Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Softshell vs Waterproof for trail riding
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

I currently ride in base layer/long sleeve jersey but lack any kind of decent waterproof and am looking to invest in a new outer layer which will hopefully keep me dry through the next year of (no doubt wet) riding in Wales. I do have a Pakajak for summer showers but it’s not very good for the other 3 seasons.

Just curious what you all recommend for trail riding in the wet outside of summer. I tried on Altura Mayhem today but didnt’ like the cut. Am I better off buying something like a Gore Phantom?

cinnamon_girl

Softshell will repel rain for a good few hours ime, Gore for me. I wouldn’t want to ride in a waterproof unless it was heavy rain plus if you have a wipeout then there’s a good chance of tearing the jacket.

ton

northface apex softshell here.
    very ery warm, ok for pootling about, but if i was proper trailriding it would be far too warm.
    keeps you warm when wet through too.

Bazz

Despite cycling to work and back all through the year i didn’t once wear my Altura waterproof in 2012 and only once the year before, on the other hand i practicaly live in my cheap Aldi soft shell from October until the spring kicks in. These days i’ll only wear a proper waterproof if it’s cold and proper chucking it down at the same time, horrible sweaty things.

djglover
    Free Member

Softshell is best for winter, tuck a mega light waterproof in pocket for summer though.

Haven’t used my heavy goretex jacket in a good few years

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Softshells can be washed and washed and just keep working – cos they were never designed to bead water like a proper waterproof.

I’ve always found that washing a waterproof wrecks the DWR coating, no matter how carefully you wash it with the right stuff. It always needs reproofing and is just never quite as good as it was when new.

Unless its torrential heavy rain, a softshell will keep you warm and dryish and be way more durable. I’ve had 4 years and still going out of one of my Aldi soft shells. I’m only thinking of binning it as its got a bit whiffy rather than any great wear.

I find softshells with windproof body/chest but non-windproof arms are about right for all but the current cold snap and sunny summer days. Fully windproof soft shells are super super warm.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all, softshell it is then. Is the Gore Phantom more suited to road riding? It looks it from the style. Any other recommendations?

tmb467
    Free Member

+1 for softshell

Go outdoors usually have a sale on. Got mine from there (only an own brand North Ridge but really windproof)

That with a merino devold base layer is well warm. Stick a breathable micro fleece on for this weather and its well cosy / light / breathable

Not going back to a boil in the bag waterproof unless its pissing down. Tore my decent berghaus one on an off at Morzine so sticking with / to cheap softshells

dadster21
    Free Member

Another for Softshell – used to ride waterproofs and generally ended as wet on the inside as I was on the outside. Gore Softshell has been the best so far. Ridden in the snow/sub zero/rain/wind and all good. Only need a baselayer underneath if you are pushing it.

cinnamon_girl

Check here, there’s 20% off:

http://www.tgstore.eu/mens-cycling-aw12-jackets-c-256_541_527_528.html

Scroll down for cheaper jackets:

http://www.tgstore.eu/outlet-gore-bike-wear-offers-c-256_492_493_495.html

I would say your biggest decision will be how warm you want it to be. Mine is fleece-lined but I do get cold.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m much prefer softshell to l/s jersey + waterproof shell. Gore Phantom is an MTB cut jacket and works fine although as with anything using DWR for water repellency you need to be careful how you wash it and it will need reproofing regularly.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Is the Gore Phantom comfort or slim fit? Wiggle seem to think it’s slim:

Wiggle

Whilst Gore themselves say its comfort:

Gore

?

cinnamon_girl

Check out here for good reductions, Scott clothing is good quality:

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/

shortcut

I am loving my Endura Convert softshell. Sleeves zip off to a proper gilet and its been nice and warm the last couple of weeks.

nickc

Phantoms are designed to be worn just by themselves, so are cut like a road jersey. If you want to wear base layers under them, get a ledger size, they’re pretty close cut especially under the arms.

Personally I don’t mind being wet or cold, but wet and cold is where you’ll suffer, so make the decision about which one is more important to you and swing towards that. I’ve found for me the endura windchill is best compromise between warmth and waterproof ness

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I find softshells tend to work better (warmer and less draughty) if they’re a snugger fit. And less to snag on branches etc.

localhero94
    Free Member

Another vote for softshell. I’ve an endura event waterproof that I hardly ever wear, but a gore phantom that I wear practically every ride over autumn/winter/spring.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have used an Endura Convert softshell for a few months.

Find them less sweaty and seem to not get ripped on brambles as easily.
    Standard fully water proof hardshells are sweaty and get ripped after a few rides.Will be softshell for me for now on

ryanctj
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ve gone for a Gore Phantom and will let you know how I get on with it.

juan
    Free Member

Humm now the convert jacket look very interesting… Specialy in apple green

roverpig

Paramo. Best of both worlds as long as it’s cold enough and/or you don’t run too hot.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Softshell vs Waterproof for trail riding’ is closed to new replies.