Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So, Windows 10, what's the verdict?
  • IHN

I’m getting the upgrade option, should I go for it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Plenty of threads already have a search. Working well for me on 2 laptops and a self build desktop

footflaps

Personally I’m sticking with W7 until they prise it from my cold dead hands….

myopic
    Free Member

I had an issue with sending emails using Outlook, but after much grief, Mrs M found a solution. Apparently this is a known issue, but easily fixed

Bimbler
    Free Member

Upgraded 2 of my machines over the last couple of weeks, like it a lot, a more polished Win 7 with Win 8.1 bits.

Shame about the spying, which they’ve also bolted on to Win 7

rocketman
    Free Member

After a promising start it’s basically Windows 8 with fewer error messages

Default file associations are a PITA

If you don’t use your computer much the number of updates is astronomical

mudshark
    Free Member

Is there any reason to be wary of existing applications no longer working?

bencooper
    Free Member

Adobe CS2 and various other old things still run fine on this Surface3 with Win10.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For specific software or hardware better to Google that with the words windows 10 than sift through a list of stuff here.

the-muffin-man

I’m happy with it – upgraded 4 PCs now.

Matt24k
    Free Member

If you are happy with 7 or 8 I’d wait a bit longer unless you potentially want a load of grief before reverting back to 7 or 8.

aracer
    Free Member

Have they? Got any sources for that?

That is one of the things which is putting me off upgrading – or indeed using W10 on effectively new installs where I have the choice of that or W7. The other being that I’m not seeing any huge advantage – I’d hoped it might be faster booting, but in reality I’m not seeing that (though that may be simply that my install isn’t as well tweaked as the W7, which has been highly optimised for fast booting). There is a lot of hype over what is something which if it’s working perfectly should be pretty much invisible, with the only direct user interaction being boot speed.

I suppose at least there are no big reasons apart from the privacy one not to use W10 as it seems to work decently, but until W7 goes out of support I’m not seeing any disadvantage at all to continuing with that.

matt_outandabout

Work PC’s and laptops here – about 20 machines, plus my personal ones. I am not an IT bod, an amateur who works for a skint charity….

Old PC’s- much faster, resurrected them from Win8 or XP.
    Newer ones – no problems. A couple needed to (automatically) update some drivers over a few days.
    I have had mine crash twice since – it never crashed on Win 8.1…
    I have disabled some of the clever Cortana stuff, as it seems bloaty…
    It uninstalled our antivirus, malware and ccleaner on the last update.

I like, I am happy.

Bimbler
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Thanks – uninstalled – it appears the advantage of W7 is still that you can choose to uninstall such stuff (or not install in the first place – though I’m not paranoid enough not to do automatic updates).

Cougar

Just Like Windows 10, Windows 7 and 8 Also Spy on You – Here’s How to Stop Them

Have you got any less scaremongering sources for that? Even the source it links to uses vague phrases, “data is sent to Microsoft about various activities” for instance. It’s practically clickbait.

The key here is, what data? ZOMG MICROSOFT IS SPYING ON YOU!!1! generates plenty of advertising revenue, but there’s a gulf between what that statement implies and something like sending home anonymous crash data (for instance). And it’s hardly new; how many times have you installed an application where it’s asked if it can send home usage statistics, virus samples or crash dumps? MS have been doing this (and we’ve broadly been agreeing to it) since XP days.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like it, work in IT support but I’m not a Techie myself – we are early adopters of things, simply because we need to know how it all works before our clients start having problems.

Win10 seemed a lot more finished when it was launch than 8, NVIDA issues aside, but I wouldn’t expect a huge leap from 8. In my personal opinion whilst they call it 10 and yes it’s a shiny new things – it could be more honestly described as 7.5 for 99% of users – it takes a lot of nice touches of 8 and slaps them on a more usual / 7 esq looking interface – and thank the lord for a small start menu rather than a full page one as this seemed to make some people lose their fragile minds.

In terms of stability it’s pretty good, but still subject to large updates – only yesterday my PC decided to download a massive update that needed a 90 min install/restart to work, I happened to be in a meeting when it asked whether I wanted to wait or not and missed it – when I got back I was twiddling my thumbs in looking for things to do in work – that’s the sort of thing that really pisses our clients – when you’ve got 90 people sat in an office all doing nothing for 90 mins… well “do the math” as the yanks say – even if they’re on minimum wage (which they’re certainly not) it’s the fat end of a grand in wasted wages, in total losses it could be 4, 5 even 10 times that.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Have you got any less scaremongering sources for that? Even the source it links to uses vague phrases, “data is sent to Microsoft about various activities” for instance. It’s practically clickbait.

Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches

spacey

I tried it and went back to Win 7. Main complaint was that I couldn’t get it to play a DVD. All of the work arounds I searched for didn’t work so I went back as that was a simple way to fix it. This may be an odd complaint but I can’t understand why they would remove this function, we use the PC hooked up to the TV as our DVD player so it’s pretty crucial for me.

Cougar

Here, read this.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2981947/microsoft-windows/the-truth-about-windows-7-and-81-spy-patches-kb-3068708-3022345-3075249-and-3080149.html

Straight from Microsoft,

if the customer receives updates KB3068708, KB3022345, KB3075249, and/or KB3080149, but chooses not to participate in the Windows [Customer Experience Improvement Program], the related Windows telemetry will not be sent to Microsoft.

Sorry about your share prices, Bacofoil.

Cougar

Microsoft backports data slurp to Windows 7 and 8 via patches

From that link, “This data can include how long you use apps, and which features you use the most, snapshots of memory to investigate crashes, and so on.” Terrifying stuff.

Main complaint was that I couldn’t get it to play a DVD.

Did you try installing a DVD player? I can’t think of any reason offhand why VLC (for example) wouldn’t work just as well on Windows 10 as it has on any other version.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There is a lot of hype over what is something which if it’s working perfectly should be pretty much invisible, with the only direct user interaction being boot speed.

This pretty much is my experience.

Day 1 – got a virus in 5 minutes flat, re-installed from the USB stick I’d made and all was fine.
    Day 2 – Massive update (knew this was coming)
    Day 3 – No problems since, occasional updates but nothing that forces a restart, in fact I had one pending for weeks as I never properly shut down the laptop it just went to sleep.

I don’t use a huge amount of programs though, mostly used for the usual office based stuff and a few bits and bobs like ACDSee, Brewsmith etc.

brassneck

Hopped back into the Windows world from OS X (10 years now) with 10. Variety of reasons,mainly family related rather than technical, but can’t see myself going back any time soon. Essentially built a PC from junk (old i5 being disposed of by the company, 8Gb of RAM from a couple more systems, 180Gb boot SSD from the HW repair man for a bottle of wine, 2Tb HDD knocking about) which is running really rather well.

Cougar

That’s some serious junk you’ve got there!

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Tried it, I prefer 7 TBH

molgrips
    Free Member

Is this spying like the Google spying? We had threads on here about the sinister evil giant tracking where you’d been via your phone..

Then we had other threads saying ‘hey, Google Now is awesome, it tells me when to leave to arrive on time, it reminds me of things without even asking!’

😐

mudmonster
    Free Member

Had it until recently. Ran a kaspersky scan and when I woke up in the morning was greeted with “missing operating system “. Can’t do anything with is, there is a repair function that gets to 94% and fails.

brassneck

That’s some serious junk you’ve got there!

If it’s in the disposal room it counts as junk. Even if I nudged it in there 🙂

The base was quite old now though, M91p Lenovo that had gone for disposal.. think it’s maybe a first gen i5? Hunted down the 8Gb by pillaging another chassis. £45 for a passive GT730 card, plays WoW OK. Helps being long time colleagues of the disposers!
    Was quite fun putting the bits together, haven’t done it in years. Think the Mac Mini will be going on EBay as they still go for decent money.

Edukator
    Free Member

It uninstalled our antivirus, malware and ccleaner on the last update.

AVG survived but Malwarebytes and ccleaner vanished. This was a good thing in the case of Ccleaner as the old one couldn’t be updated and I failed to download and install a new version just before it disappeared. After the update the download installed fine.

After the monster update it accepts whatever programme I assign to open things which means things open with VLC or Windows media player now.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

#NumptyEdit.

footflaps

The way I see it is W7 does everything I want exactly as I’m used to, so there is no reason to upgrade.

ratherbeintobago

The base was quite old now though, M91p Lenovo that had gone for disposal.. think it’s maybe a first gen i5? Hunted down the 8Gb by pillaging another chassis.

The computer on my desk is some elderly HP which has “Pentium Inside’ and “Designed for Windows XP’ stickers on it, and which runs (sloooowwwwlly which I suspect is because our network isn’t fast enough) a Win 7 thin client. Cutting edge stuff, this.

papamountain
    Free Member

I loved W7. Built a new machine, skylake 6700k, gtx 980ti, m.2 hard drive etc and fresh install of W10.
    It’s not too bad so far. Main reason with not sticking with W7 was DX12. No DX12 for W7 and it’s supposed to give 10-15% performance increase with gaming.

Turned off as much spying stuff as I could and only have a local account, not a MS one which annoyingly you need for the inbuilt skype stuff. Just install the standalone skype instead.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So, Windows 10, what's the verdict?’ is closed to new replies.