Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So what's the thinking behind………
  • bigsi
    Free Member

mismatched travel.

Just watched the Ragley vid on the front page & am wondering what the benefit of doing this is.

I can see it will raise the front end up & give greater pedalling efficiency but is there anything else it will do?

Is it just a fad?

What do the STW masses think?

RoterStern
    Free Member

When you think about it all hardtails have ‘mismatched travel’

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s more widespread than you think, a lot of bikes have mismatched travel. My own Wolf Ridge has 140mm at the back but will happily run with a 160mm fork.

The main factor is the suspension setup itself, not how much travel is available IMHO.

So long as the bike feels “right” then I’m quite relaxed about it.

Bregante

I really fancy the idea of a shorter travel (130) frame that takes up to a 160 fork. More responsive whilst taking the edge off hits unlike a hardtail. Other than the Ragleys and the Mythic Spitfire, what else is there (I really don’t fancy the Cotic Hemlock and the Spitfire has bushings/alignment issues)

druidh
    Free Member

Mismatched travel has been about for years (and I don’t mean hardtails). Bit of the Emperors New Clothes thing going on.

bigsi
    Free Member

I quite like the idea of it but am unsure on the 29er model if it will make the front end too high so making it feel like you’re riding you’re grandmas shopper 😕

TooTall
    Free Member

bigsi – if you are proper big, you will eat up a higher front end. Too many 29ers have been trying to lower the front end for short people – my 29er has risers and spacers and it feels grrrrreat.

bigsi
    Free Member

Yeah i guess so TooTall.

I did like that about my Swift with its long headtube where as the Paradox has 40mm of spacers plus an Easton EA50 with 25 degree rise.

See now i want to try one.

Anyone know anywhere that do Ragley Demos in the south east, and yes i know its not available yet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So what's the thinking behind………’ is closed to new replies.