Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stove Thermometerists of STW…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

Picked up one of those Stovax flue pipe thermos. what temp do you aim for before reducing air to cruise along? Or do you burn in fluctuating cycles and reload once temps drop right off?

Ive rightly or wrongly been aiming for 480*F top of the optimum burning zone, then shut down the airwash to slow the burn doWn. Once it drops to 300 ill chuck some more logs on to get back to 480*F.

kcal

there are zones on it — although it also depends on where the there. is placed on the stove pipe.

440 tops for me (it’s a smallish stove) and throttle back to keep in the 300 – 400 range

Drac

I keep mine at around 200c seems to burn efficiently at that whilst producing enough heat.

footflaps

Normally keep ours quite high – on the border of overheating….

trail_rat
    Free Member

or a flue thermometer

assume you mean 200c drac.

i jsut keep mine between 3-500f and its happy dont get much shit out the flue at that. my parents slumber theres alot and we get ALOT of shit out of that.

al1982
    Free Member

ive got one of those stovax stovepipe thermometer as noted by Trail rat, ours generally sits around the 150c mark quite happily, haven’t had it over 200c as worried it get too hot 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive had mine round at the 700 mark on the odd occasion when i have not been paying attention or ive stocked it up , opened it up and been doing something else out of the room to find it roaring away:s – shut it all down quick and lift off the eco fan as i dont want to fack the semiconductor.

Drac

assume you mean 200c drac.

Well that’s what I said.

footflaps

ive had mine round at the 700 mark on the odd occasion when i have not been paying attention

Happens quite a lot here, I often start it will pallet wood, which burns like shit and easily gets it over heating if you don’t watch it….

trail_rat
    Free Member

so you did :d my eyes missed that small c.

ourmaninthenorth

my stove seems happy at 150 celsius on softwood, with hardwood pushing it up.

TBH, we just run it with the vents wide open. I suspect it needs a sweep this summer to get it more efficient for next winter.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Tis only a 4.9kw Stockton 5, perhaps i’m running it too high at 480f / 250c.

I was reading 500*F is optimum for burning off creosote and lots of stove forums saying hotter is better.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

The guys that run it at 300f / 150c what sort of condition is the flue in when having the yearly sweep?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@al1982 haven’t had it over 200c as worried it get too hot

what stove have you got?

spooky_b329

My Firefox 5 seems to sit happily at 150-175c, rarely hits 200c.

Ourmaninthenorth, if I leave the vents open on mine it will struggle to get above 150c and has a big appetite for fuel, I think the quantity of cold air entering the stove results in the heat going up the chimney rather than heating the stove.

Closing down the bottom vent gradually to about 80% shut and the airwash/top vent about 25% shut results in the temp quickly climbing to 175c and the flames slow down to a hot and lazy burn as the the wood gas starts to burn.

My first few weeks with the stove were a little bit concerning as I couldn’t get a decent amount of heat out of it until I realised a roaring fire does not mean its working efficiently.

footflaps

If I opened all the vents on ours (Stockton 5), once burning, it would easily hit 400C+ in a few minutes!

ononeorange

Need to run ours with both vents open otherwise it goes out as wood is damp. Can’t seem to get a properly dried load!

samuri
    Free Member

We have the stovax thermo trail_rat posted a picture of. We keep the heat in the top bit.

Sometimes we’ll get some properly dried hardwood in there going and it’ll go into the right hand segment. Someone with a titanium rod needs to poke the vents closed at that point.

Trouble is, the last load of wood we got (we ran out of wood so had to buy some), wasn’t dried properly so it burns cool, we’ll need to give the flue a good clean in summer.

spooky_b329

Once I’ve shut the air down and the stove is producing some real heat, if I open everything up the temp will rise over 200c, but if I leave everything open from lighting, it doesn’t really matter what I do, all the heat will just roar up the chimney. The flue thermometer will spike due to the flames going up the flue but the stove itself will be much cooler.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I find it much as spooky describes. I let it burn fast with the vents open until all the wood is black, then close it down to a lazy flame. It is only during the latter that the temp climbs above 200c, rarely exceeding 250c. This is using a stovetop thermometer on the top front, rather than a stovepipe thermometer, so doesn’t have the huge fluctuations a stovepipe one will see. Once the temp drops to around 150c I put more wood on, and as before, top vent wide open until the wood is black then almost close it to let the heat build. I’ve had it swept twice now, once a year, with less than a mugful of soot each time.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Or do you burn in fluctuating cycles and reload once temps drop right off?

On wood, this.

sandwicheater

Do they just glue to the flue or do you need to have a new flue fitted?

Drac

They’re magnetic.

sandwicheater

Ordered, been meaning to get one for ages.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Magnetic with a retention wire

I find my new stove to e a much more consistant level of burn than my previous stove which would yoyo.

Let the flue get up to temperature- close it right in and the residual venting means the stove ticks over at 300f.

The old stove was a pain in arse as you guessed where to set it so t didnt go too far down or up.

mrchrispy

Aldi were knocking these out for 50p a few months ago.
    I bought a few and gave them to all my middle class friends 🙂

footflaps

Need to run ours with both vents open otherwise it goes out as wood is damp. Can’t seem to get a properly dried load!

Must be related to wood type, we’ve been burning Sycamore which I felled last Feb and it’s just been piled up without cover in the garden. Started burning it in October last year after only 6 months air drying. Mind you Cambridge is pretty dry for the UK….

al1982
    Free Member

@cruzcampo what stove have you got?

we’ve got a mendip Churchill 5

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stove Thermometerists of STW…’ is closed to new replies.