Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • So I see that diesel is about 4p/litre more than petrol
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

When did that happen then? I’m sure it was ‘only’ 2p/litre more than petrol not long ago 😥
    And while we’re on the subject, why is more expensive? is it:
    [list]
    [*]a) It costs more to produce[/*]
    [*]b) the oil companies are thieving bar stewards who are charging more for diesel as it has grown in popularity[/*]
    [/list]
    (I think I know the answer but just wanted to check.)

djglover
    Free Member

demand for diesel is growing faster than for petrol

grantus
    Free Member

from what I remember, around 3 years ago last time I had my car there, it was around 1 or 2 cents per litre cheaper for diesel in France than for petrol. Of course, this may be due to the french government taxing diesel lower than petrol, I don’t know.

At one point around 18 months ago it was 5-6p per litre dearer here for diesel. Doesn’t it take less refining?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its actually slightly cheaper to produce than petrol.

Its a con, i think the tax on derv is slightly higher. I blame the tory scumbags myself. 😆

5lab

diesel costs more in the winter (compared to petrol) as its used as heating oil in a lot of countries (so demand is higher).

you’ll probably see that by december its 6-8p more, and by may its down to 2p again

tax on diesel is the same as on standard ron petrol. Tax on diesel in europe is less than petrol (hence why its cheaper there)

Stoner
    Free Member

the duty on diesel used to be higher, but is now the same at about 56p ish per litre.

I was under the impression that while diesel is cheaper to produce, we have less refining capacity in the UK for diesel than petrol, so the price difference is a supply side thing.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

3 weeks ago in Norway Diesel was cheaper compared to petrol (by their equivalent to a few pence i.e. 1/2 krone or something).

UK government taxes the fuel before it goes into your tank, because you’re no doubt paying less on your Vehicle Excise (”Road” TAX) due to less emissions .. at least by the way that they measure emission anyway though I’m sure that’ll change once they decide to work on the NOx, other particulates and other stuff that Diesel theoretically produces more of

CountZero

There’s supposed to be a lack of refining capacity in the UK for diesel. It appears to have been that way for ages, so why hasn’t capacity been increased? Or would that mean the companies would have no excuse but to reduce the price of diesel and thus their profits.

brassneck

diesel costs more in the winter (compared to petrol) as its used as heating oil in a lot of countries (so demand is higher).

I’m sure you’re right, but it may please you to know I got shafted on price for heating oil over summer too – nearly 20p a L more than I’ve paid at best in the last 4 years. Was running on vapour to heat the water for weeks just hoping it’d drop a bit.

andyl
    Free Member

doesnt diesel have a higher energy density and thus carries more duty per litre?

tada: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_efficiency#Energy_content_of_fuel

Stoner
    Free Member

duty is not linked to efficiency.

birky
    Free Member

Fuel price comparison for europe;

http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2011/august2011-overseas.pdf

Seems to be only us and the swiss that pay more for diesel than petrol.

UK; http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2011/august2011.pdf

andyl
    Free Member

just back from googlr…

duty the same, diesel just more expensive before duty and VAT.

Maybe it is because:

1. new diesel fuels cost more to make
    2. diesel cars are generally more efficient so use less fuel so fuel companies can get away with charging a bit more.
    3. the fuel companies pretend they are pricing per kw of energy instead of per litre.

stumpy01

Cynic in me reckons it’s this:

More people buying diesel cars = stick the price up and make more money from it.

As diesel cars get more mpg people are probably more tolerant of paying a bit more for diesel as it gets them further.

Probably not right, but I like being cynical.

ransos
    Free Member

Supply and demand innit. In any case, a litre of diesel has more calories than a litre of petrol, so you’re getting more for your money.

highclimber
    Free Member

In any case, a litre of diesel has more calories than a litre of petrol

so if I drink petrol instead as part of a calorie controlled diet, I’ll lose weight?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Demand issues as a result of company car / efficiancy policy. i acn only get diesel on my car scheme.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

who cares? diesel tastes better, looks better when used as hair gel and is a far more sophisticated after shave to say nothing of it’s qualities as a vaginal lubricant

konabunny
    Free Member

why hasn’t capacity been increased? Or would that mean the companies would have no excuse but to reduce the price of diesel and thus their profits.

Derp – whoever increased capacity would sell much more of it and have lower cost of production.

tron
    Free Member

You refine crude oil and you get fairly standard proportions of petrol, diesel, bitumen etc. out.

You can rework the output to make more diesel and less other stuff, but like any rework, that costs.

The other issue is that diesel always used to be taxed less than petrol, now it isn’t.

Dibbs
    Free Member

As diesel cars get more mpg people are probably more tolerant of paying a bit more for diesel as it gets them further.

Probably. 🙁

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Actually the duty on diesel was reduced many years ago to make it 2p cheaper than petrol as it was deemed to be less polluting and therefore to be encouraged. I don’t recall this particular action being specifically reversed so the difference is even greater than it appears.

Edukator
    Free Member

Diesel more expensive? It’s about 20 euro cents cheaper at my local supermarket.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘So I see that diesel is about 4p/litre more than petrol’ is closed to new replies.