• This topic has 62 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • so, who's watching Grand Designs?
  • br
    Free Member

You could have a really nice house somewhere that doesnt flood for £1.2M.

Like this?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47640185.html/svr/1708;jsessionid=9F8053A24AE8E6ADDB850AAB2EA9E3B4

Good for GT and Inners plus you can ride out of the back garden over to Yair 🙂

polarisandy
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pGfPWK]Untitled[/url] by polarisandy, on Flickr

Kevin McCloud meets his hero and gets an autograph.

Funny seeing him doorstepped by a ten year old.

sandwicheater

Bloody lucky farmer who rented out the field. Worked out at about £40,000 for him, nice!!

House did look stunning.

andyl
    Free Member

Farmer was laughing all the way to the bank.

Loved the zinc cladding.

Just watching the seaside homes program. The teletubby house was great. Bit small but perfect for his needs I guess.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

my guess is that it’s going straight on the market once they’ve lived in it for 6 months.

Maybe I am too cynical, but I think owner and architect are in business together. Fella stumped up the capital to build. Architect gets lots of new business, fella sells house for profit, and takes cut from Architect on future builds.

I was only mildly suspect until seeing the astro turf that had quite evidently been put down in a hurry to make it look good. You would be mad to pay for that and then turf itt after, but makes perfect business sense…

andyl
    Free Member

I thought the astro turf was so they still have a lawn after the garden floods every year.

CountZero

twinw4ll – Member
    Awesome, did think what would happen if the water in the tank froze, not likely but it would be in the back of my mind.

They did say the water was circulated by pump to prevent it stagnating, which would stop most freezing.

I was only mildly suspect until seeing the astro turf that had quite evidently been put down in a hurry to make it look good. You would be mad to pay for that and then turf itt after, but makes perfect business sense…

A lot of the house was still building site, it makes perfect sense to use some plastic grass just to cover up the muddy bits for the camera, and for sitting outside.
    Practically every house that appears on TV is set-dressed anyway; when my friend Caron’s hotel appeared on ‘A Place In The Country’ showing how Lardy Cakes are made, I barely recognised it, it was far too tidy!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yes countzero, i was paying attention 🙄

johndoh
    Free Member

House did look stunning.

It looked bloody horrible – a small box by the river. They spent the majority of their budget solving the issue of flooding (and it was a great solution to be fair) rather than having a nice property to live in.

vintagewino
    Free Member

won’t the tank bit fill up with gunge eventually (immediately?) after floods? won’t the basement be totally baltic in the winter being surrounded by cold water all the time?

johndoh
    Free Member

They pump the water out of the tank but I do agree – a big flood would surely fill it with silt and would the pump be able to cope?

I doubt that the water in the tank could ever freeze completely but if it did……

CRRAAAACCKKKKKKKK…..

nuke

A worthy one for grand designs imo…yes quite small but technically difficult and a logistical nightmare for materials/tools. Overall aesthetics were not what I’d want but I didn’t stump up the money so as long as the owners like, thats their business. I liked the couple which is a rare bonus. Hopefully more builds like that in the future

Do love the house in BR’s link…the garden grotto is fantastic

northernmatt

Just started reading this thread and got confused, then realised the one I watched last night was from 3 weeks ago.

johndoh
    Free Member

A worthy one for grand designs imo…yes quite small but technically difficult and a logistical nightmare for materials/tools.

Totally agree – a fascinating build but, for me, it was the end result that wasn’t *WOW!*. At least it wasn’t clad in wood…

LoCo
    Free Member

Good episode, liked the tech. first constractors was good value, looked nervous of the teleporter and then dropped the barge bits followed by flipped his barge 😆

P20
    johndoh
    Free Member

Wow. Still like that one.

MoreCashThanDash

Loved that water tower, just for the sheer halls of designing and building it.

Cost about £2.4m to buy and build iirc?

johndoh
    Free Member

Ouch. That must hurt.

And it shows that London prices aren’t on the meteoric rise that everyone keeps claiming. I wonder why no-one wants it?

Klunk
    Free Member

I wonder why no-one wants it?

location location location 😉

also on google maps it looks like some kind of military outpost in Kabul !

it’s also a different tower 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

still on the market is the fancy basement

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘so, who's watching Grand Designs?’ is closed to new replies.