Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • So I've had an interesting afternoon – Abuse content!
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

After passing my cbt I wanted to get a 125cc for getting used to bikes before the big test. I fancied a honda cbr and after searching around I decided to have a look at one up north. Can’t remember if it was Wick or Thurso. I managed to get a shot of a transit that I could take it home in so I filled it up and off I went from south of Inverness.It’s a long drive up there and if anyone knows the road before and beyond Berrydale Brae’s then they’ll have a good idea of what it’d be like in a transit on a windy night.This endless drive with a big roof rack made me want to take this bike home even more so.Even if it was the wrong freekin colour I would have probably still considered it. After arriving at the town I called the guy and like your experience,peter.. he sounded like he couldn’t be arsed telling me where he stayed,let alone about the bike! Big pauses on the phone and giving me next to useless directions to the ‘house’..I arrived and knocked on his door. The guy looked and sounded like Andy Pipkin,the wheelchair guy played by M.Lucas/little britain (mind you,he probably thought the same about me :O)) I knew it was going to be tough. He led me through the corridor sporting the filthiest skirting boards I have ever seen to the back door. Never have I nearly suffocated myself by holding my breath walking through someone’s house but that night tested my lungs like a pro free diver. God knows what he was trying to cook (or eat)

Anyway,the bike stood there at the back door with a cover over it. He muttered something about it like ‘i told you it was a honda replica on the phone’ if I remember right. I think I got a bit confused at this point and angry at the same time as the ‘Honda’ was revealed. I think I remember spotting the corroded wheels and then the brown chain to begin with.. and before I knew it I could witness the furry bolt heads elsewhere. Not to mention not a sight of the word ‘Honda’ anywhere on the bike.. just Hyosung (pretty sure it was one of those)

I was shocked and said something along the lines of ‘its not even a Honda..and its nowhere near good condition.. right,what a waste of time that was’ as I walked back through his corridor of doom without saying another word.

Raging. Effin’ raging all the way back to home!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

there are bargains out there my car old t reg corsa 1lt loverly run around in 2 years its cost £78 in spares and cost £400 with full mot and 6 months tax then my van 51 plate merc vito 2lt diesel clean low milage 81,000 alpine stereo focal speakers genesis amp (read bloody loud and crystal clear :wink:) £1300 no dents and full service history and new conti winter sprinter tyres fitted all round the seller brought it new to move house and too take his go kart to races

id ignore the guy PP he sounds like a LOON

sugdenr
    Free Member

As my mate once said to a chap who had mis-described – ‘I’m looking for a car in a condition that makes me want to buy it, not looking like I have already owned it’

Cougar

It’s certainly possible to get a cheap, reasonable runabout if you’re persistent, I don’t think it’s a big ask at all. In the past I’ve bought a couple of sub-£500 cars; last one was a Cavalier which lasted me the six months it needed to, after which time it owed me nothing.

CountZero

The car I had before my Puma was a ‘C’ reg Nova hatchback, advertised for £500 parked by the side of the road. I really needed a car, and a quick look around with a torch in an almost dark car park later I said I’d have it. Brilliant little car, I got some cheap Nova alloys from a breaker and drove it for four years.
    When I got the Puma, I couldn’t get rid of it, no-one wanted scrap cars, (2003), and I was going to give it to the breaker I got the alloys from, as he said he could get some money for those. The evening before it was due to go a lady from down the road called in and asked if it was still available, as her student son needed something dirt cheap. I sold it for £150, and used to see it about sometimes.
    Anyway, about a year later, I happened to see him and a mate loading it up so I stopped and asked how it was going.
    His face lit up, said it was the best money he’d ever spent, only had to put fuel and some oil in, and replace an alternator, and he’d done nearly 19,000 miles in it! I averaged 5000/year… 😯
    PP, you were a lot more restrained than I’d have been. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Update:

Just bought a right old barge! 1998 Vauxhall Omega 2.0i CDX, 130k, bit of rust here and there but it’s tidy, clean inside and loaded with toys: Climate control, cruise control, elec windows all round, elec seats, heated seats elec sunroof, 6 disc CD, parking sensors etc. Tyres all OK, new exhaust, partial service history

Just needs a new battery

£400.

🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

That’s a proper barge! Bass player in a band I used to be in had the estate, and it swallowed up soooooo much kit, his was well good. You could do cheap rough-as-rats airports transfers for extra pennies too. 😀

toby1

Challenge is to see if you can put another 100k on the clock (not that you’d want to after the ankle heals I’m sure!)

faz083
    Free Member

Add his number to all laser eye surgery callback request forms. Used to do it to a few mates as a laugh, and they are persistent buggers.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Crikey £400 for a new battery ……. that’s a bit steep 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Crispy – Ho Ho Ho ! My sides are splitting 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘So I've had an interesting afternoon – Abuse content!’ is closed to new replies.