Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • So what would you do in the event of a mega-tsunami?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, I saw the BBC2 programme last night, and what a dog’s breakfast it was! They spent too much time on the hackneyed jittery, stacticky, false coloured camerawork and not enough on the science and simulations. So we know that some sort of tsunami would reach the south coast, but how high? I heard 75m, 7-10metres, and “the size of a two-storey house” all in the same programme. Perhaps they might have bothered to create a map of the likely efects of a best, medium, and worst-case scenario on the south coast?

Well, it may happen, but the odds are about the same as me being happy. The thing about Low Probability High impact events is that you’d have to be reaaly unlucky to witness one. But that said, I wonder what contingency plans exist for such an eventuality, and what would you do if you heard a tsunami was on its way?

Raymond

Drown I expect

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’d mooch up onto Tunstall Hill with some binoculars and hope for the best.

thepurist

Surf!

mt
    Free Member

Surf

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Dig out the surf board

Ro5ey
    Free Member

ha ha … snaked

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You can’t surf a tsunami. It’s the wrong kind of wave.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Might be for you grom boy

Gunz
    Free Member

1. Confirm where it was due to occur.
    2. Check if that was also the same place I was due to be.
    3. If the answer to the above was yes I would endeavour to move myself and my family to an area that would ensure the answer to the second point was no.
    4. If unable to achieve 3 I would drown.

pomona
    Free Member

I would be totally safe.

This is painted about 20m downhill from my house here in NZ

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The debris in the wave would pulverise you.

So, your plan? what should you do? Head for the highest ground that you can find as quickly as possible, or if that isn’t an option Evacuate High and hope for the best.

Houns

Might go for a bike ride if it was my day off

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nah … you haven’t seen my switchbacks or bottom turns… tight

yunki
    Free Member

bah.. I live in a natural geographical bowl.. we are 21 feet above sea level and less than a mile from the sea in two directions..

as long as the tsunami doesn’t reach any higher than 85 feet above sea level we’ll be ok..
    Realistically I’d be getting my family up the hill to the north, if only to reach the excellent vantage point a couple of miles up the road

Ro5ey
    Free Member

What tyres for a shed load of water …

andytherocketeer

If a tsnumami reaches this far, then planet Earth is well and truly fubared.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Sometimes the road isn’t the quickest, or most direct route to high ground, and bear in mind that everyone else might be wanting to do the same thing at the same time. Once you’ve reached your safe ground you’ll need to consider that you may be there for 48 hours while the series of tsunamis subsides and the flooding receeds. hopefully you’ll have taken what you need to sustain yourself for that length of time, or longer, with you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if my gaff gets underwater – aberdeens been obliterated – and cults – milltimber , and peterculter will all be gone and be under 85m of water and the only safe place left will be the cairngorms peaks.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey under prepaired people … I’m voting early doors for ohno to be the first we eat.

Damn all the Chianti will spoil floating about like that

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If you saw me, you wouldn’t want to eat me! 🙂 I’d taste as my forum posts are…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

What like Turkey you mean … a bit boring 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s not just the Canary Islands you need to watch…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunamis_affecting_the_British_Isles

br
    Free Member

Well, it may happen, but the odds are about the same as me being happy. The thing about Low Probability High impact events is that you’d have to be reaaly unlucky to witness one. But that said, I wonder what contingency plans exist for such an eventuality, and what would you do if you heard a tsunami was on its way?

If it was to affect us, pretty much 95% of the UK population would be stuffed – we are 30 miles from the sea (as the crow flies) and about 600 feet up.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But I’m thinking of the more likely low-impact scenario of a 10m wave.

toby1

Hah, I live in East Anglia, what is high ground?

andytherocketeer

Lincoln?

Cletus

http://www.earthtools.org/

The site above allows you to find your height above sea level.

63 metres for me (Cheltenham) with a nearby hill being 230 metres.

Pretty sure we would be ok 😀

theotherjonv

I live on a hill too. I guess I’d see a rise in the value, given it would a/ still be standing and b/ have excellent sea views

avdave2

You can’t surf a tsunami. It’s the wrong kind of wave.

I bet awesome surf matt could.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Well we have 3 Kayaks in the garden but given where we live I doubt I’ll be bothered by it. though if the sea level rises it does mean the South Coast will be closer so a wee bit handier for getting across to that urop. Every cloud and all that..

I reckon I’d be safe here in Worcestershire.
    I learned from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunamis_affecting_the_British_Isles that there’s a place called Doggerland. If I wasn’t so grown up and sensible, I’d probably find that amusing. 😐

lunge

I am about 100 miles from the sea so I think I would be ok. If pushed I would take a stroll to Clent which is approx. 300m above sea level.

Houns

I’d see you there lunge as that’s where I’d probably go for my ride. Sausage sarnie at the cafe before heading home

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They spent too much time on the hackneyed jittery, stacticky, false coloured camerawork and not enough on the science and simulations.

T’was ever thus.

dazh

I saw that programme too unfortunately. It’s a wonder that any self-respecting disaster documentary producer would allow their programme to finish with the line ‘But in the end, we just don’t know what would happen’. So what was the point in the previous 60 minutes of wild conjecture, sensationalist computer graphics (how many times did they use the one with the wave bulging up from the sea) and ridiculous script?

LoCo
    Free Member

Has anybody got a picture of the map?, my estimation would be that I’d have a nice water front property for a bit before it receeded as we’re a bit up the mountain from the valley floor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Once you’ve reached your safe ground you’ll need to consider that you may be there for 48 hours while the series of tsunamis subsides and the flooding receeds. hopefully you’ll have taken what you need to sustain yourself for that length of time, or longer, with you.

48 hours? You won’t even dehydrate in that time. Unless it’s a freak summer or very cold winter for 48 hours all you need is your underpants to avoid being arrested to indecent exposure (asuming theres a police person amongst the stranded and they have nothing more important to do).

unknown
    Free Member

Tsunami? I’d just bunny hop it.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I live on a hill too. I guess I’d see a rise in the value, given it would a/ still be standing and b/ have excellent sea views

I like your thinking!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘So what would you do in the event of a mega-tsunami?’ is closed to new replies.