Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sorry, yet another 'what tyre' thread.
  • karen805
    Free Member

The OH needs a new rear tyre on his Bokor, it’s currently got Maxxis Ignitor’s, the front tyre is fine.

Best to stick with the Ignitor’s? As I see lots of reviews on the High Rollers and Minion’s and not many about the Ignitor’s.

Riding is mainly singletrack (Ashton Court and Forest of Dean), but heading to the Alps on Saturday!

roddi18
    Free Member

I am a big fan of a minion on the front and would definitely recommend them for the alps.
    I ran a front minion on both ends and really like that grip but for general trail riding find it a bit slow on the rear so use a maxxis ardent which is essentially a skinny minion. Ardents are great on the front too until it gets wet and greasy and they struggle

karen805
    Free Member

The Ardent look like a good tyre, thanks.

On another note, my bike came with Conti Mountain King’s fitted, I’ve been told by a few people to change them as they puncture a lot. Any opinions?

roddi18
    Free Member

I’m afraid not as i haven’t ever ridden with them.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ardents not too shabby at all they have tall flexible sidewalls so they are a bit slow to get going but otherwise they take the knocks and take the sting out of the trail. Roll quite well on the rear and hook up surprisingly well providing the terrain is dry-ish.

CrossMarks are not dissimilar but they are lighter and have a tauter feel. Not happy at all in wet/greasy conditions

Minions also excellent in their own way but a kilogram is a lot of rubber to be pedalling round. 2.35 DHF is the lightest but the tractor tread on the low-volume carcass always looks and feels like a mistake in the Maxxis factory, although it works OK on the back.

Mountain Kings no worse than any other tyre re punctures although the non-Chilli versions are a bit plasticky. If you are OK with them there’s no reason to change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, yet another 'what tyre' thread.’ is closed to new replies.