Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sobriety
  • Merak

Not a resolution, more of a lifestyle choice. I’ve seen my weight start to move up for the first time in my life. I was 75kg for many years but its crept up slowly but surely over the last year..

I’ve been having a couple of cans most/every night. I’m not getting blotto but my Mrs gives me as look when I return from the fridge with another. Im not being dramatic but I realised its becoming habitual.

Hard to accept thats the case but there you go.

Just wondered if I’m in the minority, drinking like that I mean, and if anyone else is abstaining?

highclimber
    Free Member

I’ve been having a couple of cans most/every night

I don’t buy packs of beer for that reason.
    I prefer having a bottle or two of a good ale every so often as a treat.

Merak

Aye,mibbes that’s the way to go.

I’m going to pass over for a while though. Figure it won’t do me any harm. Save me a few quid too.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

A route that’s all to slippery to slide down.

I’ve no idea who you are or where you’re at but my immediate thought is to suggest that carrying out a lifestyle audit might be a good idea. Identify what you’re happy with, what you’re not happy with and what you want to work on.

Something that really helped me in a similar situation was setting a target (completing a rehab course to enable me to run again) and then considering whether or not what I was doing was helping me to achieve that aim. In my case I successfully argued with myself that a few drinks with friends was a beneficial part of relaxing and recovering at the end of a week. A few drinks alone every night was, for me, an indicator that I had other problems to address.

All the best to you and hope you come to terms with whatever questions you’re currently asking yourself.

TheFlyingOx

I know most folk turn their nose up at it, but try non-alcoholic beer.
    I was drinking Becks Blue for the entire 6 weeks I was waiting for Mrs Flying Ox to tell me warm the car up and get the baby bag ready, and it’s actually not that bad. Since Fledgling Ox was born, I’ve been quite happy supping one of those rather than the usual selection of Morrison’s finest bottled bitters. Bonus: they’re much cheaper than actual booze.

busydog
    Free Member

I just up and quit a little over 2 months ago—missed it at first, but not so much anymore.
    I just found myself having a bit here a bit there,starting at the end of the day (work at home)—Jack Daniels was my choice..and the frequency and amount was insiduously creeping up. One day I realized I just wasn’t really enjoying it—doing it more as a habit.
    Certainly sleep better.
    Not saying I won’t ever drink again, but nothing urging me to do so

Haze

That Becks Blue isn’t too bad, had a couple NYE (my turn to drive).

May well cut down once the Christmas presents are all finished, at least Monday to Thursday anyway.

Spoil myself with one or two quality bottles on a weekend.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just over the Christmas period I have gotten into the habit of drinking my bottles of Single Malt, had three bottles finished two and also has some ales and wine over the festive period and my belly is bulging so time to get out on the bikes more.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Been there. Frightening how the capacity for alcohol grows.

Usually had 3-4 cans a night, quite happy for 5-6 pints midweek in the pub. Couple of bottles of plonk at the weekend.

Quit drinking for a month and the first week was one of the toughest things I’ve done.

I now avoid alcohol in the week, rarely have more than 2 pints at a time. Sleep better, am 20 kilos lighter, but now addicted to Tea. Having given up coffee.

Turns out I may have an addictive personality…..

sadmadalan

I will admit that over Christmas my consumption beer, wine and spirits has gone up! Which may account for some of the weight gain, although I suspect the extra food I stuffed down was as damaging.

Normally I try to limit drinking to Fri and Sat evenings. However rugby training on a Thursday (I coach) means more beer. My plan for this year is to return to only drinking on a couple of nights per week. If I drink on a Thursday – then one of Fri/Sat must be dropped.

Ironically enough I don’t tend to drink too much – some evenings I am such a lightweight that I struggle to finish a single bottle of beer.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I like drinking and like others have said it easy to see the amount and frequency increase .I’ve done the DRYATHLON [ staying off booze for the whole of January and giving the amount I would have spent to cancer charity ]. Hopefully by the time I’ve **** my body up they will have found a cure witht he money I send

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m on the wagon for January and then big changes after that. Used to buy in packs, not any more unless for a party or the like. Looking to change habits and lose a few pounds of excess weight into the bargain.

binners

I’ve been getting far too casual about my drinking too, of late. Good few beers sat in front of the telly most evenings. The new rule is just not to drink at home. So we’ll still nip out for a few pints with friends a couple of times a week, but just reign it in a bit. I’m hoping to get slightly less portly, and slightly better off

colournoise

Was in a similar situation. Just got into the habit of drinking every night. Health blip in May saw me quit completely for a couple of months (gave up caffeine too at the same time). Felt a bit odd for a few days but easy after that. Since the summer I’ve relented a bit and had a couple of drinks on a Saturday night each week but that’s been it. Christmas period has been a bit different, but back to the old (new) routine now.

Sleeping better, feeling generally ‘sharper’ and (until Christmas etc.) had been steadily losing a bit of blubber.

Not sure how typical I am, but I just decided ‘I don’t do that any more’ – the health thing helped to give me a kick, but it sounds like you’ve got to that point yourself.

matttromans
    Free Member

I’ll 2nd or 3rd the Becks Blues – get them real cold, and a slice of lime! Guilt free pleasure! I’ve also heard (not sure how reliable) that they have a fraction of the calories compared to ‘real’ beer, and they’re cheaper – everyone’s a winner!

mogrim

Similar situation, every night 3+ cans, maybe a bit of wine – always seems to happen at Christmas 🙄

Plan is to stop for most of January, there are a couple of meals where I’ll have a few but that’s it. Post January it’ll be back to weekends only.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I once opted not to drink for a while after slippinginto a similar routine with red wine (bottle every other day), found it quite easy, and when I stopped not drinking I’ve not gotten ‘drunk’ much since, maybe once or twice a year, so in that way it made a nice bookend to finishing uni and startgin a propper job as it got out of the going out on a Saturday night habit too.

peterfile
    Free Member

I normally have a bottle of nice beer or a glass of wine every evening. It’s rare that I’ll got out boozing though.

Perhaps it’s not healthy to drink every evening, but then part of me thinks that since I’m only drinking around 14-20 units a week, it can’t be that bad. Plus, I really enjoy having a glass of wine once I’m settled down for the evening.

Everything in moderation and all that. I enjoy it, I don’t overdo it, so from my perspective there isn’t a issue. That said, if the health benefits of stopping drinking a nightly glass of wine outweighed the pleasure I get, then i’d happily stop 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh my little vice..

See I like a small snifter in an evening, be it a small whiskey or schnaps, something strong but small, but not beer, not in the week but I’ll have a “real Ale” if I find a Pub that brews them at the weekend.

But damn that Xmas and damn MrsBouy for dragging me into the world of cocktails.. flaming things are sooo scrummy!

Over the Xmas period we must have been out cocktail drinking ohhhh nearly every night 8O, got to the point of buying lots of cocktail mixers and liguors and strong spirits.. then mixing/creating our own concotions.. 😳 It’s all got a bit much and feeling a bit fat TBH, in fact I put on a shirt last night that I could get into in the (cough) Summer and damn if the thing didn’t fit.. I got sooo frustrated I ate half a box of Pringles.. 😆

No “drink” in the week from now on, beer/cocktails ok at the weekend only and limit to two per day max. (thankfully I can’t stomach any more than two beers anyhoos)

Cougar

Just got into the habit of drinking every night

It’s very, very easy to do. I started having a drink whilst cooking of an evening, which leads to “oh, that’s nice, I’ll just have one more” then after three all self control goes out of the window and I’ll quietly polish off half a bottle of spirits. Add to that various stresses of daily life, loved ones being ill and such, and you’re suddenly drinking too much, habitually.

I’ve mostly knocked it on the head now, as others have said it got to a point where I thought, “I just can’t sustain this” and I was concerned that I was on a slippery slope. Paying a large amount of money to essentially ruin your body. I do still have a drink in the kitchen sometimes, but it’s occasionally and just one, rather than every night and half a dozen.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I’m doing Dryathlon. Don’t drink much now due to health issues, but I used to be a heavy drinker, got drunk a lot in my twenties.

Just don’t really want to do it anymore, don’t want the negative consequences, emotional, physical, or otherwise. I prefer staying off it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJdgSRzv8wE[/video]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sobriety’ is closed to new replies.