Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So I put Alien on for my daughter last night…
  • the-muffin-man

…she’s 13 and she just laughed at it. At the technology, at the sets, at the effects and at the now obvious bloke in an outfit.

I just got – ‘is this that scary, awesome film you’ve been going on about for years dad? Doctor Who is scarier’. Closely followed by ‘Look at the shit tellies’ and ‘haven’t they got touch screen’. She only cared about the cat.

I feel sort of abused now, my view of the film has now been soiled.

🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every time I watch it I still jump, it has the see nothing do everything part that nobody does anymore. The part where they didn’t tell anyone the alien was coming out of his chest to make sure the reaction was real etc. I guess this generation wants to see the gore.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The Exorcist next Friday night?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I need to stop browsing in my tiny phone. I only clicked to see who Allen was.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still a classic.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/alien-0

You mean Alien the 18 rated film?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Nope I think she is just being Female and Teen. Let #1 watch it last year at 12. Rivited to edge of seat for the duration.

Likewise Godfather and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Classic cinema is in the fold for a reason. It transcends technology and CGI capabilities.

mogrim

Do you really think it would be rated 18 today?

Anyway, if I wanted to show it to my kids I would. Don’t think I’ll bother given the OP’s review 🙂

mogrim

Likewise Godfather and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Classic cinema is in the fold for a reason. It transcends technology and CGI capabilities.

Neither of those would be filmed with that much CGI these days, either – retouching, maybe some scenery – they’re not SF films which date much faster.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Good the bad and the ugly is rated 18. Would not even get a 15 these days.

andyg1966

I watched Alien with my then 15yr old son. Totally unfazed by it after I’d bigged it up as an all time classic.

I still prefer Aliens though!

jekkyl

now try her with the first Robocop. I’d buy that for a dollar!

the-muffin-man

It’s rated 15 now according the Channel 4 programme rating. And after watching it last night for the first time in 10yrs or so, you see far worse on normal TV now.

The Exorcist next Friday night?

Even I laughed at the Exorcist – I’ve never found it scary.

I still prefer Aliens though!

Me too! But I had to start at the start with her, it may take some convincing to get her to watch it though.

ianfitz
    Free Member

The Shining? I remember a school friend being too scared to walk home on his own after we watched it one afternoon…

z1ppy

Did you sit in a pitch black room to watch it? Ambience is everything.
    I still find the thought of watching it makes me anxious, Aliens is easier & prefered (due to big guns & ‘nuke em from orbit’ line) though still makes me jump.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wonder whether Hammer Horror films were ever scary in their day

DezB
    Free Member

Try a modern film: “Freaks of Nature” – my kid enjoyed that one.
    And he liked the Terminator films…. (oh god, it’s an 18 call the NSPCC! 😆 )

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Scared the shit outta me at 8, but not as much as RoboCop, yikes!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The Shining? I remember a school friend being too scared to walk home on his own after we watched it one afternoon…

Was talking about this just the other day. Watched it at a pals house one afternoon when we were about 12 or 13. I had to cycle home in the dark in the snow, missed the shortcut out and cycled down the middle of the road for much of it!

Drac

Films rated 18 are for adults. No-one under 18 is allowed to see an 18 film at the cinema or buy / rent an 18 rated video. No 18 rated works are suitable for children.

Yes that’s the one, the one he can watch in his own home with his daughter.

footflaps

I think it’s aged very well, watched the Blu-ray recently and it’s still a brilliant film.

I love the opening scene of the Nostromo waking up….

Olly
    Free Member

Event Horizon. Still struggle with that, though possibly cause watching the build ups i know some horrible stuff is about to happen

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

John Carpenter’s The Thing is another claustrophobic horror classic with FX that people growing up with slick CGI would probably laugh at. Good old fashioned physical stuff. And still, along with Alien, one of my favourites.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The opearting theatre scene still works for me ! By the way the director did not tell the actors what was going to happen 🙂 When we did the Disney ride with my kids (7 and 8 ) they where terrified 😯 bad parenting choice

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was only asking. Sheesh…

bencooper
    Free Member

The thing about Alien is it’s just so beautifully designed:

Ron Cobb’s Semiotic Standards for Alien…

loddrik
    Free Member

My 10 year old also was pretty non plussed with Alien. But was terrified by the Conjuring… 😕

MoreCashThanDash

My son has learnt to run out the room when he hears me tell him “this film/song/comedy/concert is a classic you have to see this’ll

Saves him feeling pity and embarrassment.

dumbbot
    Free Member

At the end of the first Alien, ripley puts on a space suit and fastens herself to a chair before blasting the alien out the airlock.
    At the end of the second Aliens when fighting the stupid, unscary, crappy CGI’d Queen alien she’s hanging out in space, bay doors wide open.?! Every child knows space is a vacuum, so they’ll just find it as laughable as i do..

Northwind

It’s just like how some films are set in a version of the past as imagined in the present- Aliens is set in the future as it was imagined in the past. Nobody takes the mick when we discover something from prehistory that contradicts The Land Before Time.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

>dumbot
    Except there’s no cgi

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It was quite funny when the alien runs across the dinner table lol.

A different take:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ePMb7um9E[/video]

dumbbot
    Free Member

Except there’s no cgi..

Ok blue screen, i know what i meant 😆

spaceballs,..that was brilliant, must watch that again

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It was 1986. Not as laughable as a: the original alien death. Or b: dick Jones’ demise in Robocop.

Whilst we’re at it, show them American Werewolf. That’ll separate the men from the boys

deadkenny
    Free Member

I often think Alien holds up well for a 70s film. The only dated stuff is the CRTs but otherwise is fine. Though for a 13 year old these days it doesn’t have enough action going on to satisfy the short attention spans and the type of film like this and The Shining where suspense is truly frightening just seems to go over their heads. Their senses dulled by mindless CGI action flicks and jump out of your skin every minute horror films, perhaps.

Aliens on the other hand I find dates more. Some cheesy 80s stuff in it and more obvious effects. Though I’ve always preferred Alien to Aliens.

jekkyl – Member
    now try her with the first Robocop. I’d buy that for a dollar!

Must be the full uncensored version with the full length Murphy shooting scene.

Actually I always find that funny. It’s so over the top, but that’s what’s cool about Robocop, and likewise all Verhoeven films. The violence is brutal, over the top and comical. A lot of political satire in them.

Likely kids would just spot the “dated” special effects and think it’s dumb.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I wish they’d take the deadpool effect and use it on the Robocop reboot

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Conversely, my daughter, who is 12, woke up twice last night after watching pirates of the Caribbean, which is a 12.

moonsaballoon

Event Horizon. Still struggle with that, though possibly cause watching the build ups i know some horrible stuff is about to happen

I went to see that in the cinema , i want to see it again but still cant bring myself to watch it again .

I cant wait till my boy is older and i can make him watch predator , aliens , commando , usual suspects , total recall and a whole load of other stuff usually on itv 4 at 10pm .

I remember watching the wild geese with my dad and crying my eyes out when Richard Burton had to shoot Richard Harris

MrSalmon
    Free Member

she’s hanging out in space, bay doors wide open.?! Every child knows space is a vacuum, so they’ll just find it as laughable as i do..

Don’t see a problem with this scene? She’s not hanging out in space, she’s still basically in the ship, and the air is rushing out into space… because it’s a vacuum.

The bit that always does bug me, though, is when the dropship is released when they first go down to the planet. It drops like a stone, but wouldn’t it just sort of hang there?
    I give them the benefit of the doubt by assuming it’s supposed to get some sort of push, but it always looks wrong to me.

martinhutch

This +!. In a darkened room. I was jump-scaring at the screen going black in between scenes…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So I put Alien on for my daughter last night…’ is closed to new replies.