Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Just bought a Kronolog from Germany
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Thanks digger can you post up some pics from your testing. How many miles have you been riding with the Kronolog. What kind of conditions were you using it?

Would be good to know how it compares to other dropper posts.

downhilldave

Knurled surface Digger? Have you stumped up your cash or are you guessing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m surprised you lot got the the end of the review after Pinkbike reveled that they turned the bike upside down to fix punctures…..

(just off to decide which mallets I’m getting next)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Does CB actually employ anyone with any Engineering experience at all, or do they just have kids pointing at pics in magazines and sending orders to factories in Taiwan to produce utter cr@p?

my guess woyuld be that they’ve got a big team of Product Design Engineers, so they end up with pretty kit with (real world) functionality as an afterthought

Digger90
    Free Member

Do I own one? No.

Can I read? Yes.

Is there any similar industrial application of bar clamps on a dynamically adjustable, high frequency moving part? No.

Has there ever been a reliable use of knurling inside a seal? No.

Believe whatever you believe, but it’s sh1te.

When you’ve just bought something people always want to hear it’s the best thing ever.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/seat-post-seat-pin/product/review-crank-brothers-kronolog-46205

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Crankbrother-Kronolog-Telescoping-Seat-Post-Tested-2012.html

toys19
    Free Member

legend, you speak as though you have experience …

digger +1 it looks shit.

wrecker
    Free Member

digger + 2
    A complete dog. I’d like to register my surprise that Crank Bros have managed to **** up this design. I mean, the Joplins (1,2,3 and 4) were sooooo reliable. 😆

bedmaker

I don’t think you need to be an engineer to know that that is a really crap design which is doomed to fail pretty quickly.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

my guess woyuld be that they’ve got a big team of Product Design Engineers, so they end up with pretty kit with (real world) functionality as an afterthought

Agree – except I’d call them Industrial Designers, no ‘Engineer’ in the job title!

Digger, I agree!

I’ve said in another thread but I was heavily involved in the design, development and manufacturing for a leading brand of bar clamp using the jamming plate mechanism. In my experience, a seatpost is the wrong application for this and aluminium is not durable enough to sustain the clamping force and wear. I tried to be tactful and subtle, but predicted the failure seen in the reviews.

Real shame, cable location looks great.

legend
    Free Member

toys19 –
    legend, you speak as though you have experience …

I’m a Production Engineer, filtering out ropey stuff is part of the job. Luckily never had to knock back anything as shite as that though!

honourablegeorge

Digger90 – Member

Has there ever been a reliable use of knurling inside a seal? No.

Holy shit. I didn’t realise the knurling came out from below the seal. That’s insane – dragging dirt inside, wearing the seal…. how did they even begin to think that would work?

passtherizla
    Free Member

madness…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Ah I see now, its arm chair expert day on STW.

I obviously didn’t receive the memo. 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Id be as grumpy as you stevewhyte if Id been fleeced into beta testing for CB.

passtherizla
    Free Member

My chair doesn’t have arms…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its funny there is more pish on this forum that the mens urinals at Waverly station.

So far my Kronolg is working perfectly, will wait and see if it remains so over the next few months. I am more than happy, unlike most of the folk on here who like the sound of their own voices.

toys19
    Free Member

Well everyone has to make a decision about what products they buy, which means you have to become your own expert, or do you just believe the manufacturers when they say the product is fine, and any wear is down to poor cable adjustment.
    How do you propose we make judgements about what products are good then? Is there a recognised seatpost guru out there who you would refer to?

edit:

So far my Kronolg

Ahh I see, my armchair expertise calls biased opinion from you because you need to justify your own purchase.

neilforrow

just because it is sold on the open market, dons’t make it good

retro83
    Free Member

That’s annoying, I was really hoping this would be the one to get.

Clear to see from the pictures above that this design is going to be problematic in its current form. Feels like the early days of suspension forks again 😆

warton
    Free Member

FIFY

I’ve said in another thread but I was heavily involved in the design, development and manufacturing for a leading brand of bar clamp using the jamming plate mechanism. In my experience, a seatpost is the wrong application for this and aluminium is not durable enough to sustain the clamping force and wear. I tried to be tactful and subtle, but predicted the failure seen in the reviews.

You’ve every right to be upset, you’ve bought a lemon…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well guys this is what a warranty is for, if it works then it’s great if it doesn’t -> Refund

Glad to see were all busy today!

FuzzyWuzzy

So is anyone running a KS Lev yet? They seem to be available for purchase from Germany. It’s either that or the Reverb left as options and I’m not a fan of the Reverb’s design…

toys19
    Free Member

fuzzy wuzzy interested in the lev – link to purchase site?

druidh
    Free Member

A general question; how important is having the “infinite” positions thing? Seems to me that there’s only generally a need for full-up and fully-down, although I can accept that there might be a third option between them somewhere.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

druid, I use ‘somewhere inbetween’ all the time.
    Fast flowing undulating singletrack? A small drop lets you shift around and pump the bike but take the odd rest.
    Techy climb? As above, get the seat out of your crack on rock steps but still have the odd rest.
    I’d say my post spends half its time at varying places somewhere in the middle…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A general question; how important is having the “infinite” positions thing? Seems to me that there’s only generally a need for full-up and fully-down, although I can accept that there might be a third option between them somewhere.

Quite important, the 3rd option you speak of is the key one – anywhere between the first 2 depending on what your doing

toys19
    Free Member

yeah I love the reverb infinite adjustment, I just press the switch, lower my arse to the right level and set.

I had not realised the ks lev was so flippin expensive I had hoped it would be a cheap reverb alternative.

FuzzyWuzzy

oops my bad, just checked the site again and noticed the June 9th bit which I guess is the availability doh. http://www.bike-mailorder.de/shop/MTB/Sattelstuetzen-und-Klemmen/Vario-und-Federstuetzen/Kind-Shock-LEV-Teleskop-Stuetze-2012-385mm::30283.html

toys19
    Free Member

yeah but 249 euros is better than 300 odd quid on wiggle..

ChrisL

I initially used middling amounts of drop quite a lot but the longer I have my KS i900s the more I tend to use full up and full down. I do still use middling amounts of drop but not as much as I used to. I reckon that good lever placement and a fast action would make it even easier to live without infinite adjustment.

honourablegeorge

stevewhyte – Member
    Its funny there is more pish on this forum that the mens urinals at Waverly station.

So far my Kronolg is working perfectly, will wait and see if it remains so over the next few months. I am more than happy, unlike most of the folk on here who like the sound of their own voices.

Feel free to disregard the armchair experts, but PinkBike, BikeRadar and BikeRumour have all now posted long term reviews with the same failure. Most of the thread is people commenting on those. It’s pretty rare to see a bike part get a bad review nowadays. For one to get three bad reviews in two days…

jam-bo

Bike radar still gave it three stars despite it failing after two months. How does that work then?

FuzzyWuzzy

Advertising :p

GavinB

^ that’s funny 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Toys you crack me up, i will form an opinion from actually using it, you form yours from what exactly.

I’ll stick to my way thanks.

legend
    Free Member

you form yours from what exactly

three reports from reputable sources that all say there are serious issues with the post I believe it was.

Seems fair enough to me.

Personally I’d be quite happy to see Crank Bros sink without a trace. Form > Function just really doesn’t work for me

toys19
    Free Member

So Steve did you buy every available model of uppy downy post to come to your decision then? What you are suggesting is that rather than pick one adjustable seatpost based on a collection of user reviews, magazine reviews and my own armchair opinion on how good the design is, I just buy all of the seatposts on the market and verify which is best through use? Is this how you decide on all your purchases then?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I can only assume steve you believe bikerumor pics are photoshopped? Or the post was deliberately damaged and its a conspiracy? Feel free to continue to pursue purchase justification in the face of contrary evidence, and report back in a couple of months with an update on how your post is going.

How many hours/drop cycles have you put yours through so far?

And to answer another Q, I went from “infinite” (Joplin) to 3 position (GD Multi) and didnt miss the infinite as the middle position is the one I use (as another poster said) for techy stuff, gentle inclines etc where it perfects my position. A two position (fully up/down) would lose a lot of the benefit and useability.

turbo1397
    Free Member

As someone suggested earlier, we need a spesh command blacklite post with cable routing of the kronolog.. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a Kronolog from Germany’ is closed to new replies.