Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • So these elections, has anything changed?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, a few councils here and there have changed hands, but they’ll still have to administer the Coalition cuts, whatever their political colour. And now the Tories are finding out that people don’t like them either, no suprise really, and the Lib-Dem airbag can only be deployed so often… But what I can’t understand is why people are returning to voting ‘Labour’. Yes, I know memories are short, but it has only been two years since the inept, authoritarian administration of Gordon Brown…

Discuss…

binners

Has anything changed? Well the con-dems will now have a lot more Labour councils to unfairly target the cuts on. So I presume this’ll mean even more money for you if you’re a Tory council in Surrey

jota180
    Free Member

So these elections, has anything changed?

Yes

The Tories have now got a better understanding of the causes of a lot of the problems we have and recent interviews/statements have thrown light on the root of many of them

The austerity cuts are because of the last Labour government
    The financial crisis is the fault of the borrowers
    The lack of growth is the fault of the Eurozone
    The poor election results are the fault of the LibDems
    Inflation above target is the fault of the BOE
    Unemployment is the fault of the last labour government or the LibDems

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ed millibands job is secure for the time being.

CaptJon
    Free Member

time for a cabinet reshuffle?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That is probably what is giving Cameron a warm glow inside…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well Cameron’s home is now situated in a Labour controlled ward.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I thought that ‘Labour’ had all but thrown in the towel on Ken’s behalf…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Intresting the rejection of elected mayers that eems to be happening.

A lot more pressure on the Lib Dems

Labour gets a better base to build from for the next general election

No scottish results yet but I am expecting it to a be a different picture to England and a lot of greens getting in.

julianwilson
    Free Member

jota 180: 😆 and 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mid-term protest vote. Same old same old.

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks a comfortable lead for BoJo currently.

vinnyeh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its interesting, because although certain people will undoubtebly tell us that this is a comment on the austerity programme, that voters are flooding back to Labour, the figures actually show something more interesting.

the Labour wins are partially down to a shift from Lib Dem to Labour – but also more significantly down to a swing from Conservative to UKIP

so, instead of a rejection of right wing policies for left wing ones – its actually an embracement of ‘even more right wing’ policies.

Here’s the latest CCTV in from the UKIP post election bash

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5bnVoZK4Q[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scottish results coming in – remeber is multi member constituencies so vaguely proportiaonal but with high threasholds and inbuilt inertia.

STIRLING COUNCIL: Full results, SNP 9 (+2); Labour 8 (no change); Conservative 4 Scottish Green 1 (+1); Liberal Democrats 0 (-3)

Edinburgh With nine of 58 seats declared it is clear the Lib Dem vote is down. In one ward their candidate got fewer first preference votes than Professor Pongo, an independent penguin.”

Looks like the lib dems are getting a real kicking – the tories are already down to their core vote and I don’t expect them to loose more

julianwilson
    Free Member

so, instead of a rejection of right wing policies for left wing ones – its actually an embracement of ‘even more right wing’ policies.

Not in our city it’s not.

-UKIP did unexpectedly poorly. -no more than a couple of hundred votes in each ward locally iirc. (I believe they now have a fantastic six whole council wards in the entire country though).

-Anger amongst locals about outgoing Conservative council’s cuts to social care and education, closure of one of the oldest municipal airports uin the UK and a rather unproductive sell-off of what was one of the last corporation-owned bus companies. ALso the small matter of them losing £13 million to high-interest Icelandic banks. (the risk is with the depositors, right Zulu? 😉 ) This is made all the more entertaining by the outgoing Conservative council leader and a local Conservative MP (and party whip) slinging mud at George and Dave 😆 .

-Successful (won back 5 wards and control of city council) Labour campaign based on provision of local services esp for elderly/vulnerable, and attempt to reverse or change the financial circumstances of a huge waste incinerator which will burn other LA’s waste at zero profit to the city coucil: all profit goes to the huge private enterprise bankrolling it.

A pretty old-skool leftist result for us locally really. Suprising given the very poor turnout, usually the stay-at-homes round here vote labour when they can be bothered, and clearly many didn’t bother.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LABOUR – (+7)
    SNP – (+5)
    CON – (-3)
    LIB DEM – (-9)

Thats the tally so far in Scotland
    Change in vote %

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cons won’t care. Mid terms are just ‘protest’ votes. Come the real crunch at General Election time people will abandon UKIP back to Cons, and some of those who voted Labour will sit down beforehand and think, mmm, do I really really want Ed Milliband running the country?

Expect hand wringing from Cons saying things have to get worse before they get better (hey, maybe conveniently in time for the next election? Tax breaks anyone?)

Though Lib Dems must be worried. They could be wiped out at a General if they lose much more of the vote to the main parties.

epicsteve
    Free Member

But what I can’t understand is why people are returning to voting ‘Labour’. Yes, I know memories are short, but it has only been two years since the inept, authoritarian administration of Gordon Brown…

Labour are the only major party not in power so it’s to be expected that they’ll do better in any mid-term elections. The same is happening in Scotland where they’re also not in power.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m surprised people are voting against having elected Mayor. I think most people in London like having someone directly elected by them who has that moral authority to stand up to central government. God knows it needed it. Ken and Boris both been good at that, I’d have thought Birmingham would have benefited from the same. Labour had some good candidates for the job.

mrmo
    Free Member

Though Lib Dems must be worried. They could be wiped out at a General if they lose much more of the vote to the main parties.

Not so sure, if you move away from the cities and the north, and return to the Lib Dem heartlands of the South West, the choice is Lib Dem or Tory for a large number of seats. and looking at the following map, seems a rural/urban thing as well.

current MP map

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lib dems are heading for total wipeout – especially in Scotland. They are finished as any sort of electoral force and quite rightly after their betrayal of their voters

epicsteve
    Free Member

There have only been results declared for 7 of the council seats that the Lib Dems did hold in Scotland and so far they’ve managed to hold only 2 of them, so it’s not looking like it’ll be a good day for them.

Scotland has seen them first jump into bed with Labour in the Scottish Parliament then do the same with the Tories UK-wide. It’s not surprising that they’re now being rejected as unprincipled tarts who’ll do anything for anyone who’ll give then the merest sniff of power & privilege.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jenny Dawes the lib dem leader of Edinburgh council has lost her seat 🙂 Shame. 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Who did you vote for Teej?

irc

@ TJ

Jenny Dawes the lib dem leader of Edinburgh council has lost her seat Shame.

While at the same time a penguin beats the Lib Dems in Pentlands.

And, in the capital’s Pentland Hills ward, an independent candidate dressed in a penguin suit, named Professor Pongoo, came ahead of the Lib Dems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17951118

project
    Free Member

Whatever promises they made, what ever wishes us the voterss asked for,they will be forgotten in a few weeks as more cuts and empire building goes on and on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Who did you vote for Teej? Not qht its any of your business.

We have preference votes so you list your candidates in order of preference.

I went Green, SNP, Labour but I had to hold my nose to get beyond my first preference of green. Couldn’t do any more – I had 2nd possible snp candidates and a real liberal, liberal democrat and a tory as well.. Both the local labour guy and SNP guy have been decent local counsellors. The green got in which is great – thats a gain.

Gonna be very interesting on Edinburgh council – previously it was an SNP lib dem coalition. Now they cannot make a majority. Local SNP and Labour don’t speak to each other, Labour can get a majority using the casting vote with green and lib dem support.

Goodness only knows how it will pan out.

Party Seats +/-
    Labour
    34.5% 20 5
    Scottish National Party
    31% 18 5
    Conservative
    19% 11 0
    Green
    10.3% 6 3
    Liberal Democrat
    5.2 3 -13

epicsteve
    Free Member

Certainly in Scotland it does look like one thing has changed – the Lib Dems are now completely destroyed as a political force. They’ve done so badly they’ve got significantly less than half the number of council seats as the Tories do now, and so far they’ve lost more seats than they’ve kept.

nickjb
    Free Member

Bristol is getting a mayor (with 13% saying yes). The council seem to be pretty unpopular with the masses, so that might have something to do with it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Egged!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘So these elections, has anything changed?’ is closed to new replies.