Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • So what would you do in the event of a mega-tsunami?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I agree Dazh! They should have put me in charge of it.

Thisisnotaspoon: You’d probably not die in the first 48 hours on high ground (but don’t discount hypothermia even in reasonably good weather) but your life would be more bearable with a Bug Out Bag and some supplies.

john_drummer
    Free Member

70+ miles from the sea and 500ft above sea level.
    What Tsunami?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It it reaches us we will be living on a small string of islands and I will have a lovely beach front property!

Northwind

We’re about 250m. Party at mine! Unless it’s snowing, you’ll never get up the hill.

emsz
    Free Member

Just near Gloucester. If its overcast we get flooded. So prolly drown

[whiney voice]

Northwind….

[\whiney voice]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Those of you who live at height would escape the immediate effects of a mega-tsunami, but soon you’d find yourselves having to accommodate homeless survivors. Oh and hope that the Dungeness nuclear power station had been decommissioned by then…

STATO
    Free Member

do you have a tin-foil hat in that bug-out-bag of yours 🙄

righog
    Free Member

I watched the program, why don’t we just slowly dismantle the volcano now and avoid the problem ?

ononeorange

Not sure it can get any blasted wetter around here after the last few “summers”.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Exactly what I had to do in 2004 when I heard one was on the way and I was kitesurfing off the One Eye in Mauritius, panic, have a dread feeling in the pit of my stomach as I raced to gather my family together, to get them to high ground, then rang the UK to try and get some news as to what exactly we could expect, not easy on Boxing day.

The worse thing is the lack of news, how big, which direction, etc etc.

If you are alone, then the best place is out to sea, you hardly notice them, they have a very long wave length and only tend to surge, like the tide going out then coming in all in one go, experienced one in Japan once a long time ago, but not as scary was the 2004 one, which as it happened just passed us as a tidal surge being the wrong/right side of the island, the took the brunt up north.

Very scary though if you have dependants around, not nice at all.

DavidB
    Free Member

I would play the song Fish Story and wait for the clever Japanese girl to sort it all out.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the coast will be a lot easier to get too and London will be destroyed beyond repair,…

its a win win for me 😀

CountZero

No problem where I live, 70 miles inland, and around 210′ above sea level, but I spend time down in South Hams, so provided I’m not in the pub in Beesands when it comes in I’d be ok, as the friends I stay with are 350′ higher up near Start Point, so I could stand up there and watch the wave pass by.
    It might not cause so much damage in Start Bay, as it faces east and Start Point would take most of the hit as the wave heads east.
    Salcombe would be screwed, though…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

So what would you do in the event of a mega-tsunami?

Just feel sorry for them, again.

However, if we had a mega-tidal wave here in the UK, now that might be a different story!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If a tsnumami reaches this far, then planet Earth is well and truly fubared.

You beat me to it, and yours was funnier!

molgrips
    Free Member

I am about 100 miles from the sea

I don’t think you do.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If it was windy too I’d go windsurfing.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Duck and cover, drop and roll or dodge and weave…. simples 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I’m in Derbyshire very close to the furthest point from any UK coastline, though not terribly high up. I suspect I’d be heading a bit higher up – top of Crich tower should provide a good view of it all!

busydog
    Free Member

Well, at 600 miles from the ocean and living at 6000 ft. if one hits here, we are all, wherever we might be, definitely screwed. 😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

epicyclo

I’m in the Highlands so probably ok. However anyone living in Inverness should know that there was a tsunami in the past that reached most of the way up Castle St.

funkmasterp

sandbags, lots of sandbags

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘So what would you do in the event of a mega-tsunami?’ is closed to new replies.