Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • So I put Alien on for my daughter last night…
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Salmon. Someone did the maths. It would take about 2 seconds to decompress the hangar.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Salmon. Someone did the maths. It would take about 2 seconds to decompress the hangar.

Well, yeah, no doubt IRL they wouldn’t all be right as rain again after a few minutes of gasping on the floor when the door shuts again.

But if the main objection is essentially the size of the ship/hangar rather than the basic principle then personally I can let that slide in a film like that.

maccruiskeen

Likewise Godfather and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Classic cinema is in the fold for a reason. It transcends technology and CGI capabilities.

Neither of those would be filmed with that much CGI these days

Theres often as much if not more CGI/ and green screen in films like that than if films you’d think of as ‘special effects’ film. Its exactly because what they are showing you is mundane and realistic rather than fantastical that you don’t notice them

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDjorAhcnbY[/video]

maccruiskeen

this is rather interesting in that respect too

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBC5bwV5y0[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

I think the older a film gets the more suspension of disbelief is required, you have to want to buy in to the world the film creates. Much more so for sci-fi, fantasy etc. I think if you enjoyed a film “back in the day” it’s much easier to suspend your disbelief and relive the experience of watching it.

I love watching The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger every time they are on TV. I love the artistry that went into them and I still remember how terrified they made me as a kid. My wife just laughs at them and thinks they are ridiculous hokey old crap.

gofasterstripes

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/alien-0

You mean Alien the 18 rated film?

It’s worth mentioning that Alien was rated “R” in the states since it’s release ie
    “Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian. Contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their young children with them.”

So under 18s have been watching it since it’s release over there. Hopefully, no one died.

hels
    Free Member

Interesting isn’t it – the “futuristic” space travel elements don’t look dated at all, which just shows how little progress has been made in the technology. The British astronaut guy came back from the space station in something the Russians put together with Lego probably before Alien was released.

The computing technology, on the other hand…

(p.s makes you think, doesn’t it ?)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Show her again when she’s a bit older again and she’ll get it

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So I put Alien on for my daughter last night…’ is closed to new replies.