• This topic has 14 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by willgluck-spam.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Solar panels on shed
  • akira

Considering fitting solar panels on shed roof to power a light and have a battery for a socket.
    Anyone done this and got any advice.
    Thinking it would be easier and cheaper than getting power from the house.

eth3er
    Free Member

How big a panel? How good a battery? How much will this all cost vs an Electrician to wire this [socket/light/supply/board]?

stumpy01

What would the ‘socket’ be used for? Portable radio or 3kw heater?

I would have though solar would be quite an expensive solution.
    How about a leisure battery running some LED lighting that you recharge perhaps once/month?

petey74
    Free Member

Errr… assuming your shed is “average” size you’re not going to fit many solar panels on top, therefore limiting the amount of energy produced (not to mention we don’t get much sun over here) and the whole idea of getting solar panels doesn’t seem so cost-effective any more. Or am I wrong?

totalshell

put an extension cable to it.. much cheaper and cheaper to run..

camo16
    Free Member

Please don’t listen to all of this practical advice. You’re about to install a solar panel on a shed – and for that I applaud you.

Pamper your shed. Pimp it up. Make it your pine ‘ho, bro. That’s what us British males do.

geoffj
    RustyMac

akira

I can only presume you are trying to make plans for a modest supply of electricity from a solar panel on the shed.

I have read stuff on the net about home brew systems using a panel to charge a 12V or multiple 12V car batteries (in some cases free ones from the scrappy or your local motor faactors) that then go on to power 12v LED lights and a small stereo. Unfortunaely i do not have the links on my work PC.

I would really think you would struggle to set up a system to power any high drain electrical items.

I have preiously though of doing this but have never had the time or money to do it properly – not that it is necisserily going to cost alot but i am still in the process of decorating my flat and my man cave has been put on the back burner till i get the living room sorted.

trb
    Free Member

Sounds like my shed.

12V trickle charger from maplins, old car battery. Couple of 12v lights from Go outdoors, old car radio, job’s a good ‘un.

If you need instructions & links to do that I’d question your ability to tie your own shoes 😉

I only have to go indoors for more tea & a wee

RustyMac

trb

you need to invest in a camping stove and a tree 🙂

akira

Not really needing much power, lights for a bit of bike fettling when it gets dark and maybe running a radio every now and again.
    All seems simple enough after doing a teeny bit of research, cheers for the positive replies and shame on you to the negative people, you shall not be receiving an invite to my midnight shed parties! 😉
    trb, how much light time do you get on average?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

200w power pack from maplin – 35 quid
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/200w-portable-power-pack-225153

Q)
    Can I charge this unit using a solar briefcase?
    A)
    Yes the product does support that.

Solar briefcase – 10 quid
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/12w-2w-solar-briefcase-348075

i’ve no idea if this will work nor if it will provide enough power. I guess you could always carry the power pack in a charge it up if the solar panel doesn’t work too well in winter when you need the power more and there is less sunlight.

supertramp
    Free Member

TRB – you go indoors for a wee? what’s wrong with the rest of the garden?

OP – I wouldn’t bother with solar stuff, just run an extension lead to the house. My shed has been running like that for 11 years!

nixie

I wonder how many of those solar arrays + leisure batteries you’d need to run an electric heater for 1 hour a day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Solar panels on shed’ is closed to new replies.