago. We just followed the footpath that loops around Troodos from near the square. It’ll be interesting enough on a basic hardtail and you could always go round twice.

We also hiked up past some waterfalls above Platres and walked back down a different path that started near the presidents summer house that looked like a fun descent and it wasn’t hard to find our way back to Platres.

We stayed at a B&B that was owned by the bloke who has The Village restaurant in Platres, I’d reccommend it if you need digs.

bigmick25
    Free Member

Speak to these guys below they sorted me out with a hire bike and had GPS routes etc and were cool people to deal with,they had a full range of Scott bikes FS and HT (I hired a HT).
    Hydration is an issue,even at the height of troodos in the summer its HOT, I was taking two bottles in cages and a 3L hydration pack with me for 3 hours riding.
    I spent 2 weeks exploring all over the troodos mountain area and found some great trails.

http://www.bikincyprusadventures.com/en/

Furious

Thanks guys

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can ask a mate of mine, he lived there for a few years and did a fair amount of biking

jkomo

In Nicosia now. Heading up mountains tomorrow. Will report back.

jkomo

So, did the 35mile circular route from Platres, basically going around mount Olympus:
    http://www.platra.com.cy/troodos_cycling_routes/

Had a garmin loaded with quite s good map, but it was not necessary, as the route is well signposted. If anything it was more confusing following the Garmin rather than looking for the signs.
    The terrain was like fire roads in the UK: very loose, but with lots of big stones. The big climbs (4400ft in total) were on road, which were super quiet, and very smooth.
    Luckily the bike I used was my cousins short travel hard tail with discs and skinny yet knobbly tyres, which was the perfect compromise. Had a couple of pinch flats, and got through nearly 3 litres, as well as a lunch stop.

The route is stunning and worth a go mainly for the epic scenery and the training, it took me 4 hours pedalling but an extra hour or so for photos and lunch.

Next time I’d try to find a guided day out for some proper trails, or hire a road bike. It can get incredibly hot in summer though so early or late season might be best.

Be really careful on the roads as some of the descents are pretty hairy, especially when you get small stones and sand on the road from mini rock falls.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago with a mate who’s based at Episkopi. Aswell as local riding around the camp, we went up to Olympus to do the loop around and a couple of descents off the side

It helps when you can pull rank for an uplift…

Sadly its pre-strava for me, so I’ve no route details.

stoddys
    Free Member

im happy you enjoyed it!
    im a bit home sick now, based in essex, but off to BPW thursday.

stoddy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Solo ride in Cyprus’ is closed to new replies.