Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Software for planning GPS routes
  • jonba
    Free Member

I’m hovering over the buy it now button on a garmin edge 800.

What is the best software to help plan routes? I’ve just looked at garmin connect and the detail is poor. I’ll have 1:50k maps on the unit so I want to be able to plan in at least that much detail.

Will mix road, off road and maybe a bit of walking.

There seem to be loads available but if I’m going to put the effort in to planning routes I don’t want to switch in a few months because I’ve picked a dud. With that in mind I would like to be able to export the gps route so I can save it on my own computer.

Strava, map my ride, garmin basecamp, justgoride, bike route toaster, endomondo?

Which is easiest to use, has a good selection of pre made routes, can upload and download gps routes and is easily compatable with a garmin?

Ideally I’d like to share (through facebook) with friends so we can swap routes (and tails of “bigringriding”).

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I use Tracklogs 1:50,000.

Also use Garmin and MapMyRun/Ride from time to time but the detail is not as good as the OS mapping on Tracklogs when plotting off road routes.

druidh
    Free Member

If you have the 1:50k maps on the 800, then you can access them in Basecamp when the unit is connected. I’ve played around with other sites like bikeroutetoaster, mapmyride etc, but now I just use Basecamp all the time.

As for “pre-made” routes, you can import any GPX file.

londonpride
    Free Member

I have a 705 and think its awesome, once you know what you are doing. It can be a bit complex and rapid learning curve. Check out Frank Kinklan’s site for great tutorials on all Garmins. For off road you basically want gpx and dont follow a course….there’s a difference between routes and courses. Also make sure you dont have ‘Follow Road’ ticked on the unit.

You cant export Strava without using another web based programme. Do a google search strava to gpx

I find bikehike the best if planning. Has a OS map and google maps on it. Can also export as gpxx which is apparently more accurate than gpx.

Overall though once you have mastered how the unit works you’ll be fine and love it

doodlebug
    Free Member

For on the road, i find “Biketoaster” super simple to use and perfect for Garmin 800, it’s never let me down yet.

Drac

OS very own getamap site will allow you to plan routes.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Can you download the planned route to an android phone app like viewranger for example?

nickswolves
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

An update for anyone looking for a good OS map route planner, I followed Drac’s advice above and works a treat. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Software for planning GPS routes’ is closed to new replies.